Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Physics Type Question

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2005 01:46 Edited at: 17th Jan 2005 01:46
If you are travelling at a constant velocity and you apply a downwards force(which results in you going up) ie. you jump. When you land back on the ground, have you covered more distance in the same amount of time than you would if you hadn't jumped?

It takes 5 sec for me to run from:

In the same five seconds, if i jump halfway, do i travel further.

Its just annoying me. I've searched google but i'm either not searching for the right thing or i had my eyes closed.

http://www.dbspot.com/NYC
New years competition... Fo Shizzle.
Teh Go0rfmeister
Years of Service
User Offline
interesting q, but im pretty sure it's probably less, since you're in the air and you slow down, whereas when you're on the ground you're constantly putting thrust backwards.

ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2005 02:08
Hmmm... slowing down. I hadn't even thought about that. Anyone know for certain?

JeBuS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2005 02:18 Edited at: 17th Jan 2005 02:31
If you are travelling at a constant velocity while on Earth (or any body that exerts a gravitational pull on you) you are actually accelerating, to 'escape' it's gravitational pull on you ever so slightly (ie, enough for you to move forward).

So if you jump into the air, you no longer have a means with which to accelerate (nothing to push off of, such as the ground), unless of course you have a jetpack or some such. But then you're getting into an entirely different area.

Ok, another example.

Think of the gas pedal in a car. That is actually the accelerator. What happens if you're driving along, then take your foot off the pedal? You stop (eventually). That's because you're no longer providing the acceleration needed to counteract the Earth's gravity. Now, take a car, and put it in the air, just off the ground. Hit the accelerator, what happens? Nothing, you go nowhere and the wheels spin. This is because there is nothing for your car to accelerate against anymore (except for some air, but that hardly offeres enough resistance to help propel you).

High quality models and graphics, low prices. Graphics for the rest of us.
ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2005 02:29
So you would slow down and not travel as far?

pizzaman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2005 02:59
This question depends on how complex you want to go, but the simple answer is it will be the same.

Think about it this way, if you had 2 people running at the same velocity, and one person jumps. That person still has the same speed as the other person throughout the jump and so cover the same distance.
In real life however, the person who hasn't jumped would travel further as when the person who has jumped lands, they will stumble slightly making them slow down for just a moment - even this though is neglible really.

As I say it depends how complex you want to go.

Teh Go0rfmeister
Years of Service
User Offline
i don't agree with pizza man.

its a matter of how much of the distance is through jumping.

if you have 3 people, one running, one jumping 1/4 of the distance and another jumping 1/2.

if the 2 jumpers jump at the same time, you'll notice at any point after, that the runner is ahead, the person who jumped 1/4 is second and the person who jumped 1/2 is behind.

this is because the person running hasn;t lost speed. the person who jumped 1/4 lost speed but not much, since he slowed down a bit but soon reached the floor again to reach top speed. the person who jumped 1/2 way lost most speed so falls behind.

stumbling also has an affect, and this is also a proportional value. the person who jumped further will stumble the most, thefore putting the guy who jumped 1/2 of the way even further behind.

however, when you run and jump and land in a run, you don't really stumble (watch the hurdles on the olympics) unless you're on really rough terrain like in the woods, but running in itself is considerably harder.

JeBuS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2005 05:48
Pizzaman, he's asking about the physics of it, not about the tendency towards being a klutz that you have

High quality models and graphics, low prices. Graphics for the rest of us.
ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2005 06:01 Edited at: 17th Jan 2005 06:01
lol, ok take the whole stumbling thing out.
The object is a cube, it doesn't stumble, but it is moving at a constant velocity. In a world with all the forces of the real world(Althought the only ones i'm concentrating on are: Gravity, air resistance and friction.)A force is applied which sends it upwards.
While its in the air, should it slow down?
I think it would only slow down if the only way to propell itself forwards was to be on the ground. But if it had, for instance, a propellor on its back, then its contant velocity would be maintained and it would travel the same distance as if it hadn't jumped at all. Or infact, as it was no longer on the ground, it could go further, because the friction of the ground was no longer acting on it.

Its definitely a tough one, and i spose it all comes down to wether it can maintain the same constant velocity while its in the air.

the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2005 07:22
If it was a person then it may use some of its forward momentum to jump and if it did it would slow down.

Quote: "this is not a quote"
pizzaman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2005 07:53 Edited at: 17th Jan 2005 07:55
@ El_Goorf

I did say the simple answer is it will be the same. However if you want to make it more complex -

Say you have 2 runners (again), one jumps, assume at the start of the jump both velocities of the runners are the same. Both runners experience air resistance, however the runner in the air will lose speed - but only fractionally; like the person who jumped might take an extra 0.1 seconds (at the most) to complete the race. Thus it becomes neglible.

However you've got to take into account the stumble/landing effect and also jumping effect. When most people jump when running, they accelerate a little as not all of the extra force needed to jump is applied perpendicular, but also horizontally. Even all of this though is neglible in the end though, unless the bodies (runners) were moving alot faster, then air resistance would pay a bigger part.

Also one of the biggest factors though is the terrain. If the terrain has peaks and troughs, then it would be more beneficial to jump from peak to peak if possible, cutting out the troughs.

Quote: "As I say it depends how complex you want to go."

@ JeBuS
Me klutz, I've never stumblerered on anything

@ ReD_eYe
I agree with the propellor thing.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 08:30:13
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 08:30:13