Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / I've bought psx2, what's the best monitor?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2005 18:55
hi people, yesterday i've bought a worderfull small and tiny psx2, someone of you can tell me some advice on what is the best motitor to use with the psx2?? (a normal tv, a vga monitor, a csv monitor, etc)

thanks.

Free Download for a Free World
go to my www to play RAVEN, THE FLIGHT OF RAVEN, SUNDAY DRIVERS and SUNDAY PANZERS!
Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2005 19:23 Edited at: 25th Jan 2005 19:23
What's a PSX2?
Isn't that a Playstaion 2 Emulator... Which is free?

Team EOD :: Programmer/All-Round Nice Guy
Aust. Convention!
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2005 20:20
Jess don't be an ass.

CURRENT PROJECT: Chaos Hizzle Demo
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2005 20:40
Any TV with a scart socket should be fine, you can also by modulator leads to connect through the aerial socket.

Van-B

It's c**p being the only coder in the village.
adr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2005 20:52
If it helps Jessticular's case at all, I dunno what a PSX2 is either ... unless it's europaen name for a PS2....

Does this smell like chloroform to you?
Ermes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2005 20:58
yepa, ps2.

go to my www to play RAVEN, THE FLIGHT OF RAVEN, SUNDAY DRIVERS and SUNDAY PANZERS!
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2005 23:06
Probably the PSTwo, since Ermes described it as "wonderfully small".

Isn't it? Wasn't it? Marvellous!
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2005 00:19
they named it PS2-Slim in the end, so PS2-S
I've got mine hooked up to a HDTV, well I did until I realised it made no bloody difference having it on the 28" Widescreen HDTV downstairs or on my 28" Cheapy-cheapy TV in my room.

Picture quality between Scart (RGB) and RF is about as grand as a bag of chrisps. Somehow I kinda expected more from it for some reason, heh

Oh well not everything can be a GameCube, and wasn't bad for £100.
Just need to find some actual bloody online games now to make use of the built-in Ethernet. That doesn't work with my newly installed Wireless network, again unlike my GC ::sighs::

I'm still trying to figure out why I bought it. The heatstrip/sink on the front is cool. It is smaller, and quieter.. Ho hum heh

TravisP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2005 00:54
Quote: "Isn't that a Playstaion 2 Emulator... Which is free?"

Even if it was a emulator why would it be free if the title says "bought"

Note: The above I didn't say, your just crazy.

Not a ripoff of The Twilight Zone
Ermes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2005 01:29
Raven, i see you're one-in-the-know here, so can you tell me if i can use a vga monitor with the playstation2 slim??? thanks.

Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2005 09:34
Sorry, my mistake, I honestly didn't know what a PSX2 was. And with the continual onslaught of new products with shortened names like that, it could have been anything, ranging from a MiniDisk player, to a PDA

Sorry bout the misunderstanding

Jess.

Team EOD :: Programmer/All-Round Nice Guy
Aust. Convention!
Ermes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2005 21:07
? no prob at all.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2005 22:58
Well it has the exact same connections that the Playstation2 does, so your capable of using RGB / Scart / RF / DV-Out, I've not personally used DV-Out yet. Can't save I've even seen the connector for it, however it has been said it is possible to connect a Desktop Monitors (DVI) to the PS2 that way.

I've used both HDTV and Regular TVs with the PS2/PS2-S without really any difference in picture quality. I'd say it doesn't particularly matter unless you wish to play DVDs. Alot of them require something within the last 10years that is capable of 60Hz (NTSC) Input. Apart from that, the bigger the better I'd say.

There is a Digital Video LCD you can get for them though, again not used it, but I've seen it and it isn't too bad quality
Without the HDTV output resolutions though again it doesn't matter much past using it in the Car heh

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2005 23:16
I'd love a projector, I'm actually planning one for when I buy a house if the price of plasma screens hasn'nt come down a great deal (like in a years time) - projectors can go upto funny sizes, like a 40 ft screen projected onto the side of a building, or just the side of your house for watching the football during barbeques. Typically they're like old school projectors and like darkend rooms and a nice clean surface to project onto - but they would IMO give a nicer image than these big plasma's, because it's more like the screen is naturally anti-aliased.

Projectors are a lot like the new plasma screens that are coming out, not really designed as a reciever, more like a fancy monitor. I mean, it's far cheaper to import monitors and convert them into TV's than it is to simply import plasma TV's - so really a plasma screen and a monitor are doing the same thing. Not that any of this matters if you don't have the money to buy the latest hardware, everything boils down to budget:

£2000+ = Plasma screen
£1000 = Projector
£500 = Reasonable but small plasma screen
£200 = 28'' Widescreen TV (tubed)

For sound I'd grab a cheap surround kit - like £40 these days get's a 5.1 decoder and speaker rig (1x centre, 1x bass, 4x surround) that will sound far better than any built in speaker would - TV's are going this way, it might be worth investing in one regardless of your PS2 needs.

Van-B

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2005 23:22
I'd recommend people away from alot of Plasma Screens, for the simple reason they only display 256 Colours at any given moment.
It is odd but you will see some truely horribly banding when watching a TV show.

I used to have one until I swapped it with my mates TFT WideScreen. He wanted the TV that was £5,000 and I wanted to watch my shows with a full colour range heh

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2005 23:44
Yeah, things have improved recently with 10-bit displays giving 1024 colours, but it's really not good enough. That's why if you go into an electrical store selling plasma's, they only ever show bright colourful video loops, like sports, shopping channels etc - with dark scenes it looks freakin terrible.

Projectors are what I'll be going for - A 40ft screen that would fit in your glove compartment, it is like having your own movie theatre once you get rigged up - and cheaper than a plasma screen too.

Van-B

blanky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2005 01:05
JessTicular, you were thinking of PCSX2 - and it's in no state at the moment to play commercial games, anyway.

Whereas PCSX, ePSXe, etc., are purrrrrrfect* PSX (PS1) emulators...

*I like cats.

Avatar - white cat in a snowstorm. Look closely.
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2005 01:19 Edited at: 28th Jan 2005 01:21
Quote: "I'd love a projector"
Yeah, I was all up to buy one, when a few other annoying things came along, and I couldn't justify it. I was looking at a Sony HS50. You can get one for about £1500 if you look around (Unbeatable was very good at the time), and everyone reckons they are the dogs for the lower end of the market (as good as £3000 projectors they reckon). Totally puts a Panny AE700 into a cocked hat overall apparently.

Unfortuantly though it all adds up. For example the Sony is a Hi-Def model (720 lines) and it makes sense to use a DVD player with DVD upscaling. Unfortuantly they are quite new. My current setup will only allow Dolby digital when it's DVD is playing. Obviously not hi-def. And it's really worth it apparently. So a fair bit on a new DVD player with HDMI/DVI (HDMI is better apparently), even though I own like a dozen DVD players, and a new sound system to appreciate the sounds (even though my Dolby digital hifi cost a grand when I bought it). Hmmm. Look in the mags... hmmmm... So methinks best to put aside about 3k. Sod it, will live with my 36" CRT for a while methinks. Just wait until move house and bung it all on the mortgage Heh, annoyingly my setup was pretty much as good it got when I last moved house. Would have cost live 8-10k for a plasma. Arf. Just like computers!

And you can get a nice 100 inch pull down screen for about £300. More cash...

Oh, and you can get reasonable (ie. cheap and cheerful) 42" plasmas for just over a grand now. Not bad for the bedroom

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2005 02:02
Ahh, I spotted a rear projection TV the other day, £750 for 42'', it's pretty neat - as long as you have plenty shelve space for all that crap that goes with TV's.

Van-B

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 10:11:30
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 10:11:30