Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Hoorah - Uni Offers!

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2005 18:57 Edited at: 17th Jan 2005 18:59
No one probably cares, but most Australian students will have received their Tertiary placement offers today (as opposed to other countries we actually start the school year at the beginning of the year ). I hope everyone got their first preference and the offer they wanted, I know I did!

For anyone interested, I got into the 'Bachelor of Multimedia (Games and Interactivity) / Bachelor of Science (Computer Science and Software Engineering)' at Swinburne University, which I am very pleased about. Quite a lengthy title, but basically the course is a double degree in Games Design and Programming, which means I'll be spending 4 years learning to become a Computer Games Programmer (with an additional year of Industry Experience), although at the end I could potentially have a range of jobs ranging from 3D Modelling/Animation to Software Development to Games Journalism. With my hometown being the largest city for game development in Australia (There are around 6 Game Dev Houses in Melbourne), I'm very pleased with my placement.

I'm not sure how many other forum members are entering tertiary institutes this year, but I'd be interested to hear what courses they'll be doing.

"Computers are useless, they can only give you answers."
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2005 19:11
good luck mate, my brother applied for film and tv but got multimedia.

If no-one gives your an answer to a question you have asked, consider:- Is your question clear.- Did you ask nicely.- Are you showing any effort to solve the problem yourself
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2005 21:48 Edited at: 17th Jan 2005 21:49
ha i applie dfor both of those, thing is i think vtac stuffed me around and put me on a diff computer science course with swinny, should eb able to differ to teh other course though with ya exeat, thats if i dont get into rmit, which i dont think i will.

edit i just checked, im doing some computer instrument cours,e wtf is with that! i totally selected a games course, freakin vtac i hate them

Robin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2005 21:50
Congrats!

I'm in the UK but we get offers from unis about now and we start in september. I'm going to uni in september! I've got offers from UCL, Imperial college and Southampton (All to study civil engineering) but I'm not sure which one to go for yet...)

Robin

http://www.thegameszone.tk | robin@thegameszone.tk

Don't waste paper. It's not like it grows on trees.
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2005 21:52
Quote: "good luck mate, my brother applied for film and tv but got multimedia."

Thanks Indi, it'll probably be a lot of hard work but then again, what isn't?

Quote: "ha i applie dfor both of those, thing is i think vtac stuffed me around and put me on a diff computer science course with swinny, should eb able to differ to teh other course though with ya exeat, thats if i dont get into rmit, which i dont think i will. "

Yeah, if you don't get it in the second round offers then you might be able to transfer later in the year, I'm not sure how it works but there's usually other ways to get into the courses you want. Hope it works out for you.

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2005 03:39
I'm in the UK, so far I have offers to study Computer Science at Southampton (ABB), York (AAB), Surrey (BBB) and Kent (BBB).

York is a possibility, but too far North, and I really don't fancy a year learning Scheme. Surrey and Kent are not really academic enough, which leaves me with Southampton

BlueGUI Windows Plugin
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2005 06:29 Edited at: 18th Jan 2005 06:37
HAHAHHA guess what, i got into the course i didnt want,

Computer Science (Swinburne University of Technology TAFE - Hawthorn) [Code: 77301]

and i realzied that a 4 year course in computer gmaes isnt something i would have selected, so i dunno whats goin on with my choice, i know i chose something else though.

im gonna try and get into this instead

Advanced Diploma of Screen (Digital Film & Television)
CUF60101

yeah sure its not computers but i think i can differ the comp course and reselect this one maybe start it mid year instead, but thsi has put me in a bind i tells ya what.

Philip
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2005 07:16
I can tell every single one of you considering which University offer to accept, that if you want to maximise your future career, you should choose the University which has the highest prestige in the area you want to eventually work.

Every industry and profession I have encountered, including my own profession, will always prefer an applicant from the better University to the applicant from the worse University, all other things being equal.

Philip

What do you mean, bears aren't supposed to wear hats and a tie? P3.2ghz / 1 gig / GeForce FX 5900 128meg / WinXP home
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2005 12:10
That's good advice Philip, although the University I'm entering isn't the most prestigious down here, it is the best in the area of technology and one of the only ones to offer the course I'm entering.

Quote: "yeah sure its not computers but i think i can differ the comp course and reselect this one maybe start it mid year instead, but thsi has put me in a bind i tells ya what. "

I believe you can apply for an Irregular Offer or something like that if you don't get the course you want, or you put down the wrong courses on your preference list. I'm not certain that it'll work though.

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2005 15:13
yeah i rang up and abused teh vtac guy after he says "well on the 17th you put in this application" and im all like "NO I SELECTED COMPUTER GRAPHICS NOT COMPUTER SCIENCE!" and he is all like "NO YOU DIDNT YOU HAVE MADE A MISTAKE" and i said "WELL OBVIOUSLY ONE OF US HAS!, what can i do to fix it or apply for another course?". So now i got that irregular form, and i rang up a film n tv course with swinburne but they were full, but instead i found a comp graphics course with rmit which is down the road from my house, and they said they have spots open and should be able to get me in, which is good. then i spent the day looking for housing to rent out with some mates. I hate vtac, they always screw up my appliactions. when i left year 12 i paid my $30 or so to apply for three courses, come round 1 offers oh sorry you have not applied for any courses, bad luck. WTF! then the course i wanted i tried my arse off to get into via non vtac methods and i got into it the year after. truck you vtac.

Arkheii
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2005 21:10
Offers, as in scholarship offers? Lucky sap, haha. Just because the position of "Number one Chinese-Filipino student in the country" was already taken by my classmate (grrr...), scholarships flock towards him.

The scary thought is that most of the best and brightest students in the history of my school end up teaching in my school or turning in to Jesuits or becoming uber-religious after they graduate, just because they feel they've been "called by God." o_O

I spelled "disappointment" wrong. Pahintulutan ang di-inaasahang nakakahiyang pagkakamaling dulot ng kamangmangan. Have at you.
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2005 21:40
No, not scholarships. Just tertiary study offers, i.e. you apply for a number of University courses and they will offer you a placing depending on your secondary school results. I actually considered applying for a few of the I.T. scholarships, but decided against it when I realised they were all business-focused. Never really fancied Economics or Accounting, I'd much rather do something I enjoy.

flibX0r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2005 21:44
i got a score of 81.9, not bad since i failed english

and i got into my course of choice, BSc Games Technology at Murdoch Uni

A baby seal walks into a club...
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2005 00:14 Edited at: 19th Jan 2005 03:20
Quote: "Every industry and profession I have encountered, including my own profession, will always prefer an applicant from the better University to the applicant from the worse University, all other things being equal."

Emphasis on better for the subject here. For example Southampton as a whole is only 20th or so nationally, but numero uno for Electronics outside of the USA. Computer Science ratings vary quite a bit depending on whoose league table you use, and whether they see it as a maths degree or an engineering degree (York is either No.2 or No.10 for example).

To be honest, I think there is far more to it than the University you went to (important though it may be).

BlueGUI Windows Plugin
Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2005 03:13 Edited at: 19th Jan 2005 03:17
Quote: "Kent"

Woot! Although Kent is sh!te

If I want to save money, don't mind living with my parents, are going to do computer sciences I could do my course at Kent EDIT: Although I would rather go to a better uni and pay or go to a better uni, do a different course and pay

Btw in Kent do you get an internet connection in your room? Preferably fast

Woot (again) today I got a blue tie at my scool (not that great a thing) which means I am more than halfway into sixth-form there

ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2005 05:59
Thats pretty patronising really...
"Oooooh, you're a little bit older, have a nice blue tie. Wear it proudly, you sure have earned it!"

I'd rather have money.

http://www.dbspot.com/NYC
New years competition... Fo Shizzle.
Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2005 06:25
So would I....nah its too show that we are far superior to the other stupid idiots and I think by using coersion (spelling?!), blue ties and other tactcs to forward my computer

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2005 07:54
Quote: "i got a score of 81.9, not bad since i failed english"

I didn't think you could fail English, I always thought you needed a study score of 25 to get into any Uni courses. Unless you mean you just did really bad in English, but didn't actually fail.

flibX0r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2005 12:23
no i failed, i got 30%, but i did this thing called the STAT test which allows me to go to uni

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2005 13:04
Oh ok, didn't know you could do that. English is pretty useless anyway, I couldn't care less about analysing news articles.

Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2005 17:19
Quote: "It is the best in the area of technology and one of the only ones to offer the course I'm entering."

Pfft, Charles Sturt is the best one on the Eastern side of Aust... Probably the best in all of Aus

Hopefully I'll get offered a position into the course I wanna get into

42minutes till I find out

Jess.

Team EOD :: Programmer/All-Round Nice Guy
Aust. Convention!
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2005 18:28
Lmao, you're joking, right?

Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2005 18:47
Of course I'm not

Btw, for those that care, I got offered my spot

http://www.csu.edu.au/courses/ug/sci/cs_gt/

Oh, and just to annoy Exeat, I got a higher comparative mark than he did, and I got accepted into the course he posted about just now, however, I am choosing this course, as it is better And Exeat wouldn't have been accepted

Jess.

Aust. Convention!
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2005 18:53
You had a higher mark by like 0.4, which is nothing considering the mark is a percentage of your ranking in the state. Speaking of which, we live in different states so they can't be directly comparable, for all we know, my state could be full of geniuses and yours full of dumb people... like you.

Oh, and you only say that course is better because it's local to you and you don't want to travel interstate, in reality CSU doesn't even rank next to Swinburne, I mean seriously, your Uni has like 2 Computer Science courses in total. Ha!

Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2005 19:36
lmao

Sure, you may be right about the ranking... but you're ... wrong ... about... the ... Um... ... Um...

LOCAL! You're wrong about it being local! I have to move about 4hrs drive from home. Quite a distance considering that most of that 4hrs is on freeways.

And, you're only saying all that cos your so jelous

Jess.

Aust. Convention!
flibX0r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2005 22:31
one of my friends got 99.95. and he won't bloody shut up about it

congrats to all who got in

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2005 23:31
tell him he is a freakin nerd then. i got 53.5 when i di dmine, and i have my own tv show, so suffer in ya jox.

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2005 07:01 Edited at: 20th Jan 2005 07:36
Quote: "one of my friends got 99.95. and he won't bloody shut up about it"

Yeah, my mate got 99.7 and he's doing a course he could've gotten into with 85. Fortunately he doesn't brag about it all the time though.

Edit: Btw Jess, I found the UAC 2005 cut-off list, I told you the course you wanted to go into would go down. It dropped to 75.35, as opposed to Swinny's course which is 81.15.

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2005 08:41
jess isn't a girl. anyway exeat any spots in your course free, i have to put an irregular offer into somewhere, but allthe places i wanna be in either dont accept irreg offers, are full, or are a traineeship that you need to be in the industry for.

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2005 08:49 Edited at: 20th Jan 2005 08:50
Well at the moment there have been 50 places offered, although apparently they only planned to offer 20 last year, so it's pretty damn full. However, you can always nick Jessie's place because he accepted his offer to go to CSU.

I'm not sure how the irregular offer system works though so I don't know if you can do that.

Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2005 08:57
Unlucky, if I was put on the wrong course I would kill them or get someone else to do it .'. avoiding prison...

Anyway, for gettting that Blue Tie of mine I got Creative 5.1 Inspire speakers although old, they are far better than anything I've ever had that has more than 1 channel (I have two good single channel speakers (besides they're connected to my hi-fi ) but no converter). I'm now happy with lots of bass

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2005 10:26
i might just do that, if he differed maybe i can get in i dunno. how much does this 4 year course cost in fees.

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2005 01:35
what's an irreg offer?

Yarr join LoGD and defeat your fellow coders!
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2005 07:04
when you dont gety into what you want with vtac after first round you can apply to another course of your choice by the irregular offer form for rounds 2 and 3

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2005 08:00
It's a new course so I don't know what the fees will be yet.

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2005 08:33
well i dunno how well off you are, but the full fees on teh computer graphics course i cant get into were 13k , and with hecs still 6k a year for two years. so be prepared to pay huge for your course.

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2005 08:38 Edited at: 21st Jan 2005 08:38
Yeah, I'll be going the HECS (actually now called HELP ) route, it's quite annoying as Uni fees just had a large increase this year as well. However, if I ever run into trouble, I can always get help from my folks.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 08:27:04
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 08:27:04