Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Atari Problems

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I bought an Atari ST 520 a while ago for £5 with mouse and loads of joysticks and about 50 floppys packed with games. It worked perfectly on my old tv and I just left it under my bed for a while. I now have a new tv and decided to try the Atari out again and plugged it in and when the GUI loaded there was a big black line across the top. I messed with the tuning and couldn't improve it, so I thought hmm, maybe it'll work with a game. So I put in a disk and booted it and the menu worked fine, no problems. I ran a game and whoa screen mess, lines everywhere and shakey picture, messed with the tuning, nothing. I tried changing the refresh on the atari to 60hz and it made things a whole lot worse. The sound is perfect.

See the picture to see what I mean.

Could anyone please help?

:: 1.8 gHZ AMD Duron :: 256 MB Ram :: 32 MB SiS Graphics ::

:: Current Project: Sea Bound ::

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Osiris
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2005 05:51
looks like a problem with the t.v. refresh rate the newer t.v's refresh faster to cope with the cable television

Pricey
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeh, the TV is cable compatable. Its a 14" Beko cheap thing. My spectrum works fine on it though...

Osiris
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2005 05:55
well then maybe its not connected good enough or maybe try cleaning it up nice because the cords on those older things a re really crappy

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2005 06:24
It is quite easy to damage the modulator (the bit inside where the aerial lead plugs in). If someone stands on the aerial lead it can break contacts inside and it's a real bugger to fix. Of course... There's always that monitor socket.

Van-B

It's c**p being the only coder in the village.
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2005 09:11
The ST will expect very specific timing from the TV - what frequency does yours run at? They were designed in an era when it was 50 or 60 hz only. I believe some modern TVs actually cannot sync that low! Of course, your modulator could be duff too, try it on a different TV to find out Sound is handled differently - you could have no display at all and still have perfectly working sound.

Cheers,

Rich

Super Joe crack combat soldier fights a long battle against overwhelming odds.
Pricey
Years of Service
User Offline
The TV runs at 50hz and 60hz. I think it could be the modulator... What sort of monitor do I need? Its a non standard connector.

Yu Une
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2005 18:26
Hmm.. looks like it's not quit in sync, does your computer have a switch somewere kind of like a channel 3 channal 4, if so then switch your computer depending if it has that.

Hope this helps.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2005 18:40
Well the modulator is a little silver box inside the ST, it's connector is like a phono output on a hi-fi, the end of the aerial is the same as a phono lead, so it might be worth trying another cable, you'd really need another 520ST to replace the modulator, although it looks more like a dodgy connection. These solid cables can be easy to break inside, but chopping the end off your existing cable and fitting a new phono jack onto it should not be too difficult.

Also, there's a little screw beside the aerial socket, there's a hole you should be able to get a small flat head screwdriver into, this changes the frequency that the ST's modulator transmits at - try adjusting this. IIRC the ST interfeered with the bandwidth of certain types of video recorder, adjusting the frequency might fix it but you will need to re-tune your TV.

EBay would be a good source for monitors, I've no idea what sort of prices they go for though. Do you know anyone with an old AmstradCPC monitor though? - they can be madified to work on ST's by rewiring then to suit the ST's monitor port.

Van-B

It's c**p being the only coder in the village.
Pricey
Years of Service
User Offline
Thankyou! I'll look into what you said, I've tried many different RF cables.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 10:19:37
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 10:19:37