Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Angled walls in FPSC - Proof

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2005 02:38
Hi all,
Just tested this out, a simple angled wall being used as a segment, not sure if an angled door would work though.

Van-B

It's c**p being the only coder in the village.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2005 02:39
Here's one in-game...

I edited the round corner mesh and hacked a new setup file, took no time at all.

Van-B

Attachments

Login to view attachments
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2005 02:49
Thats very interesting........can you tell us how is the mesh made?
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2005 03:01
It's just a standard mesh, quite high poly because it's from a curved section, really though, it could be as simple as a box with a wall texture. Basically any mesh will work in FPSC as long as it's a sensible polycount and it's organised well, like keeping track of textures etc. I took the long way round when importing it, there's easier ways to do this I think, still haven't read through the manual . There's little notches along that corridor, that's just the corners that I put down to get the floor down, those could easily be deleted - I left them in so I could check how accurate the collision is on imported pieces.

Collision is fine on it though , camera slides along it perfectly.

Van-B

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2005 03:10
Thanks for that.

Considering this is a mesh object how is FPSC holding up with the frame rate- I presume the pic shows multiple copies of the object if not all of the wall structure being composed of them?

I am wondering how such objects would affect FPS and would be interested to know how low poly one can go on such a wall object and still mainatain effective collision. Obviously the lower the better so that we can have more such objects per level.

Just wondering - whatever, I can wait for FPSC release to find out the answer for myself - we will then live with what we have to and make the levels accordingly.

Thanks
Plazmeh
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks awsome! Now, is that an actual project you are making or is it just for the purpose of the topic? Because that looks really good.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2005 21:15
Plazmeh,
Nah, that was thrown together in a few minutes, I was very surprised at how easily it worked. You can even make a little thumbnail for your imported meshes, like your own icons or renders of the mesh. I plan to see how it handles more complex stuff, like a spiral staircase for instance, which would be very cool if they work .

Uman,
My specs are not great (1600mhz w/FX5200), but things are running at a playable rate, usually I use very high res so it's often hard to tell, but I put about 10 high poly enemies (skeletons, they're very poly hungry - Simon has done an awesome job on them though) and set the detail down to what I'd usually run a game at 800x600 and mid quality textures, and it was fine. Most of the media is designed at a decent spec PC, like people should'nt expect FPSC to run well on a low spec machine, because it'd just disapoint - Really, if your PC can run Battlefield 1942 or Call of Duty it should handle FPSC.

Van-B

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2005 23:22
Thanks for the info. Sounds good.
Avan Madisen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2005 06:35
Van B - I'd love to hear how your attempt at a spiral staircase goes!

I don't suffer from insanity:

I enjoy every minute of it!
granada
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2005 01:42
Best pic of the editor i've seen so far

dave

Windows XP Home 2002 Service Pack 1,1AMD Athlon(tm)XP 3200+ Barton 2.20 GHz ,1 GB of RAM
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 256MB DDR
http://www.granadagames.com/

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 01:36:43
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 01:36:43