Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / What are benefits of Memblock?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2005 06:15
Hi all,
I don't know memblock totally.
Can you tell me what's memblock?
also I want to know what are the good and bad sides of using memblock~ Thank you very much!

cheers

AMD Duron1800+, 256 ddr ram, Gforce2 MX 32mb, 120gb, Windows 2000 advanced server. DBPro1.05. "Sorry for my english" "New to Programming"
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2005 10:41
memblocks let you access chunks(or blocks) of memory. You can create custom objects and images with memblocks, among other things.

"eureka" - Archimedes
FlydOg
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2005 07:00
Why we should use it? (Some programming book said it but no clearly explained )

AMD Duron1800+, 256 ddr ram, Gforce2 MX 32mb, 120gb, Windows 2000 advanced server. DBPro1.05. "Sorry for my english" "New to Programming"
Baggers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2005 07:36
It allows you Byte by Byte access to anything you put in there. YOu can use them to modeify sounds, images or objects on the fly in your program, however they are a hell of a job to get your head round at first.
You dont NEED to touch these really for a while (especially if you stated programming close to when you joined here) but if you want more examples theres some great material in the code base and in various places across the forum... The search button is your best friend !

For a little picture example i used memblocks to make and modify objects i used as sheets of glass, you could break chucks of glass out and they would fall to the floor still with the texture on from the main pane.
Heres a pic, though its not much to look at compared to it in motion
[href]http:/www.unseenconcept.net/Glass3.jpg[/href]
Hope i helped, if you want more detail ill happily expand the answer as im sure plenty more people will.
FlydOg
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2005 22:31
Thanks a lot for response~
before do search, some low level question:
1. why i need "Byte by Byte access to anything"? Does it make programme running fast, just more controlable or even used to accomplish something impossibel to realize in the normal way(maybe like your broken glass demo)?

2.where the memblocks exactly can be used?(maybe 3d texture, networking pockets, animation....)

thank you~

Baggers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2005 07:28
Mainly it's used to control things you just cant with the commands your given...
* for example deforming objects in real time
* With images you could modify them (eg: you could use them to ripple an image and use it as a texture)
* Im not exactly sure how people use them in networking...hopefully someone will explain this.
* Normally its not a speed boost you look fir but rather some specific effect you wish to create, often people write Dlls to do some of the things you can do with memblocks (for example someone released a load of commands for modifying models from within the program, something you would probably have to write with memblocks)
Sorry the explanation is not too brilliant, hoepfully people will expand on it.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2005 12:54
memblocks let you access data stored directly in memory. By accessing data this way, it's faster. You have access to things that you normally couldn't access, such as image data. Say you have an object textured with an image. Now you want all the orange pixels in the image to turn into blue. With memblocks, you can change those pixels in the image. If the memblock is created from the image after you texture the object with it, the changes are updated in real-time, or on-the-fly, on the object.

"eureka" - Archimedes
FlydOg
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2005 20:48
I think I should use memblocks for fast running performances, especially in real-time one. Thanks for explaination~

Not very sure, I remember, in a thread of DBP discussion, there is a thread said send memblocks through network to boost linking speed.

thinkdigital
Years of Service
User Offline
They're good for fast-running stuff, but they're very useful for multiplayer game, because you can send lots of info in big chunks.

Some people look before they leap, and others leap and look afterwards. I find it's sometimes safest if I don't leap at all.
eGeneric Works : DB Site
blanky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2005 05:18
Memblock matrices are recommended - loads faster than the built-in command set..

Avatar - white cat in a snowstorm. Look closely.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 10:23:56
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 10:23:56