Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Quick RC car bashing video

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2005 02:35
A quick RC car bashing vid I made today. It shows my new Cuda shell (from SebAirbrush) with my home made lighting kit (doesn't look too bright in broad day light), then I switch back to the Revo bodyshell and hit the chalk bmx track. There's one slo-mo jump which looks pretty cool. Who put the block of concrete there???

Nothing too special, but worth a look. Just thought you guys might be interested in what is distracting me from game dev at the moment!

http://www.invisiblechainsaw.com/Revo/ProkofievRevo.avi (4mb)

DivX 5 required.

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2005 04:51
Looks quite good fun.

Osiris
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2005 04:57
looked rainy out, does that thing run on gas?

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2005 04:17 Edited at: 18th Jan 2005 04:18
Yeah. Nitromethane. Was a bit wet that day, but still good fun. Broke the toe-in turnbuckle on the front right wheel, but that's all part of the fun. Every weekend I take it out, every weekend I break it, every weekend I spend shed loads on new parts, they arrive by next weekend and I repeat.

It's all good fun!

Arkheii
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2005 20:45
I had a 1/10 Tamiya Stadium Thunder a few years back. I wanted a nitro Losi truck, but it wasn't available and it cost too much. Next best was the Stadium Blitzer (I think) which was the pro version of the ST, but it didn't come with a motor and the shop didn't sell spec motors. I think it's still around the house somewhere. I brought it to the beach once, but it was running on stock parts (I'm cheap) so it didn't handle too well on the sand. It slipped and drowned into the salty shore.

It's an electric R/C, but do you think it's worth rebuilding it and replacing its electronics and motor? It was fun enough just to see it kicking mud.

I spelled "disappointment" wrong. Pahintulutan ang di-inaasahang nakakahiyang pagkakamaling dulot ng kamangmangan. Have at you.
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2005 02:40
I used to have a stadium blitzer too. That was my first decent RC and I remember it being pretty fast. I used to be able to hit the double jump down my local bmx track, jump the first hump and land on the downhill of the second. My Revo is a monster in comparison, and at least twice as fast, but I remember the blitzer being pretty good.

I think if you want another hobby, it could well be fun to rebuild. If you want to get back into RC properly though, get a nitro truck like the Losi, T-Maxx, HPI Savage or Revo. Much more time needed, but much more rewarding. I started the hobby thinking it'd be good fun as 'something else' to do, and now it's my main hobby. Really addictive and good fun.

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2005 18:14
haha i love the mad airtime it gets and then just stops dead when it hits the block. is that the one with the neons?

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2005 02:18
Yeah, maximum airtime is what it's all about. The bigger the jump, the better. I didn't see that block of concrete before I took the jump, hence why I took it easy the second time.

what do you mean by neons mate?

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2005 02:43 Edited at: 20th Jan 2005 02:44
Neon lights I presume. Baz it up!

Isn't it? Wasn't it? Marvellous!
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2005 05:06
Just watched the video. Very nice . One thing I noticed though, you seem to accelerate a lot before the jump, which would affect how high the car goes. If possible, build up speed gradually before the jump then at the bottom of the hill/ramp/whatever increase acceleration radiply. Though, on that terrain I'm not sure how well the wheels would grip if you did that

CURRENT PROJECT: Chaos Hizzle Demo
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2005 17:11
yeah hwo you posted eariler about adding lights to one of your rc's, i just call em neons cause you add neons to cars and so forth.

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2005 04:03
@Uberwiggett
Yep, at the start of the vid there is a different bodyshell which has the lights on. I take that bodyshell off before I start mashing it up off-road.

@Benjamin
What's your thinking behind that jump height theory?

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2005 04:20 Edited at: 21st Jan 2005 04:24
Well, actually I read it in a book somewhere. The way I think it works is, if you suddenly increase speed at a certain angle there will be more 'thrust' in that direction, if you see what I mean. Try it and see if it works..

CURRENT PROJECT: Chaos Hizzle Demo
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2005 03:01
Yeah, I see the thinking there. If you go too fast into a steap incline you'll lose momentum as you change direction. On more gradual ramps though it pays to punch it from the start. I've just got some new gears so gonna have a play with a shorter ratio so I've got quick acceleration (I'm already pulling wheelies on full throttle!)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 08:32:10
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 08:32:10