Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Newbie needs help...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm 100% new to this gaming/programming world. I've just ordered (but haven't recieved yet) darkBASIC Pro and the 700 page book. Some one suggested that I "mod" another game before I start in on my own... I'm not sure it's the right thing to do. Sure, I'll gain some much needed experience (I guess) but I'm determined to learn this language and be successful at making at least my few games I've designed. Any input would be appreciated. THANX!
BaZko
Years of Service
User Offline
well you could start by reading the pong tutorial at the top of this board,its pretty simple or the ones on the darkbasic site.Just a suggestion...

Join the new years contest!
sadsack
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2005 09:31
the book will not be to helpful for 3D and models. mostly 2d
renny
MSon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2005 09:34
What Types of Games have you 'Designed'?
soapyfish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2005 10:42
As long as you realise you aren't going to make half-life 3 by next Monday and just take your time, not getting stressed out because something won't work the way you want it to then you should be fine. But most importantly of all, enjoy yourself.

Formely code2kill
Is it really that hard to check your spelling before clicking the Post Message button?
Foxy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2005 10:55
Just start off with 2d things first, until you get the hang of using the co-ord and movement system. Once you've done that go onto basic 3d using just primitives to do simple stuff, trying a free-flight type program is a good starting point.

The best way to get a grip on things is by using the help system to look at example code and figure out what each line does.

It'll probably take a couple weeks to get into the feel of the code, from then on things get easier to grasp.

There is always people on the forums to answer questions and there is ample tutorials around.

Good luck

Durdge39 - Leading the way into the fridge!!!
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2005 12:09
Quote: "Just start off with 2d things first"

i did this, but only cause i had darkbasic and not DBPro, and i would actually suggest doing 3d first, if ur going to make 3d games, i actually think its a lot easier. (just my opinion )

Quote: "As long as you realise you aren't going to make half-life 3 by next Monday "

ya, expect a long time working on games, especially really good ones, the one im working on now i dont expect to be finished with for a few years!!!!!!!!! But im in highschool, so i have school, and i cant grasp all the concepts in programming yet(ive only taken algebra 1, and geometry and the ones before that obviously). but this is probably the least complicated programming language that lets u have practically endless possibilities!
one more thing:

Quote: "not getting stressed out because something won't work the way you want it to "

ya, i have plenty of times when things dont work the first time, in fact that happens with me and new concepts about 9/10 times . but when u get stuck dont hesitate to ask us on the forums, i ask a bunch of questions on here (many of u that look on here a lot know that, and many get annoyed cause i ask so many, lol (sry)). Most of my questions are answered in a matter of an hour or two

Good Luck

Video games…they can take you places unreachable, impossible, unfeasible. They put you in the book...they put you in the movie...they put you in a world, a world that before could only be imagined.
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2005 13:21
Modding can be useful....if you're already proficient at programming. When I say "mod" I mean not making a counterstrike map I mean scripting a new gametype for an existing game (see Counterstrike, Natural Selection, all the Neverwinter Nights modules). Those take just as much effort as DarkBasic does. You may get more quality from those existing engines, but you will learn a heck of lot more about programming by doing it in DB.

Crazy Donut Productions, Current Project: Project Starbuks
Sony stole our name!
Visigoth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2005 14:24
Here's what worked for me. First of all, I have some programming background in VB and C++, but, I was lost in 3d. I was lucky enough to acquire 3DS Max 4, and, I played with that for a long time. That opened my eyes to how 3D worked. As for actually programming, maybe just doing 2D stuff at first, learning the CORE commands, like Print, Inkey, Do, Loop, For Next, and also variables. Programming is all about variables. Dark Basic is a pretty easy language to learn, in my opinion. For me, anyway, it was just getting used to working in that extra axis (z).
Dragons Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll take heed to the advice and start at the beginning... I'll have a game preview in about 20 years (lol).
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2005 06:01 Edited at: 16th Jan 2005 06:02
o, and one more thing, if ur making a 3d game, make sure you have the units very small, so you can see as far as you want and it doesnt show objects farther than 100 yards in front of you. It'll save you a LOT of trouble. I've already divided my units in half and now im dividing it 5 times again!!!!!! For every object size and position, its a pain in the butt!!! like i started having a small piece of ground as 250, went to 125, and now its 25!!

Video games…they can take you places unreachable, impossible, unfeasible. They put you in the book...they put you in the movie...they put you in a world, a world that before could only be imagined.
blanky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2005 01:29
If you want to see further into the distance, just use the 'Set Camera Range' command.

Avatar - white cat in a snowstorm. Look closely.
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2005 04:06
my range is at 10,000, the maximum, but i want to see further

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 09:30:24
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 09:30:24