Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Skyboxes, help PLZ

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2005 05:10
after you load a skybox, how do u get the texture on it again, i loaded one from darkmatter into my game, but its not textured anymore

Video games…they can take you places unreachable, impossible, unfeasible. They put you in the book...they put you in the movie...they put you in a world, a world that before could only be imagined.
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2005 12:09
anyone?

Video games…they can take you places unreachable, impossible, unfeasible. They put you in the book...they put you in the movie...they put you in a world, a world that before could only be imagined.
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2005 15:42
Make sure the texture files are in the same folder as the skybox model file and just use

It should texture itself.

Clueless
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2005 09:08
Lost in Thought's suggestion is definitely the first thing to try.

If that fails, assuming your skybox is a .X model in ASCII format, try opening it with Notepad and searching for the string ".bmp" or ".jpg" (or whatever your texture files are named).

This will take you to the section of the .X file where the texture files are defined. Look at the filename referenced there and make sure that there is NOT a hardcoded reference to the texture file's path. That is, you DO NOT want something like:

"C:\Program Files\My Models\23December2004\front.bmp"

you do want something like:

"front.bmp"

Many 3D modeling programs allow you to specify an absolute path to the texture files. This breaks things for anyone who doesn't have that same directory structure on their computer.

It's not as common as what Lost in Thought mentioned though, which is the exact opposite of what I'm describing -- usually the texture files are referenced relative to the folder containing the model. With no directory name in front of the texture file, that means the same folder. If you don't put the textures in there with the model, you get nada.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 09:30:47
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 09:30:47