Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Come live in the world!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2005 20:37
The world islands, that is.

From the makers of the Palm Islands comes the next big thing... the world islands.

http://guide.theemiratesnetwork.com/living/dubai/the_world_islands.php

Don't you just love these kind of things? I mean, there are so many dying people in the world, and someone actually goes and builds an island replica of the earth. It's crazy...

"And C++ has 2 version Microsoft visual C++ and Bordland C++."
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2005 23:42
It's crazy, eliteist, arrogant, inethical, and I'd love to buy little Scotland if I had the cash.

Van-B

It's c**p being the only coder in the village.
Ermes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2005 00:17
really incredible....

Free Download for a Free World
go to my www to play RAVEN, THE FLIGHT OF RAVEN, SUNDAY DRIVERS and SUNDAY PANZERS!
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2005 03:09
Quote: "I mean, there are so many dying people in the world, and someone actually goes and builds an island replica of the earth. It's crazy..."
I take it you haven't been to Dubai then? It's so amazingly loaded it's jaw dropping. Never seen that amount of supercars going by or parked around that wasn't in a convention. Although never seen so amazingly poor people either. On one hand you have the minority locals that you never see that are worth a *fortune* (they have villas, not apartments, and they have their own *grass*), and the other hand you see all the indians who came there for jobs working for nothing basically. And then inbetween there is a s**tload of europeans, australians, and americans, basically doing contract work. A lot of the labourer type jobs are managed by non-indians for example, but the workforce is indian.

Of course it helps if you are staying there as part of a software team working for Emirates airways, and they put you up in one of the two main apartment buildings they use solely to accommodate the plane staff. ie. air hostesses. You should have seen when they were all going out to a staff party. Wall to wall air hostesses waiting for taxis outside. Hubba hubba.... The bar behind the building (with the gym) was always popular. Esp because the air hostesses sunned themselves by the pool. Which was next to the bar which showed premiership football live. On a saturday. With unlimited expenses from thankfull bosses. Pretty much heaven for 3 months I tell you....

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2005 16:56 Edited at: 19th Jan 2005 16:59
http://guide.theemiratesnetwork.com/living/dubai/the_world_islands.php

As if there wasn't enough islands to be smashed by natural disasters. I'll stick to the larger land masses.

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2005 20:08
they built a huge palm island as well before this project. its visible from low orbit.

If no-one gives your an answer to a question you have asked, consider:- Is your question clear.- Did you ask nicely.- Are you showing any effort to solve the problem yourself
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2005 00:54
Quote: "Don't you just love these kind of things? I mean, there are so many dying people in the world, and someone actually goes and builds an island replica of the earth. It's crazy..."

Oh my god. I can't believe you bought a PC to post that message, when there are thousands of dying people who could have needed the £1000 it cost.

Get 15 new commands, all the date / time commands left out of DBPro for free!
DOWNLOAD PLUGINS HERE: http://www.davidtattersall.me.uk/ and select "DarkBasic"
Teh Go0rfmeister
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Don't you just love these kind of things? I mean, there are so many dying people in the world, and someone actually goes and builds an island replica of the earth. It's crazy..."

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2005 01:50
hell if I were rich, I'd blow 7 million on my own little island

Yarr join LoGD and defeat your fellow coders!
DarkSin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2005 05:18
I like the idea.... but why make a miniture image of the earth... on the earth to live on... .

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2005 08:09
imagine your neighbours.

yeah bill lives on the other side of the complex, peter owns one of the NZ islands. Rupert owns the nsw in australia. Nicole lives on the queensland island.

Robbie bought a uk island etc..

If no-one gives your an answer to a question you have asked, consider:- Is your question clear.- Did you ask nicely.- Are you showing any effort to solve the problem yourself
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2005 09:37

There will always be people dying in the world. Why is that a reason to bring all interesting and great achievments to a halt? What greatness, what history, what point is there in a civilization that is so concerned about surviving, it doesn't have anything to survive for?

I say, nice, very cool. Good job. Wouldn't mind living there.

Zero Blitzt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2005 09:45
Good points, I mean, heck if I were rich, I'd probably be the biggest hypocrite on these forums

Quote: "Oh my god. I can't believe you bought a PC to post that message, when there are thousands of dying people who could have needed the £1000 it cost"

Haha, first of all I didn't buy this PC, and secondly it sucks anyway, it's net value is probably $200

"And C++ has 2 version Microsoft visual C++ and Bordland C++."
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2005 01:30
$200 dollars can feed a starving child in africa for year, you evil sick twisted computer user!

Yarr join LoGD and defeat your fellow coders!
Baggers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2005 04:58
I think its a great idea these islands being built, ok ill never be able to afford to get one, but once upon a time we did stuff just to prove we could (or to beat the commies to it...the moon landing) now i love that, not enough of it is done nowerdays.
But on the idea that human life isnt worth surviving for thats (bluntly put) crap, get out do some survival camping, it rocks!...plus if your not having a good time then ur not doing life right yet, ok its hard to do it right nowerdays, they old pilaging and marauding has almost been stopped, but some traditions should never die
TO THE LONGBOATS !
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2005 10:44 Edited at: 21st Jan 2005 10:45
@Zero Blitz- OMG you heartless, numbheaded, jerk-face, beatle-bottom, banana panted, nose-sealed(yes i have a cold), gumball wad!

how dare you get you're avatar from the same place as i did!

nice to know there's somebody else out there who's a Hitch hiker's guide to the galaxy lover

"We make the worst games in the universe."

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 08:22:43
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 08:22:43