Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / my dvd drive is broken.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2005 06:40
I put my computer together myself about 2 years ago. I have been having trouble with playing dvd on my computer for a couple of months now and now i have found out why. I cant play dvds on my computer because windows thinks the drive is a cd-rom drive. I thinks this must have happened last time i reformatted my hard drive, which i did about 2.5 months ago because of a virus i got on my computer. I had to replace my video card on my computer a week ago because it overheated. I replaced the fans too.

I dont think this overheated because it reads cds just fine. The dvd drive has no drivers, didnt come with any and none on the companies website, windows usually just detects it as a dvd drive. I am also haveing this problem with my cd-rw drive.

Does anyone know how to make windows recognize my cd-rw drive as a cd-rw drive and make windows recognize my dvd drive as a dvd drive.

the dvd drive is a artec 16x dvd-rom drive and the cd-rw drive is an artec 48x 12x 48x cd-rw drive, I have looked everywhere for a solution to this problem, i tried google, i tried to look for the book that came with the drives but i cant solve this problem and i didnt know what website to post this at or anything so i decided to post it here because someone here must know how to do this, so please help me
Osiris
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2005 07:00 Edited at: 17th Jan 2005 11:31
yeah when i reformatted wondows was missing a whole bunch of drivers for all of my things too, and you cant call windows, unless you want to pay them 20$ for trying because their too cheap to give free tech support for their slow product

DrakeX
Years of Service
User Offline
"and you cant caqll windows,"

indeed, it is impossible to "caqll" windows. however, microsoft, the company who makes windows, is available to call. you can also use this brand-new invention called THE INTERNET to contact them.

"when it's done" means "we have no idea, we forgot to do that; we were hoping you would all forget we promised <insert exotic promise here>"
Osiris
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2005 11:32
i still havent found any means of contacting them for free tech support on the internet or the phone

stupid kid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2005 12:18 Edited at: 17th Jan 2005 12:21
i have emailed the company that makes the cd drive but i havent got an email yet and i also dont know how to get free tech support from microsoft. But, I think the company that makes the dvd drive will be able to help me when they email me back

Edit: I have found where to contact microsoft about windows u can do contact them here http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-us&x=16&y=7&c1=509&gprid=3221& and u can call or email them two times for free and then u have to pay after that
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2005 12:53
usually you can visit the manufacturers website and download the required drivers or firmware updates.

eg:
for my lush pioneer DVD burners, i might visi

http://www.pioneer-eur.com/eur/support_software.jsp?category=support/software

If no-one gives your an answer to a question you have asked, consider:- Is your question clear.- Did you ask nicely.- Are you showing any effort to solve the problem yourself
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2005 14:15
Visit the manufacturer's site, download the drivers. Simple as that unless it's an extremely rare model

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2005 14:52
i hear an echo

If no-one gives your an answer to a question you have asked, consider:- Is your question clear.- Did you ask nicely.- Are you showing any effort to solve the problem yourself
stupid kid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2005 00:11
I tries to download drivers but the only drivers on their website for my dvd drive is for windows 3.1 and dos, it says windows should just recognize the drive. I emailed the company but i still havent got an email back.
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2005 00:43
Quote: " i hear an echo "

Sorry. I sorta jumped to reply seeing as I'd just upgraded the drivers for my Asus QuieTrack yesterday .

JerBil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2005 02:46
Here's a driver site, but you have to sign (free) up to download.

http://members.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=53986

-JerBil

Ad Astra Per Asper
stupid kid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2005 03:47 Edited at: 21st Jan 2005 04:47
I downloaded the file from that website but it is a dos driver, it ran in command prompt and it says my computer didnt have mscdex and according to http://www.computerhope.com/mscdex.htm mscdex is a
Quote: "Mscdex is a CD-ROM "redirector" that enables CD-ROM access from the MS-DOS."

This is a driver for dos so it wont help me and since i am running windows xp, i dont think this driver will help me.

Edit:

I fixed the problem, after i downloaded service pack 2, the drives work now, i dont know why it fixed it but it did, and the company never emailed me back.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 08:29:49
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 08:29:49