Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / What the heck happened to EA this year?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2005 06:06 Edited at: 10th Jan 2005 09:37
Seriously. Nobody liked Catwoman, and a lot of people didn't like Goldeneye or the Third age. They also faced loads more competition than usual in their sports games from ESPN, and ESPN actually made a better hockey game. So, like a sore loser, they signed an exclusivity deal with the NFL so that Madden 2006 and only Madden 2006 could be made. Then, they tried to buy out Ubisoft, which got the government angry, so now it's EA versus France! What happened?

P.S. The links to the news articles are below.

EA versus France:
http://cube.ign.com/articles/576/576532p1.html

The exclusivity deal:
http://sports.ign.com/articles/573/573544p1.html

Peh.

"His Chops are too righteous! The helmets can't handle this intensity of Rock and Roll!"-Plankton
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2005 08:21
well people are really starting to realize that ea IS the devil.

BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2005 08:43
EA needs to die.

Crazy Donut Productions, Current Project: Project Starbuks
Sony stole our name!
GothOtaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2005 11:26
Quote: " EA needs to die."

Agreed.
DarkSin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2005 11:38
Bah I don't even like sports games so that doesn't bother me at all, and the fact that its messing with the french makes it funny . But there is one thing I can not forgive them for... westwood. They shall pay dearly for what they did .

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2005 12:38
Quote: "Then, they tried to buy out Ubisoft"

No they didn't. They are attempting a buyout of some 20%.

EA is basically the McDonald's of the video game industry. Fast games/fast foods = bad quality. Cheapest pay, etc.

--[GameBasic - Coming Soon]-- ^^^ banner generously designed by TheBigBabou
TravisP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2005 12:40
Quote: "EA needs to die."

Well bye,
Burnout 3: Takedown
Battlefield 2
Black & White 2
The Sims 2

Note: The above I didn't say, your just crazy.

Not a ripoff of The Twilight Zone
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2005 13:25 Edited at: 10th Jan 2005 13:25
EA makes a lot of crap and some good titles-- if a corperation has that many subsidiaries and design teams, there's bound to be some talent in there, and where you've got talented team managers and head designers, a skilled team will gather. That doesn't mean the publisher is ultimatly a good thing for the industry. I still see more quality coming from independant developers than I do from subsidiaries-- the latter are rarely allowed to take risks or innovate. Hence the usual recycled EA garbage.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2005 15:23
EA is a big corporation now, so taking business risks isn't what they like to do. They've become the largest publisher over the past 2 decades simply because they're not innovative, they just give people what they want for that season.

Really when it comes down to it people are getting smart buying computer games now. This is why UbiSoft and Nintendo have had bumper years, simply because gamers are now less drawn to the over-hyped generic copy titles and are begining to question what the game has new over the last one.

All this is causing a decline in the industry, which alot of people are claiming is just like how people are loosing faith in the movie industry. If you remember at one point it was in real jepardy the movie industry, but the films now being produced while a good number are still crap. Are things that are becomming more interesting again and putting people back into the seats. As such the same is happening with the games industry.

What we'll be seeing with this next generation of consoles is a decline in the number of 'rehashed' series games, and alot more unique ideas. While you can imagine FPS are going to be as strong as ever as will RPGs, some recent and some planned titles really are going to take the current bar for these games.. and rather than bring in a nitché market as to really only be innovative in it's own small world, are going to take the industry and say 'no this is how this type of game should be evolving'.
With the almighty leaps in technology recently graphically speaking, this is going to become less and less and issue when currently is still a main selling point. Once companies finally get over the 'graphics' side of things, finally you get down to gameplay and just the sheer fun of the games.

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2005 16:01
Quote: "The Sims 2"

oh geeze im so sad over that.
Quote: "Really when it comes down to it people are getting smart buying computer games now. This is why UbiSoft and Nintendo have had bumper years, simply because gamers are now less drawn to the over-hyped generic copy titles and are begining to question what the game has new over the last one."

nintendo dont overhype their games, xbox games get over hyped, ubi-soft are usually pretty good, the splintercell series has been pretty good in that respect.

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2005 01:28
Ubisoft was also behind Shadowbane though. But I guess nobody wins all the time

Yu Une
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2005 17:35
From what I hear, EA is like working for Microsoft overworked and underpayed
dared
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "EA makes a lot of crap and some good titles-- if a corperation has that many subsidiaries and design teams, there's bound to be some talent in there, and where you've got talented team managers and head designers, a skilled team will gather. That doesn't mean the publisher is ultimatly a good thing for the industry. I still see more quality coming from independant developers than I do from subsidiaries-- the latter are rarely allowed to take risks or innovate. Hence the usual recycled EA garbage."

Agreed

Who Loves coding?
Any1?
Oh forget it!
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2005 02:08
Quote: "From what I hear, EA is like working for Microsoft overworked and underpayed."

Weird, because as far as I'm conserned Microsoft are one of the best employeers in the world. I mean FGS, I'm only a temporary worker for them doing a limited contract and I'm *FULLY* covered as if I'm a full Microsoft Employee. They have provided me with a Human Resources manager who took the liberty of finding me alternative employment within Microsoft once my currenct contract is up. I've also been talked to about how I feel about working for the company and provided feedback to them.

Currently they finance a residence for me close to where I work, which if it weren't for family commitments I would be living there full-time. They have also offered to provide for me a vehicle that I would be allowed to keep as a transport method if I choose to join full-time after my contract is up.

This is how they treat me, and as I said. I'm only there under a temporary contract. I don't know many companies that treat thier employees this well that work for them full-time.

I mean this is beside the fact that I also have access to the Microsoft Employee Store, which you have *no* idea how much cheaper everything is for employees. A good few friends of mine received X-Boxs for Christmas heh

So before you spout off a nasty rumour, should do yourself some homework. People who have left due to the change of hands of employer to Microsoft, left because it was Microsoft.. those who stayed while reserved are just as happy with thier new owner. A company who for only a single title release in 2years are financing the addition of 2 more development buildings, and hiring an addition 50 staff over the next 2years to make the company the Largest UK Software developer.

I mean FGS the company has an *on-site* resturant, and coffee bar. There are fields to sit and relax on breaks... not to mention the offices are designed with a very open atmosphere about them less about cubical and seperation; and more about a communal development team.

Really is starting to bug me that all people ever see is the prejudice of Microsoft for their business tactics.
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2005 06:05
Quote: "Burnout 3: Takedown
Battlefield 2
Black & White 2
The Sims 2"

Imagine how much better those games would be without EA.

I just bash Microsoft for kicks and giggles mostly. I live in an area where Xbox the more predominant console than others. It's on pretty even level with PS2 here.

Sony stole our name!
Hangman Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2005 06:36
@Leyvin:
most poeple bash Microsoft for the supposed "Ave Gates" world-domination thing. And Microsoft can afford those things a lot better than smaller companies. Example:

Quote: "Underling: Mr. Gates! Mr. Gates! We've just lost another billion Dollars!"

Quote: "Mr. Gates: Pocket change, my boy! pocket change!"

Well, at least EA will be producing something truly different with Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath. The only disturbing part is that if they produce something with Oddworld Inhabitents then aquisition can't be far behind...

"His Chops are too righteous! The helmets can't handle this intensity of Rock and Roll!"-Plankton
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2005 07:35
Quote: "Burnout 3: Takedown
Battlefield 2
Black & White 2
The Sims 2"
Imagine how much better those games would be without EA."

For one thing Burnout 3 was on its way to gold status before EA acquired them.

BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2005 08:14
That's why it turned out so awesome. I predict a decline in quality if EA is in charge of handling the next sequel.

Besides, many of those games are just published by EA. They could find other publishers who would probably gladly have them.

Sony stole our name!
GothOtaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2005 09:13
Quote: " From what I hear, EA is like working for Microsoft overworked and underpayed"

Yeah, my fiend got interviewed by EA and they asked him how he felt about overtime. He asked "paid overtime?". They responded by promptly ending the interview with "Thank you for time. We'll now consider your application and call you in a few weeks..."

Quote: "Weird, because as far as I'm conserned Microsoft are one of the best employeers in the world."

Not to argue that you are getting treated that well but the average time spent before a Microsoft employee quits or is fired is 2 years. The main reason for their quitting has consistantly been that they were overworked and underpaid. I'm not saying you're wrong but I've only heard/read bad things from the "grunt" programmers.
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2005 09:43
Quote: "He asked "paid overtime?"."

Well that was his first mistake. It is generally rude to ask those kinds of questions during an interview. Why? I don't know.

Hangman Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2005 06:15
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention EA got sued by some of its employees for not paying overtime. It's true.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 08:27:58
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 08:27:58