Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Bryce 5 - opinions please

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2005 05:23
I've recently been looking at Clueless' work, with which I am very impressed.

I thought I would seek opinions on Bryce 5. Is it good? Would people recommend it?

I'm not so fussed by the price tag. Just interested in proper user opinions.

Philip

What do you mean, bears aren't supposed to wear hats and a tie? P3.2ghz / 1 gig / GeForce FX 5900 128meg / WinXP home
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2005 05:25 Edited at: 11th Jan 2005 05:25
Yes, its very good
X exports fine into DBPro (as far as I know).
However, trees and skys cant be exported.

Vue D'Esprit is out now though - it might be worth looking at that too.

Visit http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~nickk/
I have no signature.
Philip
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2005 05:39
I'd appreciate views on Bryce v. Vue D'Esprit then. I'd not heard of the latter.

Philip

What do you mean, bears aren't supposed to wear hats and a tie? P3.2ghz / 1 gig / GeForce FX 5900 128meg / WinXP home
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2005 05:45
Never used the latter - although according to the blurb it does have many more features than Bryce 5 (which is no longer supported).

I have no signature.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2005 07:17
I have Vues, it's really quite a stunning program once you get stuck into it, which I never have. I'm not so sure that Vues can automatically make skybox textures, so maybe you'd be safer with Bryce, I think Vues is more of a renderer, for making high quality scenes, rather than Bryce which seems to me that it would be more useful for game stuff.

I have Bryce4, which is pretty damn good at rendering and generating heightmaps, it's nice to have the control you get in a renderer rather than the usual 2D style texture mix apps.

Van-B

It's c**p being the only coder in the village.
Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2005 07:22
I have never been able to get the ¨heightmap¨ to export. I can get the mesh as well as the textures, but not the heightmap. I could be doing something very wrong.

Has anyone else exported the heightmap itself? I´m talking about the greyscale bitmap.

-This...is my boomstick!
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2005 07:39
Nah, me neither, that's why I love the PrintScreen key - only takes a mo to paste into an art package, but your limited to 256x256 (which suits me fine).

Van-B

Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2005 08:53
That´s what I´ve been doing (hehe).

-This...is my boomstick!
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2005 11:44
After using 3dsmax, bryce sucks. The interface bugs me and is annoying to use.

"eureka" - Archimedes
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2005 16:28
Can 3DS Max render skyboxes though? .

I've never been a fan of Max's interface, all that constant scrolling and I can never remember where anything is. These terrain programs are fairly similar, I personally could do without the OTT front end on a lot of software, it's like every button should look like it's made of cheap M$ plastic or chrome, and take up about 8 times the space that it should.

Van-B

Clueless
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2005 16:29
@Squidgy The Brick:
Quote: "Bryce 5 (which is no longer supported).
"

That was true until Daz3D purchased it from Corel last year. Bryce is alive and well. So far the only new features have been integration with their existing 3D character products, but it's early yet. I guess that's to be expected. I have noticed artists beginning to sell Bryce add-ons, like materials ("textures", to you and me).

@Philip: thanks much for the kind words. You might want to compare Bryce to 3DEM and Terragen. Both are free, I think. 3DEM does a better job making animated fly-throughs of terrains after you've loaded them. Terragen is good with skies I've heard, but I also heard there were some copyright restrictions if you wanted to use the output commercially. I haven't verified that.

Another program I've been looking very seriously at is Mojoworld by Pandromeda. For planet and terrain building, it smokes every product I've ever seen, including the heavy-hitters like Maya and 3DSMax. Their tech support pointed me to a sample planet export and I'm encouraged by what I saw. The 3DS terrain output converted to .X quite nicely in GameSpace and DBPro was able to read it. The demo was too high poly but it looks scalable. Anyway, for generating scenery... well... check out their galleries: [href]www.pandromeda.com[/href] I believe they also did some of the art for that hokey "Day after Tomorrow" disaster flick that came out last summer. Bad movie, great eye candy...

@Phaelax:
Quote: "After using 3dsmax, bryce sucks. The interface bugs me and is annoying to use."

I agree that the interface is annoying to learn. Not as bad as GameSpace, but close. I've worked with it long enough to know what all the ridiculously small icons mean now though. IMHO, the program is far, far deeper on features than you see at first glance. What's missing is a really good up-to-date book (same as DBPro )

I'm not sure it's fair to compare Max and Bryce though. Isn't Max more of a 3D modeling tool? Bryce is really "just" a terrain/landscape/sky program, and it excels at that, esp. for the cost vs. the full-blown modeling programs out there.
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2005 17:41
Quote: "Daz3D purchased it from Corel last year"

Interesting...

Has anyone used Vue D'Esprite ?

I have no signature.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 06:29:51
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 06:29:51