Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Retro gaming...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2005 22:48
It's just fun to blow the dust off some of the old gaming packages that clutter the cupboards and wardrobes. Today I installed Age of Empires II - the conquerors and Jedi Academy. I've had a fun day.

I should have been trying to figure out what the heck is wrong with a class I´m working on, but what the heck. It's sunday!

I'm killing a lot of imperial clones. That always makes me happy.
In fact, to quote Clint Eastwood: "I've just about killed everything that walks, talks or crawls at one time or another." At least today.

And now, once more unto the breach...

-----
They SAID that given enough time a million monkeys with typewriters could recreate the collected works of William Shakespeare... Internet sure proved them wrong.
-----
BenDstraw
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2005 23:24
I agree. I can still get kicks from The Ultimate Doom and Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

Those old titles sure are great

¤§Ben§¤
Get Images and Models for 5 easy payments of FREE*
http://www.geocities.com/blacklab_studios
_ RealUnReal _
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2005 23:31
I too love my doom ultimate collection, it's a clasic.
Joe Cooning
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2005 04:38
I downloaded an snes emulator in my computer science class. Passed many hours (with the computer muted) playing Super Metroid and the old Final Fantasy games. Good stuff

fog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2005 06:08
I know I'm getting old when "Age of Empires II" and "Jedi Academy" are classed as retro gaming.

Avan Madisen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2005 06:35 Edited at: 24th Jan 2005 06:36
If you want retro, you should see my game collection; I've still got loads of old Mega Drive, Mega CD, Saturn and Dreamcast games, loads of them are still great fun to play:

Gunstar Heroes
Sonic (I've lost count on how many I've got)
Panzer Dragoon Saga (greatest RPG story ever written!)
Shining Force 1, CD, 2 & 3
Burning Rangers
Eternal Champions Special Edition
X-men Versus Street Fighter (the arcade perfect Saturn version)
Phantasy Star
Ecco the Dolphin (CD Edition)
Cyberball (damn that was a fun game!)

but you can't forget the Nintendo classics:

Zelda
Star Wing
Mario Kart

and don't forget some of the great old PC games:

Dialo 1 & 2
Half-life
Postal (the original)
Freespace

but if you want true retro, I've still got a dusty old BBC Micro with these classics:

Elite
Exile
Strykers Run 1 & 2
Barbarian
The Last Ninja
Galaxian
Repton (had almost as many versions as Street Fighter!)

Damn, I feel so old thinking of all these classic games!

I don't suffer from insanity:

I enjoy every minute of it!
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2005 07:57
I remember playing Barbarian on the Atari ST. I wonder if it was the same one? :o

CURRENT PROJECT: Chaos Hizzle Demo
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2005 16:35
The one I remember was a little like Mortal Combat, you could do a finishing move and chop the opponents head off - there was another Barbarian game but it sucked.

I loved Last Ninja, in fact I completed all the Ninja games, Iso puzzle solving and ninjas, what more could anyone ask!.

Van-B

It's c**p being the only coder in the village.
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2005 23:46
Quote: "I know I'm getting old when "Age of Empires II" and "Jedi Academy" are classed as retro gaming. "

lol..yeah i read that and was like..."Age of Empires II is retro??!?...man it's like one of the most modern games!"

Quote: " Jedi Academy"

wow..i consider that very new...i have games like "x-wing" (the very first one) that i consider old
(not ancient like asteroids...or very old like most of the games in aven madison's post)

"We make the worst games in the universe."

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2005 01:35
Quote: "Age of Empires II - the conquerors and Jedi Academy."

AoE II - 2001?
JK JA - 2003

In order for it to be retro, iirc it has to be *atleast* 8years old.

MicroMan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2005 02:26
Retro for me is anything that has collected AT LEAST half an inch of dust in the drawers. So there. That's an objective, immutable standard of retroness in my book. If you carbon date the dust, and apply geological stratas to it you can even pinpoint the level of retroness. The darker band in the dust is the era of AMD-burnout, which hinges on the correct timeframe, and is a good marker for finding out the retronesslevel.

-----
They SAID that given enough time a million monkeys with typewriters could recreate the collected works of William Shakespeare... Internet sure proved them wrong.
-----
Zone Chicken
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2005 04:00 Edited at: 25th Jan 2005 04:02
One of my most favorite game's is a retro game the game is called warheads se.
Dunno if anyone has heard of it or not here, the game is turn based where you are a ship in space and you land on planets. You pick a defense, then a weapon and get one shot at another player hoping that your weapon will counter or beat there defense. There are 5 defenses to pick from and you can carry 50 weapons into a game, the weapons are packs, if you buy the game you can use a editor to make your own weapons that consist of 10 warheads, each with 10 stages to them, theres different weapons for the heads like blast, explode, walk, orbit, fire. Not only picking styles for each head you can pick a patteren that the heads will fly during flight time. The game is a lot of fun i've been playing it for year's. There is a shareware vesion that is free to play but you can not make your own weapons with it. The game is online with up to 8 players in a playing field it is kinda like space chess with massive weapons.

[href]www.warheads.net[/href]

Preston C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2005 04:45
Quote: "there was another Barbarian game but it sucked."

You must be talking about the horrible remake at the remakes.org compo

http://www.remakes.org/website/comp2004/reviews.php?id=51

Intel Celeron 1.3 Ghrz | 512 MB Ram | NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 128MB
MSVC++ .Net 2003 | Wings3D | CharacterFX | Gimp v2.0
Prayne de crabug ahm rinedere be-yogt iglo kes gron
Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2005 09:21
Quote: "Today I installed Age of Empires II - the conquerors and Jedi Academy"

Tsh those aren't old, all my PCs can run them

I just installed Starcraft (I have the expansion but not installed) and Syndicate (I love that game). I own Warcraft 2, Diablo 1, Civ 2 + 3, UT, Uplink, Tiberian Sun, Pagan Ultima 8, two wierd space games I forget the names of and lots of non-retro games

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2005 01:15
Been mucking around with Bugaboo the flea for a while lately. Still a classic. 1983 BTW, so I think that counts.

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
Avan Madisen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2005 07:16 Edited at: 26th Jan 2005 07:18
Quote: "You must be talking about the horrible remake at the remakes.org compo"

No, there was a Barbarian 2, but it was an attempt to make a more adventure style game. Didn't work.

The barbarian you're thinking of sounds very much like the one I had, when you kill your opponent a little dragon like thing walks by and drags the body off, if you decapitated them the 'thing' kicks the head flying!

In my opinion every gaming system ever made has it's only ultimate classic game, here're my choices for some defunct systems:

Sega Dreamcast - Shenmue
Sega Saturn - Panzer Dragoon Saga
Sega Mega Drive - Gunstar Heroes
Sega Mega CD - Ecco the Dolphin or Eternal Champions: Challenge from the Dark Side. (can't decide)
BBC Micro - Exile, can't choose.
SNES - Zelda: Link's Awakening (I think that was the title)
Acorn Achiemdes - Elite (after playing this version, you'll never play another)

As you may have guessed, I'm a Sega fanatic!

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2005 16:10 Edited at: 26th Jan 2005 16:11
The simple fighting game Barbarian was the one with some page 3 bird on the cover (Maria Whittiker?) and Wolf from Gladiaters (erm, grrr...) if I remember rightly. The "other" Barbarian was completely different (Psygnosis game maybe?). Was more a platform game and was really annoying in that you controlled the bloke by pressing icons at the bottom of the screen. Was alright, but a total pain at times. There was a really similar (more sifi) game called Baal I think. Think it was the same people who made it.

Cheers

adr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2005 21:00
Didn't realise there were different versions of barbarian, but I can only think of the one where back and fire made you go in for a spinny head chop. never worked against the computer ....

Does this smell like chloroform to you?
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2005 01:20
Dazzag - yeah that's right - Barbarian by Palace was the head-chopping beat 'em up sort of game (Maria Whittacker indeed.. pworr, well.. back in the 80's anyway). There was also Barbarian 2 (again by Palace) I think sub-titled something like The Dungeon of Drax. More of the same.

The other Barbarian game was by Psygnosis and had lovely graphics and a pants control system where you clicked icons to control everything - which sucked majorly. They released Barbarian 2 as well (confused yet?!) which gave you joystick control but was too cartoony to be any real fun.

Baal was the same publisher (Psygnosis) but didn't feature the horrendous icon control system (thank God). There is a great article on the Psygnosis artists here:

http://www.atarimagazines.com/startv4n11/behind_the_scenes.html

Cheers,

Rich

Super Joe crack combat soldier fights a long battle against overwhelming odds.
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2005 02:44
I remember them well.... Head chop version was easy to beat by constantly rolling into their legs all the time. Get them into the corner and then hack them to pieces while they are trapped against the side. Worked 99% of the time. Chopping their head off and playing fairly was always class though And the head chop never worked against the computer *after* level 2 if I remember rightly. You could succeed in the first two levels.

Cheers

Avan Madisen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2005 06:43 Edited at: 27th Jan 2005 06:46
Anyone remember Exile and the Stryker's Run series on the BBC?

Van B - Do you remember how many Last Ninja games were there? I only remember two.

Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2005 23:23
I remember Exile (not from the BBC though) - it was a massive game. Quite boring though Stykers Run was far more fun.

There were loads of Last Ninja games - I can remember 3 of them + a Remix version (not sure if that ever got released).

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2005 23:29
Quote: " I know I'm getting old when "Age of Empires II" and "Jedi Academy" are classed as retro gaming. "

I have to agree, those are still fairly recent games. Still, when they finally do get classified as retro games, I can start reminescing about the good old days, and that will be fun

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2005 00:27
Yeah, I think Rich has it, I never completed the remix version, it was really just a mix of the levels from the first 2 games.

Last Ninja 1 was released on C64 and BBC (not the Speccy though) and was set in ancient China, you ended up in some idiots mansion and had to kill him in the end.

Last Ninja 2 was released on all major 8-bit formats and was set in modern day New York IIRC - my fave ninja game, it had this quality that we'd never seen on Spectrums before - you'd start in this little park, and it would take a good few days to figure out all the puzzles - then you end up in the city, the sewers, then factories and another big mansion - it's a classic that I'm too scared to play again, they are very difficult games. Last Ninja 2 is the real deal though - totally amazing puzzles and graphics, one of those games you'd run home from school to play. Don't bother with 3 or Remix.

Last Ninja 3 made it to the 16-bits but was really just more of the same, but some strange mystical levels that made little sense. The ninja had lost his way.

Last Ninja Remix was really just Last Ninja 2 with a few levels from Last Ninja 1. I think the entire point was to bring some levels from LN1 into LN2 for the benefit of those who'd never played LN1, and the annoyance of those that had!.

Last Ninja 4 is aparantly in development by some fans of the original, I think it has quite a devoted fan base.

Van-B

Avan Madisen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2005 07:11
Exile was an amazing game, once it had loaded in it had everything it needed. Nightmare to complete though, I think the developers can a competition going with a prize for the first person to contact them after completing it, I think it took a good few weeks at least before anyone managed it! The problem the game had was it was possible to end up in a position where it was impossible to complete it, and you had to either restart or go back to a previous save point. Exile was ground-breaking when it was released on the BBC since it used virtually every byte of ram the machine had, even chunks that were hidden in the system that they weren't supposed to be using.

I had Last Ninja 2 but could never get passed the croc in the sewers, but I was rather young when that game was released. I had a demo of LN1 on the Achimedes, it may have been the remix version, I'm not sure, but it had had some vast graphical improvements, like 8 bit colour!

Quote: "I have to agree, those are still fairly recent games. Still, when they finally do get classified as retro games, I can start reminescing about the good old days, and that will be fun"

I'd say a game can be considered retro either when it's more then 10 years old or then you can't actually buy it anymore unless it's 2nd-hand!

Rich - Did you know there was a Stryker's Run 3? I remember seeing some screen shots but it never got released as far as I know.

The games I remember playing to death back in the 80's were the Repton series and Citidel, that was a freaking nightmare of a game, never managed to get anywhere near completing it! Repton had god knows how many version, I did hear someone was trying to re-release those on mobile phones!

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2005 07:47
Quote: "I had Last Ninja 2 but could never get passed the croc in the sewers, but I was rather young when that game was released. I had a demo of LN1 on the Achimedes, it may have been the remix version, I'm not sure, but it had had some vast graphical improvements, like 8 bit colour!"

Get the bottle and the rag and set fire to them on the torch before you meet the croc, then throw the bomb at the croc .

The arch was a great little machine, I wasted many an afternoon playing Zarch (Virus) and that mad professor platform game.

Van-B

Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2005 07:51
Ahh Repton - at the Classic Gaming Expo last year they were selling the PC version which I bought for a fiver but haven't actually installed yet

I only remember the first Strykers Run - I never owened a BBC (only the sad kids did.. heh) but played it around a mates house. That and some Robin Hood style bow and arrow shooting game (might have been called Haunted Forest).

Cheers,

Rich

Avan Madisen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2005 07:03
I think I had near enough all the reptons in a package on the arch, about 8 games in all they made. Classic mind-bending puzzle game that was.

Quote: "I never owened a BBC (only the sad kids did.. heh)"

ehem, I still have a working BBC Master!

Stryker's Run was a definitive game on BBC, the second one was called Stryker's Run 2: Codename Droid, the game was hellish because of many puzzles that had only one solution that wouldn't make the game impossible to complete. The third one was more a combat based platform game with rather a lot of gore, never got finished as far as I know.

I remember the name Zarch, but I don't remember that game.

The Archimedes was the system that I over-played Lemmings on, still got it as well!

I also remember the cassette games, those things took ages to load!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 10:13:16
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 10:13:16