Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Character Creator - Idea for V1

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2005 01:10
As "variety" is the key to this application. I understand that maybe getting people to rely on using the pre-made models or making their own is gonna narrow your audience down a little. I have an idea that may be able to solve that up to a certain point. If a Character editor could be made as an add-on or as something for V1 (somthing like Tony Hawks or The Sims), and a few generic player models are made then it would be a great way to make deathmatch players/enemies. It would help add variety to games to stop audiences knowing that it is "another" FPSCreator game. What do you think?

-------------------------------------
www.ColdNews.co.uk - the worlds first solo band.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2005 01:33
Modelling the characters should be pretty cut and dry, standard stuff really, the hurdle will be the animations. Every character has a standard set of animations for whatever weapon variant they are, so to effectively support everything that they do, we'd need matching animations.

Perhaps they will supply a template character mesh, like the original 3DS Max file so we could skin the bone structure onto our own meshes and adopt the exact animations. With a working animation set, it would be nice and easy to modify it to suit our characters. There's also the Darkmatter2 models, there's always the possibility of those being adopted as well. Also, there is a package that is sold here, CharacterShop, which will take a mesh and apply a predefined skeleton animation to it - maybe that could have the standard animations added. TGC are loaded with options - should be cool whatever road they take.

It is possible to define your own animation ranges, but I've never meddled that deeply in it, probably best for things like non-human enemies, maybe alien beasts that have longer idle animations (like the queen in Aliens, mostly static and then with only basic melee animations).

Van-B

It's c**p being the only coder in the village.
SkyCubes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2005 02:18
Shouldn't we be able to use tools that are already out there for this? For example, Daz Studio or Poser?

I'm not sure, just asking.
Coldnews
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2005 02:26
Both of those arent really designed for game making models...

SkyCubes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2005 05:54
They aren't? Don't those tools create 3D models and also have the ability to animate them as well?

Again, I'm far from an expert on this. It was just my understanding that both those tools could model and animate 3D characters.
Cloud of Crows Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "They aren't? Don't those tools create 3D models and also have the ability to animate them as well?"

Yes, but they tend to be extremely high poly and Daz apparently has a policy AGAINST using the software to export objects to be used in games or other software. Pictures are fine, but no object data.

They also don't directly export to .x (at least I couldn't see where they did). I've played with an older version of Poser (4.0) and the new Daz Studio. They are really scene creation/rendering for images not modeling software for objects
SkyCubes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2005 06:20
OK, I see the difference now. Thanks pogo.

So, if someone wanted to create their own "characters" in .x format, complete with animation sequences, they are limited to some of the higher-end (and consequently steep learning-curve tools) like Maya, 3D Max, Lightwave, and TrueSpace then, right?
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2005 07:11
"So, if someone wanted to create their own "characters" in .x format, complete with animation sequences, they are limited to some of the higher-end (and consequently steep learning-curve tools) like Maya, 3D Max, Lightwave, and TrueSpace then, right?"

Essentially that would be correct. There a lot of progs around that may be of some help - some maybe free and others that cost varying amounts. In all truth though if you want to create your own models and complete with an animation set for use with FPSC given that its possible at all, we all would want a program that makes doing so as efficient as possible. If you want a lot of different characters you really dont want to spend months or maybe years tweaking every movement, and every frame by hand. It could really be a long and difficult job. Kinda puts a damper on the ease of use of FPSC as a rapid development tool.

If you want to model and animate quickly you need a prog that helps with that - and unfortuneatly those are the higher end progs.

Of the higher end tools Truespace certainly and perhaps Gamespace are perhaps the lowest cost fast production tools.

If we are lucky character models supplied with FPSC may be in a standard format that if we are allowed - we may be able to open in a modelling and animating package and edit the mesh, create new skins, keep the rigging and animation set intact and thus create variations to generate new characters as Van B has already suggested. This can sometinmes work though there may be a limit to the amount of mesh distortion you might be able to achieve if you want to change the model dramatically and maintain correct movement. It depends on how the mesh is attached to the bones I guess.
Noldor
Years of Service
User Offline
If you want a good modeling tool.
Read this thread
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=46036&b=21
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2005 08:11
JTEdit is worth looking into for characters and smaller entities, DeleD seems like it would be great for level segments, it's designed primarily as a level editor you see.

Both free, check out the 3D chat area, I think there's a sticky.

Van-B

It's c**p being the only coder in the village.
Coldnews
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2005 15:57
cheers vanB, just checkin them out now.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 03:47:53
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 03:47:53