Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Lee Bamber Dev Diary [Shaders]

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I thought people asking about shader might find this interesting.

Quote: " I also thought it would be a smart move to make sure the shader system of FPSC can handle not just the three shaders I have designed, ensure that new shaders could be used without too much fuss and most importantly, that the lightmap data survives and is used alongside the shader effect so I can have an illumination map, a diffuse map and the lightmap data all on the same surface in the game. I think it is key that shaders are treated even as early as EA, so they can be played with during the months to come. "
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2005 20:28
Yes saw that as I read the diaries daily.

Shaders are lovely and a great idea to have so that we can make some beautiful looking games.

Personally though I dont think they are an important part of good gameplay or in the final analysis making a good game. I would like to see the time spent on getting the release stable and out through the door.

So many game engine developers spend time on adding advanced features when some of the very basic ones dont work. e.g. you cant walk or shoot straight or player or enemy collision is poor, No AI, no shadows or terrain, doors dont work or frames per second is unuseable, and many, many other important more basic elements needed either to complete a game at all and actually add something practical and useful to the make the gameplay more interesting. Thats not to mention the serious bugs that exist in many engines.

Dont get me wrong I would love to see shaders in but I would like more importantly to be able to get myself creative and productive on generating actual levels and content......Certainly cant make a game without those things.

I dont want to play with shaders for months. If you can complete a game its always possible and a good idea in any case to go back over it making improvements wherever possible and that could include the shaders before rushing to a release.

I know that a lot will look forward to shaders and may want them now, cos they are pretty...it looks like you may get them.
Coldnews
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2005 21:34
Dont worry, Every Beta Lee gives us is about 10 times better than the last. The jump from RC5 to RC6 doubled the frames per second on my computer! Lee knows that the basic engine is the most important thing, and he's told the BETA testers that the most important thing is to have a rock-solid engine and editor to use. But it looks like Lee wants to get the EA people using the shaders so they are ready for V1. But I wouldn't worry if I were you.

-------------------------------------
www.ColdNews.co.uk - the worlds first solo band.
Red Ocktober
Years of Service
User Offline
thanks for posting that bit of news from the wroklogs bp... this is indeed verrry good news...

unlike some people, i feel that this is just what the doctor ordered... no more excuses for lame, tired, last gen looking games...

there's no reason why we can't have both...

i'm glad to see that the attitude of the developers are in that direction...

shaders are a big plus to any 3D game developers... they won't make his/her game a winner if it aint already... but they will make a good game stand out from the crowd.

i hope this technology gets transferred over to DBPro as quickly as possible as well...

--Mike
Zone Chicken
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2005 10:00 Edited at: 25th Jan 2005 10:01
Quote: "Last night I posted to the forum assuring a few users that I would indeed be fixing the debugger. It struck me to look into it and find out the why. About four hours later not only had I answered the why, I had fixed it. Done."

I find that line even more interesting as finally theres some info on a dbp fix, now if only there was some info on pixel perfect collisions and transparency fix and the 2d add on pack.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 13:07:39
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 13:07:39