Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Character/Storyline possibilities...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2005 16:17
I've just been thinking about this character selection thing and I think I've found a solution for it. This is only my solution from the information that I have collected from the forums, bear this in mind.
There a few options:
Lets say you had 3 characters Jimmy, Steve and the token female Sarah. Jimmy starts with 50% health but a huge selection of weapons, Steve has 100% health and a crappy pistol, Sarah has great breasts 90% health and a chaingun.
1) The Simple Option: apparently health, weapons etc... can be saved from level to level so create a character select screen at the start and when you click on a character it changes the health/weapon file to whatever the character is supposed to have.
2) The Difficult Option: Create a file that records the status of what character was picked at the start of the game. At the start of that (before it fully loads) the file is checked and the weapons/health/items are checked appropriately. Because you can chain .exe's together, this means that you can create an evolving storyline according to the player. for example: Steve needs to find a key in level 2 before the time runs out. If he finds the key it takes you to level 3a, if he doesn't it takes you to level 3b (two different levels in the game). after either of those levels you can go to level 4. But if playing as Sarah, she already has the key in her inventory in level 2 so she can play through the level and she automatically goes to 3a. Get the idea? I'm pretty sure this is possible in some way or another, its just a lot of effort.
Can any Beta testers/mods/lee/rick/rich confirm this?
I can't wait until the app is out so we can just ask other users rather than bloody relying/pestering the mods/betatesters!

-------------------------------------
www.ColdNews.co.uk - the worlds first solo band.
Evarcha
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2005 20:30
Ah, good idea! I assume it must be possible and your way sounds logical. Yeah, I feel a little like I am pestering the testers now, I have decided to calm the questions down because I don't wanna get flamed. They are releasing some stunning screenshots though, so much better than I'd hoped to be honest....it would be good to hear if what you say is possible. I would bet that once the EA is released that there will be a host of people seeing what tricks can be implimented to create the illusion of multiple character selection and cut-scenes that will add extra depth to a great blaster. One of the Beta testers is already tinkering with the possibility of cut scenes isn't he? Who's to say that your idea of character selection won't work? Can't wait to give it a go to be honest
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2005 20:31
Not sure about that but I did have an idea of what you might be able to do.

Create a 'starting area' with 3 doors (for the 3 characters). When you exit through one of the doors, it gives you appropriate health, weapons and ammo for that character and then locks the door behind you.

BlueGUI Windows Plugin
Coldnews
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2005 20:46
damn you rob K! piss on my parade why dont ya! :p
yeah I cant wait to get my hands on the scripting system and see if my idea is possible. I should have kept it to myself and blown away everyone when I released my first "multiple ending" shooter on everyones asses.

-------------------------------------
www.ColdNews.co.uk - the worlds first solo band.
Noldor
Years of Service
User Offline
Talk about getting your hopes up.
Altough nothing bad about that. I hope
it is possible. I look forward to your and everyone
elses game to.
Avan Madisen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2005 06:50
Quote: "If he finds the key it takes you to level 3a, if he doesn't it takes you to level 3b"

What you're saying there is what I want to see in FPSC (eventually), which is the ability to select which level is loaded next based on what objectives are completed. Therefore creating the possibly for branching stories!

I don't suffer from insanity:

I enjoy every minute of it!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-16 18:01:22
Your offset time is: 2024-04-16 18:01:22