Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / DVD/CD drive trouble

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2005 00:09
Hi

I recently purchased a laptop, second hand, and its got a problem with its DVD/CD combi drive. It just will not recognise CD's, but it does recognise DVD's. I've tried using different types of CD's and cleaning the lens, but still no luck.

Just wondering if anyone knows how to fix it, or whats wrong with it?

Also I'm thinking of replacing the drive if I can't fix it; can you replace the drive with any other DVD/CD drive (obviously a laptop one,) or do you have to replace it with a one specific to your laptop's model. Finally does anyone know of any good places on the net to get one - preferably UK based.

Thanks for any help

Dom
Years of Service
User Offline
I would of thought It wouldn't matter what model you get. Like in a P.C so long as it is a laptop one. As for places to buy, well if you don't mind oredering off the internet then [href]www.ebuyer.com[/href]is ya best bet

Thanks to Animeblood for the Logo!
1tg46
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2005 00:22
What operating system is it running on? becauase some OS's don't cooperate with DVD/CD drives properly.

And if you can't fix it, then why don't you get an external so you can use it on other computers as well.

Click sig for DarkBASIC Network IDE.
pizzaman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2005 01:47
@ Saberdude
Thanks for the link

@ 1tg46
The OS is Windows XP SP2, I've had a look in the CD drives properties page and says the device is fine - tried trouble shooting - no luck. I also went to the manufacturers website for drivers, but found none.
I did think about getting an external one, but I'm not sure if I want to lug it about everywhere.

Thanks for the help

the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2005 01:55
You should be able to replace it with a standard drive.
Most laptops have their own face on the drive tray that matches the profile and colour of the laptop case. If you get a new drive it will proberly have a thin flat face that will look a bit odd as it will be a different colour and won't match the profile of the case.

Quote: "this is not a quote"
pizzaman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2005 02:41 Edited at: 17th Jan 2005 02:42
The brand of the laptop is quite obscure, its a Medion Microstar 7276, and I don't think the manufacturers sell replacement drives.

I've had a look at some laptop CD drives on the net, and looks like they have slightly different shapes; so does this mean I cannot get a different make of CD drive or not? As you can propbably tell I'm new to the world or laptops, so any help is greatly apprieciated.

Here are the specs of the laptop

Robin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2005 18:02
Hey exactly the same thing happened on my computer - my DVD drive stopped recognising CD's a while ago...Doesn't really matter though becasue I just use the CDRW drive instead. I think it stopped working after I formatted my hard drive...

http://www.thegameszone.tk | robin@thegameszone.tk

Don't waste paper. It's not like it grows on trees.
blanky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2005 01:06
A lot of things tend to go wrong if you format your hard drive...

For one thing, Windows doesn't work any more

Avatar - white cat in a snowstorm. Look closely.
Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2005 02:52
Quote: "I would of thought It wouldn't matter what model you get. Like in a P.C so long as it is a laptop one. As for places to buy, well if you don't mind oredering off the internet then www.ebuyer.comis ya best bet"

Depends on the 'top, most of the time it'll be a manufacture standard. I have one somewhere that isn't (the drive works though )

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2005 03:24
did you try removing the driver, restarting, and letting windows reinstall the driver?

Yarr join LoGD and defeat your fellow coders!
stupid kid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2005 04:50
my dvd drive was messed up, it only read cds, it wouldnt work with dvds but then i installed service pack 2 and now the dvd drive works. If u have windows xp, u should try downloading all the updates and then install service pack 2 and it might fix the drive.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 08:19:24
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 08:19:24