Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / EA on the offensive?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2005 08:13 Edited at: 18th Jan 2005 08:14
EA seems to have learned a little something from all those WW2 games they spit out over the last few years, because their behavior is beginning to look alot like the early years of WW2, now replace Hitler with the CEO's of EA, and the rest of europe with the games industry, and you see a pretty clear picture of what EA is doing.

Now lets review this from a military standpoint just for fun!

EA knew that with the release of the ESPN line of games, that it was in a dangerouse position, these new NFL based games, were cheaper yet just as good, if not better than their own golden franchise, madden NFL. So seeing the opportunity to strike, EA cut off their enemy's with a decisive victory, sealing a deal that landed them exclusive rights to the NFL name, and players. This was a huge blow to the producers of the ESPN games, who had made a success of slicing into the EA dominated market.

When the smoke cleared, EA had sole rights to publish games using the NFL tag and it's players. But EA's competition still had an option, using the ESPN license, they could generate games using players that were no longer in the NFL, a all stars game so to speak could be devised, to undermind the nazi dictatorship that is EA. But before this clan could be fully realized EA struck again! This time signing an exclusive deal to make them the only publisher able to use the ESPN license! A crushing defeat for EA's enemys now doubt, how could a company express such an offensive attack on it's own industry as this?

Well EA is not through yet, it has recently bought up 20% of ubisoft, and even though it claims that it is not attempting to take over the company, there is no real reason to doubt the worste, that EA is attempting a hostile attack on Ubisoft, an attack that could send ripples through the games industry! What if, ubisoft falls under the controlling hands of EA! The very thoughts are horrible, thoughts of a Farcry remake starring an NFL quarterback stuck on and island forced to play football agains genetically mutated players sends sharp pains though my spine! THE HORROR!

EA MUST BE STOPPED!

Guns arn't the problem, people are the problem, shoot all the people and guns arn't a problem anymore.
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2005 08:30
Interesting piece.

*rushes out to purchase more EA stock*

--[GameBasic - Coming Soon]-- ^^^ banner generously designed by TheBigBabou
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2005 08:49
Industries are competitive by nature. Classifying trade deals as 'attacks' hardly qualifies-- they're what keeps business from stagnating

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2005 08:59
Quote: "*rushes out to purchase more EA stock*"

Should see about a Microsoft team when you finish Uni, company stock is worth a tad more heh

Seriously speaking about what EA are doing currently... well quite frankly they're a business company who's lasted just as long as Microsoft because they have similar business strategies when it comes to aqusitions. EA are merely taking advantage of the currently market state.

As it was noted a few weeks ago and will probably be echoed at GDC in March, 'Gamers are waking up to the same generic rehashed titles, and are begining to demand more bang for thier buck with more original titles that make game playing fun again'

The fact is the industry while the big games still rake in the cash is slowly dieing just as the movie industry did in the 60-70s, and had to be 'reborn' with E.T.
Rather than looking at what happened to the movie industry and thinking 'yeah, well they never made the money we have'.. companies like Eidos / UbiSoft / EA / Nintendo / Microsoft / THQ have all be purchasing new companies like crazy recently. EA has the most coverage of this, however it is clear alot of companies are trying to consolitate thier markets and get the widest cashflow rather than just the biggest hits.

Vivendi Universal would be doing this if, ya know half the industry didn't see them as the Devil in an Orange logo.
Seriously after the debuckle of World of Warcraft and Half-Life 2, alot of companies are finding it very hard to trust them; especially considering alot of thier staff are currently defecting to smaller houses in droves just to get away from them.

Soon we'll be looking at a big shift of power across the board really, THQ / UbiSoft / Eidos really do have much more exciting titles lined up currently... with Nintendo still pushing thier own unique brand of stuff. What is going to be seen is what is really currently being seen at the moment. A huge shift in purchasing.

Half-Life 2 proclaimed as 'the best game of history' by a number of magazines quite proudly in my local Game and GameStations sites on the shelf according to the guys in GameStation is actually selling pretty badly there. Where-as try to get you hand on a copy of Zelda : Four Swords... was out-of-stock the first 3x I tried to buy it!! This has been a pattern recently with alot of games, like Prince of Persia : Warrior Within. I wasn't able to purchase the GC version, so ended up getting the PC version instead. (took it back the other week to trade platforms).

But it is a major shift in what people are purchasing. Even the top 10 Game Chart is a very interesting blend of games atm, more interesting than it has been for almost a decade imo...

Says something to everyone, especially those who wish to create nice small eclectic games here
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2005 16:54
You can't avoid EA now, you might as well just buy all there games and get a tattoo, because they're simply gonna swallow every small software house out there. Sadly EA does'nt seem to care that we like smaller software houses who can produce interesting games for us folk who've seen beyond regurgitated sports games and want more.

They better keep their mitts off Rockstar North.

Van-B

It's c**p being the only coder in the village.
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2005 17:06
Quote: "how do you respond to claims the EA is the f'ing devil?

EA do not comment on rumors."

Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2005 20:13
Quote: "They better keep their mitts off Rockstar North."

Amen to that, if i see "GTA: Madden style" anytime soon, I am so gonna go postal on they're asses.

<Mouse> lag, d'you like "real" RPGs? : <drac_work> ... : <drac_work> isnt that an oxymoron : * Mouse slaps drac_work :
<Mouse> don't contradict me bitch
Zero Blitzt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2005 20:35 Edited at: 18th Jan 2005 20:35
They'd better keep their mitts off Retro >_>

"Metroid Prime: 2K5"

"And C++ has 2 version Microsoft visual C++ and Bordland C++."
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2005 20:37
they wont get metroid if they get retro, metroid is still nintendo, and they wont get nintendo.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2005 21:12
I just started on Metroidrime (GC) last night, damn that's a tough game! - still haven't escaped that first ship despite my admirable ass-whooping of that end of level baddie. Damn good game though, I love rolling around the place like some demented Critter.

The worst thing for me about EA's attitude, is that they are producing good games, it'd be so much easier to hate them if they weren't making stuff like Burnout3 and Battlefront.

Van-B

Van-B

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2005 21:42
who was that last masked poster? heh

personally I'm getting sick and bloody tired of GTA. I bought San Andreas last week, played it once and it's remained in the box since.

it just seems too much like the previous GTA 3 titles that, honestly speaking got bored very very quickly. when it was translated to 3D they tried to go all hyper-realistic, giving you gangs and a storyline, blah blah.. what hooked me on GTA and GTA 2 was the fact it was quite literally mindless carnage really. You'd get in a car speed off at 90mph just to take out a bunch of harichrisna. hit a truck and steal another car. before finding a spray shop to get the cops off your back.

it was so damn appearling because gameplay and mission were so brainless, didn't require trying to think about things or even understand where things were on the map. disappointed me really given the original preview had a cool not cartoon but unrealistic look to it.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2005 23:39
Nah, you gotta put that puppy back in your PS2...

It's the best ever for mindless messing around, there's a 2 player drive-by and run-around mode, BMX's, Mountain bikes, girlfriends, gym's, pool, arcade machines, racing - there's more stuff to waste your time in San Andreas than any other GTA game. The gang system can be real fun - like I often grab some uzi's and go on a drive by rampage on my BMX, some of the things those NPC's do are just insane. I was on a date, and just about to drive away from the restaurant when an enemy gang member dragged her out of my car and held her by the hair while he shot her in the head - the AI is getting better and better all the time.

The soundtrack is awesome as well, old school gangster rap and even some Faith No More, it could very well be 1991 all over again.

I was thinking about buying a PS2 just to play it, but decided to wait on the PC and XBox versions then bought a GameCube instead .

Van-B

MicroMan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2005 00:14

I just noticed the image in Van B's sig. What on earth is that guy doing!?

*feeling innocent and saintly*

-----
They SAID that given enough time a million monkeys with typewriters could recreate the collected works of William Shakespeare... Internet sure proved them wrong.
-----
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2005 00:19
He's laughing maniacly (sp) - nothing questionable I promise . I should really change that soon, It's from a WIP RPG engine that I found - no idea who's.

Van-B

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2005 00:34
Can't really be bothered to try and play it again.
my brother and his mate play it alot aparently, but meh! I've not been overly impressed by the current selection of PS2 titles really.

to be perfectly honest it has been mostly total bildge. not to mention some of these 'killer' titles currently comming out right now have really left me bored to tears.

Half-Life 2 for example.. completed it but was like 'meh' throughout the entire thing. Something I'm *truely* looking forward to is Republic Commando, saw the trailer for it today... game just looks, and appears to play so lushly.
While sure it won't really forward the genre itself, just seeing how the AI reacts to situations and the depth they gone to; like Dirt on the visor and enemies that watched thier mates head get blow off to do a runner heh

Game appears to focus far more on better AI than on pure numbers of enemy. With the teamplay elements, really gets me excited about it.
Most of the 'AAA' games I really don't agree with right now as I have them all now and really most of them will just be played by my brother cause I play them for an hour or so and that seems to be all I feel like playing them.

There really does need to improve in the quality over quantity of titles.
GothOtaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2005 03:26
The only developers I've been thouroughly impressed with consistently are Monolith and Id. Never a bad game from 'lith(OK, Contract J.A.C.K. and Blood 2 could've been better) and Id is still the king of technology (even if their gameplay could've been a bit better). Sadly, Monolith just became Warner Interactive... Valve also looks like they might be a contender in the FPS-only dept. but they've done nothing but Half-life so I wonder how well they can adapt.
Major Payn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2005 06:04
This just in, ID and monolith have been conquered by EA, new Doom game will take place on a deserted football field, where you must battle an evil, and demonic fungus infection! OUCH!

Guns arn't the problem, people are the problem, shoot all the people and guns arn't a problem anymore.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 08:28:28
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 08:28:28