Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Db pro app speed

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Has anyone got a dbpro app as fast as this? i spent a while making my game faster and its quite efficent now.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2005 03:32
Depends what it's doing

It's c**p being the only coder in the village.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2005 05:58
Depends on

• Computer Specifications
• What is going on
• What effects are being used
• If the game is more graphics or processor intensive
• If the ram is large enough to keep up with the demand
etc...
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2005 10:51 Edited at: 21st Jan 2005 10:52
tadaa!

sorry..i couldn't resist

as said above...it depends on what it's doing

"We make the worst games in the universe."

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2005 16:30
I get 400fps on a split screen demo with 100 cubes and controlling 2 spheres at once - 640fps with the same demo in single screen mode.

My PC sucks as well (1.6mhz 512mb FX5200), DBPro is getting faster.

Van-B

David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2005 16:55
800fps with blank screen.

Simple lightmapped level, 200fps here.

Get 15 new commands, all the date / time commands left out of DBPro for free!
DOWNLOAD PLUGINS HERE: http://www.davidtattersall.me.uk/ and select "DarkBasic"
The admiral
Years of Service
User Offline
Well for what yor doing you probably should be able to get quite a bit more speed but it depends on a lot whether your using full screen excluisve or fullscreen windowed can be quite different.

[href]www.vapourhost.com/~flyer[/href]
Robin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2005 18:41
What is actually the difference between the different display modes? On full screen exclusive mode the fps never seems to rise above 85, but on the other hand the graphics seem quite 'crisp' and bold. On full screen windowed my fps can go up to ~300 but the edges seem slightly blurred and everything seems slightly 'washed out'. Can anyone explain the different modes, and which one is best suited for a full game?
Thanks,
Robin

http://www.thegameszone.tk | robin@thegameszone.tk

Don't waste paper. It's not like it grows on trees.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2005 18:55
Fullscreen exclusive mode uses your monitors maximum refresh rate, so it might never go above 85, but your right, the benefit in that mode is the smoothness, you won't get the same quality in windowed mode.

I tend to mess around with display mode, as well as ensuring that there's nothing resolution dependant so it's something I deal with later, like when finished I'd compile a fullscreen exe and a windowed fullscreen exe, easy enough to test them both and decide which one stays, or even include them both if space permits.

Van-B

adr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2005 19:08
Oddly enough, I was having speed issues last night. I need to rethink and rewrite my particle system.

Quote: "DBPro is getting faster"

Not when you call texture object over 200 times a second I didn't realise that my particle system was killing the FPS so much; it ranged from 130 (good) down to 21 (baaaad). I assumed it was fade object for a couple of hours until I actually buckled down and tracked the problem. So kids, don't use texture object too much.

Sorta glad it'll be fixable tbh...

Does this smell like chloroform to you?
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2005 19:26
Adr, I know what you mean, I'm in the same boat - disabling the particle texturing has a massive impact on frame rate. I'm thinking off making a 5 plain object and texturing each bit with a different texture, like blood spatter, smoke, fire, dust - then instead of texturing I hide the extra plains and only show the relevant one. That's what I'm doing for my entity system (like the gibs are all 1 object but chopped into limbs) and it seems to be working out ok (I can expunge any gib at any location with a simple function call).

I have considered using a tiled particles set as well, so you might have 4x4 particle textures on 1 image and a plain that has the top left corner tile UV mapped onto it, then just scroll the texture to change the decal. That's damn fiddly though, I think I prefer my first idea.

Van-B

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2005 01:11
Quote: "Not when you call texture object over 200 times a second "

True, but if you just texture each particle individually for thier life-cycle; while it uses more ram you can simply swap out the textures and it's quicker to swap the texture than reload w/new Texture
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2005 01:14
for that, what I do is use a int var to determine what type of texture is applied to it, and if it doesn't match the texture I want it to be, then I apply the new texture

Yarr join LoGD and defeat your fellow coders!
Teh Go0rfmeister
Years of Service
User Offline
FPS of 126 is pitiful in comparison to the power of my second generation card

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2005 03:24
My particle engine is pretty simple, it only textures particles on creation, but there are so many that it does have an effect. I disabled texturing and everything was noticeably smoother. I'm gonna try that multi plane object idea now.

Van-B

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2005 03:37
Scratch that, it's even slower than texturing - gonna change it so it only textures the object if it has to, might improve matters.

Van-B

BiggAdd
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2005 07:51 Edited at: 22nd Jan 2005 08:09
I Get 3747 fps on a blank screen. I used to get 605, but then ran it in fullscreen exclusive mode and it increased.

And i'm not joking!!!! I couldn't resist either

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2005 08:35
Quote: "I Get 3747 fps on a blank screen. I used to get 605, but then ran it in fullscreen exclusive mode and it increased."

Bollocks. FullScreen Exclusive is capped to your Monitor Refresh rate, which in every case is 60Hz because that is what TGC have set it to for compatibility means.

To get over 60FPS in FullScreen Exclusive is I-M-P-O-S-S-I-B-L-E, i'm not saying improbably, i'm not saying unlikely, i'm saying that it is technically impossible without jerry-rigging DarkBASIC Professional in order to refresh at a higher speed. Even so the best your going to get on most current CRT is 150Hz (150 Max) or TFT 120Hz (120 Maz) it is physically impossible for DirectX to render faster than that in exclusive mode due to the way that it is designed.

So once again, Bollocks. However in Windowed / FullScreen - Windowed, that is about as impressive as hanging a spoon from your nose. Given most GeForce 59xx and Radeon 98xx should be able to easily achieve that, hell even some 96xx and 57xx should be able to do that much.
Radeon X800 / GeForce 6800, will start you off at a nice meager 11,000 FPS in Windowed 1280x1024x32 on a blank screen.. however when you start adding things is where the speed escapes DBP.

Also when you don't have the background on, the graphics card is technically working harder, becuase it has to render per pixel rather than per scene. Turn on Backdrop and you should see a more accurate blank sceen figure.
BiggAdd
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2005 08:46
I don't see how getting over 60FPS is impossible in full screen exclusive. Have u bought every single PC in the world to say this or are u guessing..... Because the evidence is staring u in the face. My moniter refresh rate is 75Hz.

I turned on the backdrop..... and its still above 60FPS

If you still don't believe me, buy an ADVENT T9202, and see for yourself!!!!!!!

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2005 09:13
Quote: "I don't see how getting over 60FPS is impossible in full screen exclusive. Have u bought every single PC in the world to say this or are u guessing..... Because the evidence is staring u in the face. My moniter refresh rate is 75Hz."

Fine, if you 'believe' your system can do that, in FullScreen Exclusive you keep believing that. Despite it being IMPOSSIBLE with'in DirectX let alone DarkBASIC Professional.
The admiral
Years of Service
User Offline
Lol you just did that in paint haha

[href]www.vapourhost.com/~flyer[/href]
BiggAdd
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2005 20:22
? I don't see how i can prove it to you that i'm actualy getting that fps.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2005 21:19
Quote: "? I don't see how i can prove it to you that i'm actualy getting that fps."

I don't see how you can prove the impossible either.
Sorry but considering even my GeForce 6800 Ultra only runs at 60FPS even when trying to over-ride VSync in the driver panel, I feel it very very very very very, etc... Unlikely that your system could possible be special and achiving the impossible.

Also your FPS would go UP not DOWN when you initilse the Backdrop
You might want to take closer notice of this next time you want to try and show your system is 'special'
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2005 03:43
Quote: "I turned on the backdrop..... and its still above 60FPS"

No it's not. Like Raven said, your game's FPS can't go above your screen's refresh rate. Yous said so yourself it's at 75Hz, so it would be impossible to go above that. The FPS you see in DBPro is how many times it's being refreshed from DirectX, but your screen is only redrawing 75 times a second.

--[GameBasic - Coming Soon]-- ^^^ banner generously designed by TheBigBabou
BiggAdd
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2005 04:16
Exactly..... But in DBPro, i still get ove 60FPS. Hence the pictures.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 08:20:05
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 08:20:05