Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / is this possible

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2005 14:03
can you turn a flash file into a screensaver?

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2005 15:38
u can export a flash module as an executable. filename.exe

im sure there are wrappers to make it a screensaver.

u will need to make a fullsized invisible button that exits the screensaver in flash in your project.

If no-one gives your an answer to a question you have asked, consider:- Is your question clear.- Did you ask nicely.- Are you showing any effort to solve the problem yourself
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2005 15:52
Once in EXE form, you can simply rename it to the .scr extension and it will act like a screensaver.

"Computers are useless, they can only give you answers."
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2005 16:01
Quote: " is this possible"

no

Osiris
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2005 16:55
well i mean there is one thing that i downloaded and i want to make a screensaver out of it

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2005 17:10
The dangers of using any .exe as a screensaver is that:

a) It might not exit on a duplicate instance - you might end up with a swamped PC, running as many screensavers as you'll let it, leave your PC for too long and it crashes.

b) Screensavers rely on command line switches to decide if they're running, showing options, previewing etc etc. These switches can be checked in DBPro as far as I know, a flash executable though won't have a clue - or any program that is not intended as a saver.

Van-B

It's c**p being the only coder in the village.
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2005 18:33 Edited at: 17th Jan 2005 18:42
here is a simple test i made in flash.

change the name to scr and drop it in if u want to test it.

I made an invisible button to quit the program over the whole application.

edit: I just tried it in win98se and it failed using the src method.

as i said before u will need to probably get a free screen saver application and convert it

If no-one gives your an answer to a question you have asked, consider:- Is your question clear.- Did you ask nicely.- Are you showing any effort to solve the problem yourself

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2005 21:48
It needs to go in C:\windows\ by the way . I used a dbpro exe I made last night as a screensaver, but when I selected it in the settings, first it opened itself, then I closed it, then I clicked 'apply', then it opened itself . So anyway, after testing it, I went to the settings again, and as soon as I clicked on the screensaver tab, it opened again . I'm guessing you can avoid this if you check the command line options the screensaver gets sent, although it'll still open, it means you can close it again immidiatly.

Heres a tip: use C++ for making screensavers in

CURRENT PROJECT: Chaos Hizzle Demo
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2005 23:12
That's the command line switches causing that, basically it might be passing command lines to do different things, but your screensaver is ignoring them and trying to run in it's usual state every time. If you check the command line switches you can tell your program what to do when.

I'd suggest VB4 as a fun screensaver making tool - I used to make a lot, like firework displays, or Cockney W****r's Jokebook (a character from Viz would stand there telling you sick jokes ) - that only lasted until a workmate put a particularily non-PC religious joke on it (which I can't remember now) and it offended some visitors from a church we were doing a job for . VB4 has all the stuff you need to make safe screensavers or wrappers, in fact I think there was a DB screensaver maker thing that used a wrapper to handle whatever screensavers you made - maybe it was entered into that competition GuyS had so long ago.

Van-B

It's c**p being the only coder in the village.
Dodo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2005 02:48
I think if you select the screensaver option in DBPro(somewhere in the side panel) it does this automatically. Not sure tho. You have to put in checks for mousemoves and keypresses at the least.

Part of solving the problem is actually noticing that the problem is there in the first place

blanky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2005 01:37
These are the command line switches that are passed to the screensaver for different things:

In 'Screensaver' dialog, viewing the screensaver in the little fake monitor thingy:
/p 67496

(Where '67496' could be any number - haven't figured out if this is a hWnd or a hDC yet. Basically, if you get passed this switch just quit or show a little neat window somewhere, unless you can use this value.)

Settings: /c:329620

(329620 again could be any number. You don't need the number. Just show a settings dialog. When this terminates, the '/p whatever' switch is fired again.)

Run/Preview button: /s OR /S

As it says, /s or /S.

I think /s is used if it's just the 'Preview' button clicked, and /S if the screensaver is started by being double-clicked on, or started normally by Windows 'cuz the system's idle.

Again, I'm not sure, but I think that if you set the 'time' thingy to 10 minutes for example, for every 10 minutes of non-user interaction that passes your screensaver gets started again - so check to see if it's already running...

Avatar - white cat in a snowstorm. Look closely.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 08:34:33
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 08:34:33