Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / No really! I just used mathematics in my job!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2005 18:33 Edited at: 10th Jan 2005 18:34
I've just finished identifying and using a geometric progression to simulate advertising falloff in a PHP script. I think this could well be the first time I've used anything outside of simple trig when programming, let alone programming in my job!

(I did have to look up the forumula for generalising a GP though).

All those years of education have finally paid off. Oh wait, no they haven't - I still owe £11,000....

:: grumbles about the english education system ::

If I can't eat it, drink it , **** it or fire it, I'm not interested
Dodo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2005 01:19
lots of people use maths in their jobs; bankers, secretaries etc.

congrats though...I guess...

Part of solving the problem is actually noticing that the problem is there in the first place

TravisP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2005 01:25
fastfood,truck drivers,janitors,movie rental,etc.

Note: The above I didn't say, your just crazy.

Not a ripoff of The Twilight Zone
Teh Go0rfmeister
Years of Service
User Offline
but they never use anything more than basic arithmetic and percentages/fraction.

NASA probably do the complete opposite, they probably use every fancy formula out there, but dont use simple arithmetic since they dont deal with anything simple enough to use it for.

Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2005 02:48
Quote: "but dont use simple arithmetic"

They just don't plain use it anymore...they don't use +,-,*,/,^ etc etc none of that, depite the complex equations all using them....

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2005 04:01
Counting would be a useful skill at NASA - I remember that one of the disasters caused a few years ago was caused by trying to stick a 32bit number into a 16bit variable. Whoops!

BlueGUI Windows Plugin
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2005 04:13
arg... not a type overflow...

Yarr join LoGD and defeat your fellow coders!
Dom
Years of Service
User Offline
Ohhh I hope whatever job I go for wont be too maths intensive...its not my strong subject.

Thanks to Animeblood for the Logo!
ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2005 05:53
Don't lie... no one actually uses maths. Why are you all out to get me? its like your trying to depress me...

http://www.dbspot.com/NYC
New years competition... Fo Shizzle.
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2005 06:17
Quote: "Counting would be a useful skill at NASA - I remember that one of the disasters caused a few years ago was caused by trying to stick a 32bit number into a 16bit variable. Whoops!"

Hehe. Remind me of their Mars mission also that crashed - it was caused by half of the programming team using imperial, and half metric

Quote: "They just don't plain use it anymore...they don't use +,-,*,/,^ etc etc none of that, depite the complex equations all using them...."

I bet they do What other operators would they use? I know they could do complex things like logs etc. but at the end of the day they must somewhere user basic binary* operators.

*by that I mean uses two operands. Just a as unary operator has one operand. Yes, I have been writing an expression evaluator recently

Get 15 new commands, all the date / time commands left out of DBPro for free!
DOWNLOAD PLUGINS HERE: http://www.davidtattersall.me.uk/ and select "DarkBasic"
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2005 06:20 Edited at: 11th Jan 2005 06:21
Quote: "Counting would be a useful skill at NASA - I remember that one of the disasters caused a few years ago was caused by trying to stick a 32bit number into a 16bit variable. Whoops!"

I believe that is exactly what is wrong with our make mesh from object command though its more likely trying to fit a 32 bit number in a 16 bit array index.

adr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2005 06:49
Quote: "fastfood,truck drivers,janitors,movie rental"

I realise that people do use maths in their job (for example, do you want fries with that? - addition), but like I said - usually nothing beyond trig. I was impressed that a real life situation warranted something other than bog-standard arithmetic.

If I can't eat it, drink it , **** it or fire it, I'm not interested

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 06:16:26
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 06:16:26