Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / programming theory FAQ?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2005 11:41
... How does one go about programming games what are the main points to a game that you think about before you program.
like, Im trying to make pong. For anyone who has made pong or any other game how did you know what you needed to programm to do what you want? Ive gotten the source code and all that, but i want to
know is how do you know where to start.

Tryin hard...
Oneka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2005 12:35
well this type of post has been made alot... but basically I suggest you go out and buy some pencils and notebooks + binder to keep them all.... First decide what type of game you are going to try to make action,strategy,etc then once you have that down develop a plot for the game (story, the point of the game, things you can do,etc) then once you have done that you then go on and plan on how you design these functions etc, make a schedule of what you are coding each day dont go into it coding random as I have found out planing what to code each day is faster then coding w/e pops up in your head...basically design the whole game on paper first...

Making better games everday!
Oh yeah and just so you know its Oh-nek-a not One-ka!
Major Payn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2005 13:32
I think up everthing in my head, write nothing down, and code at the seat of my pants.

Hasn't worked for me!

Guns arn't the problem, people are the problem, shoot all the people and guns arn't a problem anymore.
Belthazor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2005 00:35
Ok...I've got all my work on paper already, i had it before I got DBP. Im just trying to understand where to start my journey. Im creating a 2d fighting game(because I don't think im ready for 3D, but i will port it as soon as i am ready!)
and Ive read the Game programming w/ DB book and I am ready to begin. Everyone suggest pong and Ive gotten the code for it. but I want to code it myself, and I have no clue where to begin. I thought about just typing in the copied code a few times, but just from looking at it it doesn't make any sence. I only wanna know how do I know what i need to program to get my fighting game running.
and I am happy that you guys are pushing me in the right direction.
But on the real...tell me piece by piece what I need to program to make a fighting game and how to go about programming them...ya know
maybe even a few 3rd party dll you recommend, or a few commands that you thionk I should do some experimenting with while making my noobie programs that I will use in greater detail when making my fighting game.

Tryin hard...
Oneka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2005 01:41
yes the first start of a game is always sorta hard....I suggest you make a background or something then start working on the fighting system...when you done with that you should have a enough done to get you in the flow of the game....after that you can work on other things like HUD, Moves, Characters etc

Making better games everday!
Oh yeah and just so you know its Oh-nek-a not One-ka!
Jozers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2005 05:43
Quote: "Im creating a 2d fighting game(because I don't think im ready for 3D, but i will port it as soon as i am ready!)"

3D is easier than 2D well at least thats what i think!!!
I think you would better starting with a simple 3D game(it doesn't have to be pong). I'm a n00b and started with the pong tutorial to learn the basics and the moved on a basic 3D game. I tried to make a basic 2D game but I got so confused trying to learn how to do it I didn't even start programming the game.
Ric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2005 08:27 Edited at: 15th Jan 2005 08:29
I start my programs by setting out this kind of framework:

Camera settings
define variables
make objects

do
call subroutines
loop

Then I think what subroutines I will need, and just write in names for them, like for example, if I was making a racing game;

Camera settings
define variables
make objects

do
gosub controller_input
gosub move-car
gosub check_collision
gosub move_camera
loop

You don't need to worry about how they will work yet, you just need to know what you want the program to do. Once I have this framework, I go about writing the subroutines;

controller_input:
if upkey()=1 then inc speed#
return

move_car:
move object 1,speed#
return

etc.

Then, once the basic elements are in place, the programming begins to find it's own direction - you test, you refine, you debug, you add more features....it evolves.

eg.

I'd agree with what's been said above - don't waste time with 2-d, because 3-d really isn't any harder.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 09:26:51
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 09:26:51