Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / microsoft finally beta testing a spyware tool

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2005 23:49
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx

Windows AntiSpyware (Beta) is a security technology that helps protect Windows users from spyware and other potentially unwanted software. Known spyware on your PC can be detected and removed. This helps reduce negative effects caused by spyware including slow PC performance, annoying pop-up ads, unwanted changes to Internet settings, and unauthorized use of your private information. Continuous protection improves Internet browsing safety by guarding over 50 ways spyware can enter your PC.

Participants in the worldwide SpyNet™ community play a key role in determining which suspicious programs are classified as spyware. Microsoft researchers quickly develop methods to counteract these threats, which are automatically downloaded to your PC, so you stay up-to-date.

If no-one gives your an answer to a question you have asked, consider:- Is your question clear.- Did you ask nicely.- Are you showing any effort to solve the problem yourself
Aoneweb
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2005 23:56
Spybot search and destroy.

Toshiba Sattelite, 2GHz,Nvidia GeForce4 420go, Windows XP Home. www.aoneweb.com
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2005 23:58
im with you there mate, im just pointing it out

If no-one gives your an answer to a question you have asked, consider:- Is your question clear.- Did you ask nicely.- Are you showing any effort to solve the problem yourself
Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2005 00:16
For the lazy ones: http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx

If this is free I might as well add a 3rd spyware catcher

Aoneweb
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2005 00:21
Seems like Microsoft have always been slow off the mark when it comes to security issues, I mean search and destroy has been in development for some time now and as I am sure you will agree Indi should be on everyone’s computer, as this is an awesome bit of software.
Thanks for keeping us upto date.

Toshiba Sattelite, 2GHz,Nvidia GeForce4 420go, Windows XP Home. www.aoneweb.com
Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2005 00:24
Every computer I have to fix a problem on (family are useless ) I install it, and depending on my permission several other programs

Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2005 00:37
Bump because it's quite important/useful

If you make the program run actively it stops changes to your settings etc, sort of like a firewall. Since as far I have seen Search and Destroy doesn't do this it's quite good

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2005 01:00
About bloody time. I can't believe how slow they are-- this should have been in Service Pack 2 at the reasonable latest. It's been a major problem for half a decade or more.

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2005 06:43
MS has announced it will cost extra $$$ for this.

--[GameBasic - Coming Soon]-- ^^^ banner generously designed by TheBigBabou
Philip
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2005 07:39
Thats outrageous given most spyware exploited holes are caused by MS in the first place.

Roll on Linux.

Philip

What do you mean, bears aren't supposed to wear hats and a tie? P3.2ghz / 1 gig / GeForce FX 5900 128meg / WinXP home
blanky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2005 02:40
Roll on WINE emulation decent enough to run DarkBasic on Linux!

2005 - Year of cartoony red cubes (look! black outline!), for me at least.
IanG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2005 03:39
Quote: " Roll on WINE emulation decent enough to run DarkBasic on Linux!"

linux does have alot more security holes in than microsoft but there not as big and are fixed alot more quickly

Used to be Phoenix_insane registered in september 2003 despite what the date says to the left <--
PC - amd athlon 2.0ghz, 512mb, GeForce FX 5200 128mb, 200gb, xp pro sp2
Class I Coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "linux does have alot more security holes in than microsoft but there not as big and are fixed alot more quickly
"

What? Then why does IBM have a billion dollar investment in Linux? Can you please tell me why Linux has a large market share of the server market, which has shaken MS? I'm not a linux fan by any means but this doesn't ring true.
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2005 07:41
Linux doesn't have as many security holes per se as Windows, but a default Linux setup with no config settings is like putting a bank vault on the sidewalk with its doors wide open. You need to know how to close most of the ports, etc., to make it secure.

--[GameBasic - Coming Soon]-- ^^^ banner generously designed by TheBigBabou
GothOtaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2005 09:16
Quote: "linux does have alot more security holes in than microsoft but there not as big and are fixed alot more quickly"

Occasionally, this only happens when they produce a new release (like going from Fedora Core 2 to 3) and things aren't supporeted or are buggy. However, I've have obsolete linux servers that are more secure than my home PC that's behind 2 firewalls.
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2005 14:12
yes but to use this program ms will take valuable information off your machine, and then call you a pirate if they find you try to use one program past it's trial period.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 08:33:54
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 08:33:54