Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / I've Betrayed my own product ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2005 21:37
Well i have gone and done it, i couldn't resist temptation any longer and i have gone and bought........Microsoft Visual C++ .net 2003!
How can i ever forgive myself? Well i can forgive myself because i am finally making the move from Visual Basic to C++, i am still learning c++ but when people come over and ask 'What are you doing?', if they look at vb code it sorta makes sense, if they look at the c++ code, they get all confused and walk away . It makes me feel intelligent (although i am probably not!)
The more i learn of c++ the more i love it, i used to love Visual Basic for its simplicity but since i started learning c++ there are so many things that Visual Basic does for you. You never get to go into the ins and outs of how the Windows form is created, in c++ you do. I love c++.

I am even looking into direct x programming with c++ but one step at a time i suppose.

Well enough now, i must get back to work, much to be done

Its not a bug, Its a feature

If we were meant to stay in this reality games would not exist!
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2005 21:44
Quote: "and bought........Microsoft Visual C++ .net 2003!
"

Well done. Welcome to the real world...

Visit http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~nickk/
I have no signature.
Giles Papworth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2005 21:47
It took me a while to get there, but i am finally there. I decided if you can't beat em, join em

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2005 21:51
Pah, your both behind the times.

:: proud Visual Studio .NET 2005 Standard owner ::
I don't think it's a betrayal, more you've grown apart from Borland.
Welcome to the Dark Side.. Mwhahahaaa-cough-erm yeah don't know where that came from.
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2005 22:08
Quote: "proud Visual Studio .NET 2005 Standard owner"

Non-beta version ?

I have no signature.
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2005 22:14
c++? why not c#/vb.net? You switched to c++ from vb6? Thats pretty silly since the new vb, vb.net is as powerful as c++ without all the cryptic syntax. If anyone tells you different then they know squat about VB.NET/C# and are still thinking of the old day when there was a huge discrepancy between c++ and vb6. Oh well.

Giles Papworth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2005 22:43
Well c++ because i want to be able to make exe files that do not rely on the .net framework. And in that respect there is a big difference. I use mostly VB 6 atm.

Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2005 22:50
I'm learning openGL atm + DevC++ is free

Giles Papworth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2005 22:57
i did try devc++ but i wasn't a fan of it

Jonny Ree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2005 23:05
I find Basic to be very messy, I'm having a hard time looking over my code.. I'm really happy about DarkSDK though.. I'm a lot more used to C++ and i find it to be more clean.. anyway.. I guess its personal prefrance more then anything.. and I'm guessing what CattleRustler said is true
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2005 23:12
Quote: "Non-beta version ?"

Yes, however it is currently not available to the public yet.
Either you can purchase it from the Beta Shop, or from the Employee Shop.
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2005 23:35
Quote: "Well c++ because i want to be able to make exe files that do not rely on the .net framework"

ah, thats different.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2005 23:38
This said, C# is capable of Win32 Programs without using .NET
Giles Papworth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2005 00:54
Cool, unfortunatly i have gone and bought c++, anyway, i am getting the hang of this c++ suff (apart from pointers in conjunction with classes, just started that!)

I did look good and hard into the options of the .net framework, and at least i can use either bog standard c++ or go for full on .net, with vb.net you have the choice of .net or .net (but i could be wrong)

blanky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2005 00:55
I love and hate VB.NET.

I love it 'cuz:

. Whole new library of functions, actually useful, easy string changing, etc..
. Actually official multithreading support!

I hate it:

. 'cuz W2000/XP only, and even then you need to get your hands on the .NET Framework (30 meg?)

. So bloody SLOW! To show a blank form in VB.NET, it takes about 3 seconds. On a P4 3.2GHz, with 1GB RAM. A blank VB6 form would've been instant, as far as the human eye can tell...

. Running one empty program, the memory usage of the app is >=35 meg. VB6? 400K. I ask you.

Still, someone made a GameCube emulator (DolWin) in C#, so I guess it's just the init stuff... But I still love the fact that a generic Form has an Opacity property

2005 - Year of cartoony red cubes (look! black outline!), for me at least.
Giles Papworth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2005 01:02
I never made the move from vb6 to vb.net, I found it so slow, that it was almost not worth doing it, maybe they might do better on the .net framework 2

and

Quote: "Yes, however it is currently not available to the public yet"

You can order the individual ones, i have ordered the visual c++ 2005 express

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2005 01:20
Quote: ". 'cuz W2000/XP only, and even then you need to get your hands on the .NET Framework (30 meg?)"

.NET Framework 1.0, 1.1, 2.0 are available on Microsoft Windows 98 / 98se / Millenium Edition / 2000 / XP / XP 64-bit / .NET 2003 / Media Center 2004 / Media Center 2004

.NET Framework 1.0 - 16MB
.NET Framework 1.1 - 21MB
.NET Framework 2.0 - 23MB

Quote: ". So bloody SLOW! To show a blank form in VB.NET, it takes about 3 seconds. On a P4 3.2GHz, with 1GB RAM. A blank VB6 form would've been instant, as far as the human eye can tell..."

Visual Basic 6 Applications take quite a while to load every time, on most systems. Althon64 FX-53 just a blank window for me takes around 3seconds, which is 3seconds faster than a native Win32 Application and on my AthlonXP 2600+ it takes 8seconds.

.NET Blank Frame loads instantly on both, when I specify the processor type (ie x86-32 or x86-64) however when running it on a system for the first time using Any CPU it can take a few seconds.

Loading speed on both Visual Basic 6 and .NET Applications ANY CPU are generally the same, the determination of speed is down to more the internals of the program. This is where .NET shines, because it it will work around 95% the speed a native application does (again only on Any CPU setting). Visual Basic 6 applications however run at around 60-70% of a native application.

I call it native, because .NET is capable of exporting Native, Managed, and Unmanaged code. Unmanaged is Win32 format, Native is natively compiled .NET for a specific system type.

The bonus of .NET is that it will run on *ANY* system completely independant of what Operating System it is using, provided you have the framework there. Early-2006 we are going to be seeing Red Hat 11 and MacOS 11 both incorporating .NET into thier systems.
It is predicted currently that the growth of .NET will mean that it is likely to become the industry standard for executable formats by 2010.

It will be nice to finally be able to create an application and not have to worry about creating several versions for several platforms. While you can already do this with Java, the speed difference in a nut-shell is like trying to make Half-Life 2 in DarkBASIC.. It's a nice dream for Sun though, heh.

I bet the guy at Sun is kicking himself now. If they hadn't stopped Microsoft from using Java almost a decade ago now, they would never have created thier own variation that hell even hardened Linux users have to admit just truely 'owns' heh

Tell ya what, XNA was released to the beta area a few days ago. As a home developer I'm finally seeing what this can do. I created something within a few minutes, created something and tested on my PC.. liked it so burnt to DVD and put it in my 'aquired from work' Developer X-Box. Booted up and ran without any problems.

What's even better is if the guys who made Forza Motorsport had this available, they'd never have got the BSOD because when you export the runtime it tells you what resources your using. If you set to X-Box test environment it deliberately limits the system to what the X-Box is capable of and access everything in the same way as well. When a scene takes up too much ram, it'll indicate on the screen what is causing it allowing you to go into your code and alter it so that it is within the limits of the hardware.

It's pretty hard at the moment to bash Microsoft for what they're developing, because they're not making innovation in terms of ideas, but they're making the ideas a reality. Something everyone else has failed to do so far. With the development environments becomming something that developers have had a say in how they look and perform. Microsoft are quite obviously happy with Windows as it is and are focusing alot more on the problems people are talking about while moving forward the driving software rather than trying to push Windows ahead of everyone else.

Smart move to monopolise the industry through the one thing everyone wants
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2005 01:27
Quote: "You can order the individual ones, i have ordered the visual c++ 2005 express"

You can download all of the Express products. They're Microsoft's free .NET only development tools, while it has been mentioned they're only available during beta testing. Microsoft have decided to extend them to full versions now that you download.

Development for Microsoft-Based platforms is now going to be truely free.

.NET Framework SDK - Free
DirectX SDK - Free
Windows .NET 2003/2005 - Free 360day Evaluation
Visual Studio .NET 2005 Express - Free

The cost of development of software is going down, simply because Microsoft want to encourage thier technology. They'll make the money back on Windows and Technology License agreements.

Must really piss off alot of the 'OpenSource' freaks what Microsoft has recently been doing. Not to mention Windows *must* become Open Source within the next 12months, when we add this with the fact that alot of Windows 6 software is going to be Open Source, well can't really deny that Microsoft are not changing themselves with how the industry is going.
blanky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2005 02:34
For someone on dialup running W98SE, 21MB is still a lot.

And on my old laptop (R.I.P. ), a VB6 form took about a 1/3 of a second to show.

I dunno. It could be something weird to do with the code, or the fact that my 'blank form' tests had their respective IDEs loaded in the background...

But you can't argue with the memory usage..

2005 - Year of cartoony red cubes (look! black outline!), for me at least.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2005 03:00
Quote: "For someone on dialup running W98SE, 21MB is still a lot."

Any chance you'll join the rest of us in the 21st Century sometime?
When you load a VB application *within* VB, it already has the Virtual Machine running.. there is no need to reload it as such, instant starting. Same is true with .NET applications ya know heh, if you run the debugger it starts instantly because it already knows what machine and runtime format it has to use.

As for Memory useage.. what are you talking about? o_0
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2005 03:16
Whats the executable for a VS 2005 like ? Is it usually smaller than VS 2003 ? Or more ?

I have no signature.
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2005 03:41
and lets not forget that .NET exes are JIT compiled at runtime for the specific machine (yes, to an asm exe) - thats what causes the intial load delay, after that, successive runs of the exe should load quicker. Same is true for asp.net

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2005 03:52 Edited at: 12th Jan 2005 03:53
Would be for .NET programs, but I was enquiring about C/C++ executables...
Like to keep away from .NET

I have no signature.
Philip
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2005 04:54
Is Levyin the new persona of Raven?

Philip

What do you mean, bears aren't supposed to wear hats and a tie? P3.2ghz / 1 gig / GeForce FX 5900 128meg / WinXP home
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2005 04:56
I believe so.

I have no signature.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2005 05:04 Edited at: 12th Jan 2005 22:39
So can you make DLLs with C# Express? And if you do, must you have .net installed ?

BatVink
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2005 05:09
Quote: "vb.net is as powerful as c++ without all the cryptic syntax"

But to those of us who find C++'s syntax as easy to use as riding a bike, we find VB.NET's syntax cryptic

Quote: " Is Levyin the new persona of Raven?"

Yes.

--[GameBasic - Coming Soon]-- ^^^ banner generously designed by TheBigBabou
Giles Papworth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2005 05:27
I find c++ syntax more logical than vb

Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2005 05:47
Quote: "I find c++ syntax more logical than vb"

The vb I covered was 4 years ago (year 7 - aged 11) and it made no sense, I love C++ and PHP (they have similar synti (syntaxs) as you should know )

Giles Papworth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2005 05:55
Yep, i have grown to love c++, i started on vb and found it easy, when i used to look at c++ it looked so cryptic and difficult that i used to never give it another thought. But then it all changed. I picked up a book, read the first few chapters and realised that i had missed half of what programming was all about.

Even if you don't like c++ or have never liked it, i think it is essential to know how this language works.

MiR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2005 06:10
Quote: " I find c++ syntax more logical than vb"

Realy?But I find IF ENDIF much more readable than if(){}. Though that´s the only bad thing I can find with C. That and and the lack of gosubs. Why include the dreaded goto but not gosub? Ok so they are probably identical to void functions but I like writing gosub.

¿Como estas you el dia de today?
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2005 06:15 Edited at: 12th Jan 2005 06:18
Q: So can you make DLLs with C# Express?
A: Yes.

Q: And if you do, must you have .net installed?
A: Depends what project you create. Visual C# 2005 comes with a number of project types. You can chose to develop with WIN32 or .NET Executable types.

Q: Whats the executable for a VS 2005 like ? Is it usually smaller than VS 2003 ? Or more ?
A: I don't have Visual Studio 2003, so would be hard to compare.
Generally speaking Win32 Application of this code on default settings:

compiles to 26KB, not as small as Visual Studio 6 but then I didn't get it for it's Win32 abilities.

Compiles normally to 24KB, however if you put it in compact header it'll compact to 9KB
Giles Papworth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2005 06:17 Edited at: 12th Jan 2005 06:20
Well one of the noticable differences i have found with c++ is function returns:

c++:

vb:

Personally i find c++ the better version and there are loads more examples of things like this

JoelJ
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2005 06:24 Edited at: 12th Jan 2005 06:25
C#, VB.net and VC++.net all run on the same EVERYTHING
C# is the best ever
Quote: ":: proud Visual Studio .NET 2005 Standard owner ::"

shame 2005 sucks more than anything i have ever touched

[center]
I like cheese
Giles Papworth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2005 06:28
Quote: "C#, VB.net and VC++.net all run on the same EVERYTHING"

Well as i said before i need to be able to compile c++ exe's that do not depend on the .net framework

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2005 07:31
Quote: " I find c++ syntax more logical than vb"

Agreed!

Quote: "That and and the lack of gosubs. Why include the dreaded goto but not gosub?"

Wow, I didn't even know the had goto in C++. Anyways, I think goto and gosub is evil as it is--- why not just use functions and breaks for exiting for loops?

--[GameBasic - Coming Soon]-- ^^^ banner generously designed by TheBigBabou
Giles Papworth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2005 18:22
Well i think i have done this subject to death really

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2005 18:32
Quote: "shame 2005 sucks more than anything i have ever touched"

? Really, because the thing that truely put me off 2003 were the IDEs. 2005 is so much easier to use, understand and intergrate into your development pipelines.

For example, when you convert a project in 2003 from 6.0 or 2002; you really have 2 chances with it... either it'll work or it'll fail incuring a complete recode.
2005 they've improved the project importer, and now your projects will work 9:10x. This means that you don't have to recode. It even gives you an entire brief on potencial problems and provides the solution it tried so you can work around that rather than tryingt o figure out why it didn't work.

The Debugger allows you to keep coding and recompile on the go so there is no need to rebuild a projec to patch problems, simply pause the debug: edit the code and resume. Visual Studio will check the code section you've done for problems and run the same task it did prior to the crash.
Futher more crash details now provide you with the exact line of code that it will highlight for you rather than passing back the Hex are which quite frankly was almost pointless before.
Altering settings is really simpler and more straight-forward than ever.

Not to mention the compilers are much easier to understand and use in the command line.
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2005 23:04
Quote: "But to those of us who find C++'s syntax as easy to use as riding a bike, we find VB.NET's syntax cryptic "

agreed, but the original poster was a vb'er - is what I was getting at.

Giles Papworth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2005 00:54
Yey, the man has arrived with the parcel, yey now only a 2 hour install and i'm away

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2005 20:53 Edited at: 13th Jan 2005 20:59
C# Express EULA:

NOTICE: THE SOFTWARE IS TIME SENSITIVE AND IS DESIGNED TO CEASE FUNCTIONING ON MARCH 1, 2005. NOTICE OF EXPIRATION WILL NOT ACTIVELY BE GIVEN SO YOU NEED TO PLAN FOR THE EXPIRATION DATE AND, PRIOR TO SUCH EXPIRATION, MAKE A COPY OF AND REMOVE YOUR DATA THAT YOU WISH TO USE IN THE FUTURE.

Since this SOFTWARE is a prerelease version, some of its Internet-enabled features are turned on by default.  Those features collect information from your computer and send it to Microsoft...If You choose to install and use this SOFTWARE, You authorize the automatic collection of information from your computer by these features. 

BatVink
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2005 22:26
Quote: "compiles to 26KB, not as small as Visual Studio 6 but then I didn't get it for it's Win32 abilities. "

Sounds okay...

I have no signature.
DrakeX
Years of Service
User Offline
ahh, C++. you will grow to love it, and when your programs start getting more and more complex, you will start to get a burning hatred for it. things like overly complicated string handling, forward references and function/class prototypes, having a header/cpp file pair for each module, confusing template syntax (and having to put templates in header files instead of cpp files), the damned redundant -> operator, and pointers will REALLY get on your nerves after a while.

if you're interested, there's a language called D being developed as a true successor to C++ rather than a java-esque rethink like C#. the website is [href]www.digitalmars.com[/href]. be warned though: it's still in development so there are a few small bugs, though it's getting very close to version 1. even if you don't download the compiler, at least read through some of the documentation. it's an amazing language, and it combines some of the nice features of java like garbage collection and a somewhat simpler syntax, while retaining most of the power and basic layout of C++. it's not compatible with C++; that is, it's not backwards compatible like C++ is to C. however, if you try it, you will not WANT it to be backwards compatible

"when it's done" means "we have no idea, we forgot to do that; we were hoping you would all forget we promised <insert exotic promise here>"
blanky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2005 02:05
Goddammit I hate the VB.NET 2003 IDE...

(Only used a trial version, will prolly buy VB.NET 2005 soon...)

It just randomly took up 55% of the CPU (computer freezes whenever CPU goes > 50%, unfreezes after 2 seconds and goes
WHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
RRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..........
(freeze 2 secs) back to normal - very annoying when playing games...)

But I like the VB.NET language and the libraries - the libraries of functions are the reason why I'm going to switch.

I mean, there are roughly 10 ways to create a TCP/IP connection alone, and you can do pretty much everything everyway... and compatibility with C# is cool too.

Avatar - white cat in a snowstorm. Look closely.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 08:28:57
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 08:28:57