Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / want to get an electric guitar

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2005 11:17
First of all..i have no idea how to play a guitar..how to read the notes..or how to get the cool sounds they get in songs. I play viola cuz my parents are big classical fans and they hate rock of any form. Anyway i was wondering how i should ask them if I could buy one( i was looking at the $99 on amazon). I definanitely shouldn't ask my dad because he hates rock the most.

Also, before I ask them..has anyone bought the $99 dollar one on amazon and can it do the stuff like in American Idiot.

/end stupid questions

Am I an Idiot...or is everyone else just really smart?
i am foonman305
Osiris
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2005 11:20
Quote: "Also, before I ask them..has anyone bought the $99 dollar one on amazon and can it do the stuff like in American Idiot."

99$ no
100,000$ yes...

that one is probably generic but thats the best type to learn on

Mucky Muck Ninja
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2005 11:24
you mean the $99 dollor one right..i somehow doubt i could save up 100,000 bucks on my weekly allowance..

i am foonman305
BaZko
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2005 11:47 Edited at: 20th Jan 2005 11:47
Quote: " but..,it would be saving you money from bailing me out of jail because i will be too ocupied with my guitar to get in trouble. Probably will keep me away from drugs too."

nice excuse....

how about:
Quote: "If a robber comes i can hit him in the head with it since its heavy...i think."

Join the new years contest!
Mucky Muck Ninja
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2005 12:07 Edited at: 20th Jan 2005 12:15
lol bob. I think their main problem with it would be having to listen to me play. Maybe if I promised to keep the volume low then they would agree.

EDIT
i thought of an ace...if im right you can play into head phones correct? So if their main problem was noise, besides thinking i would take time off viola, they should be fine! Tell me if im right about the head phones

i am foonman305
Lord Ozzum
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2005 12:27
hmmmmm....
Maybe you could mail Amazon the money.

"I don’t want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it by not dying."
---Woody Allen
"I Wanna Rock and roll all night, and party everyday!" --Kiss
Mucky Muck Ninja
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2005 12:36
heh....now thats just sneaky.

i am foonman305
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2005 17:01
tell them to go f themselves. if you wanna play rock music you have to yell at your parents every once in a while. if you want to ROCk however, don't pay attention to what your parents say and get what you want, namely a guitar, then that will give you access to women.

Zero Blitzt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2005 21:22
Quote: "Also, before I ask them..has anyone bought the $99 dollar one on amazon and can it do the stuff like in American Idiot.
"

Hahahaha

As long as you know how to play, you can do anything your little mind can think of. Then again, there are nicer guitars with different... stuff.

Meh, I'm a drummer so I really don't know, but my brother & dad & uncle play guitar. Not to mention a whole bunch of neighbors.

"And C++ has 2 version Microsoft visual C++ and Bordland C++."
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2005 22:57
american idiot is greenday, right? Well, if you're unlike me and actually like that crappy punk-like wannabe band, their music is extremely simple. If you practice, you'll be playing the song in less than a year. A $100 guitar will do anything a $5000 guitar will do, its just how well it sounds. With your viola background, I bet you'll write some nice stuff in the future. If you listen to some of metallica's best songs(justice for all), you definately hear hetfield's classical training. But for starting out, $100 guitar is all anyone needs. Everybody starts there. My senior year in HS, I bought a custom made Carvin for about $1100. My first guitar I got for $100 was a Bentley.(no, nothing like the car) It's in pieces right now because I'm refinishing it again along with another body.

Oh, are you looking at electric or acoustic? Just go to a local guitar shop like a Sam Ash or something and pick out a cheap guitar, or even check the pawn shops. And tell your dad that guitar can do a lot more than rock music, but you'll still play viola. And if he doesn't believe you, I'll record my beethoven on guitar for ya.

Sam Ash has a Squire Bullet guitar for $100. (samash.com)

"eureka" - Archimedes
Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2005 23:02
Quote: "Well, if you're unlike me and actually like that crappy punk-like wannabe band, their music is extremely simple."

Very true though...

Quote: "but..,it would be saving you money from bailing me out of jail because i will be too ocupied with my guitar to get in trouble. Probably will keep me away from drugs too."

I have excuses like that, how else do you think I'm getting my new PC

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2005 00:17
Quote: "If you practice, you'll be playing the song in less than a year"

Somehow I don't think it would even take 6 months to get good enough to play something like that . Unless your a reallly slow learner.

CURRENT PROJECT: Chaos Hizzle Demo
Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2005 00:19
Or 10 minutes, with a few weeks to perfect it

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2005 00:36
I meant from not being able to play the guitar at all.

CURRENT PROJECT: Chaos Hizzle Demo
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2005 07:07
yeah greenday is hell of simple to learn, like most nirvana songs, and green day used to be cool, back with their first songs like longview etc, but hell os such as a crap band now.

BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2005 07:56
Maybe it's just me but I'm learning guitar and after playing on my friend's electric and my other friend's accoustic I found it much easier to learn on accoustic.

Crazy Donut Productions, Current Project: Project Starbuks
Sony stole our name!
Mucky Muck Ninja
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2005 08:51
well i asked and they agreed. A lot less hard than I had imagined it being lol. I'm getting one on saturday! Also how do u get it to sound fuzzy like in most songs im not sure how to describe it. Is that the amp or something else i gotta buy. (only have $146)

i am foonman305
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2005 09:17 Edited at: 21st Jan 2005 09:17
its called distortion, your amp will prolly come with a gain button/knob and you turn it on or increase it to distort your sounds, although gain also makes it louder, otherwise buy a distortion pedal.

ROCK AND ROLLLLLLLL!

edit: teh button on mine is the over drive, thats a form of distortion that increases the volume with it.

Zero Blitzt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2005 09:20
Heh, I love fooling around on my bro's guitar with high distortion

"And C++ has 2 version Microsoft visual C++ and Bordland C++."
Mucky Muck Ninja
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2005 09:25
ok cool. i will post again if i get any good results. Unless i forget...which there is a pretty good chance I will.

i am foonman305
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2005 10:33
ask your parents for the guitar in my thread

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 08:30:30
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 08:30:30