Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Stuck in attempt

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2005 05:42
Well it\'s me again in my attempt to make a sidescroller space shooter modified from the Tut in the 2d section. But at this point I don\'t have any idea where to go, and this post is really just so people can tell me where to go next in improving this game. The game still has bugs, (like enemy fire) But I\'m including all the source code and the media in an attachment. As I said, I don\'t need any help debugging something, I just need guidence on where to go next.

Well, I'm trying aren't I.....

When Life gives you lemons make orange juice. Then sit back and wonder how it was done.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Mason
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2005 15:26 Edited at: 26th Jan 2005 15:29
Though the game is extremely buggy, it is making good progress. Heres some things I believe you should begin working on.

~~ 1: Fix the Bugs ~~
A: Sprite Bugs: You need to fix those sprites in your program, leaving them there and not dealing with them until later will just make things harder
- Bugs I found include many sprites not existing when the player or enemy blows up. Track these down and fix them.
A: Collision Bugs: I noticed while playing that a lot of times the collision with the enemy and the player didn't work.

~~ 2: Gameplay ~~
A: Enemy AI: Try to set the AI so that they attack back. Also try to set up new AI movements so you don't feel like your playing a never ending loop of the same alien.
B: Appearance: Add some more effects, like the laser changes color as it moves for example. Also try to add some different looking enemies into the game, possibly that do different things. I personally like a game that has a lot of different levels, it gives a more arcade game feeling. Try making levels with different backgrounds, maybe your flying over mars in one of the levels.
C: Ideas/Thoughts: You could possibly add power ups that boost your weapon up. Maybe have special weapons that track down the target or destroy all the enemies on the screen. Get creative

I can see this game being a fun game. It has a good idea behind it, and is working towards a cool 2d game. Keep working on it and If you can, update me on your progress in this thread. If you need any help coding when you are stuck, I will try to help you (I'm Not to good at 2d though) Good Luck

The Game Programmer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2005 19:24
Ok then for updates.

1. Fixed that problem with deleting the sprite... for some reason I had told both the enemy and myself to delete twice Don't know how that happened.

2. And I fixed the collision between the enemy and me, so if the ships collide they explode.

More after school, thanks for the guidence.

When Life gives you lemons make orange juice. Then sit back and wonder how it was done.
The Game Programmer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2005 07:01
Unexpected problem, I put all the explosion sprites into a paint program in an order from right to left. And then used the create animated sprite command. I used play sprite and remmed out the part that was supposed to make the explosion. Now, whenever the program runs, it just closes after a second or so of black screen. I'll include the newest source code as well as the new media from paint.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Mason
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2005 10:07 Edited at: 27th Jan 2005 10:17
Ok, Im downloading right now and I'm going to see if I can find the bug. I still have the old source of your program so I will compare the two.

Edit:
I'm not sure if this is the source of the problem, but I did come across some conflicting sprites. Here's the snippet of two different sprites using the same Id#

I think this might be the problem. Try to change that. If it doesn't work, I'll keep looking.

The Game Programmer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2005 10:51 Edited at: 27th Jan 2005 11:21
Good point, but aren't animated sprites in a different memory as sprites. Well I'll try fixing that and see how stuff works out.

edit: Looking through this, I see that there's something wrong with the program, whenever I run it, windows closes it with one of those annoying errors, I know its not DBPro cause I tried an example to see if it would work, and it did. So I'm restructuring the program because 1. It was way to out of order. and 2. It wasn't working and rneeds organization before anything else happens.

Mason
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2005 15:27
Yes, it's somewhat unorganized. I've learned through Lee Bamber's examples that a very good way to clean your program is to use gosubs to setup the program in the beginning like so..
. Now whats so great about seting up your program like this is that if your having a problem with sounds for instance, you know its most likely going to be in the sound gosub. It makes debugging a lot simpiliar.

Try to set it up using that as a basis and it should help.

The Game Programmer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2005 19:22
Great!, I'll do that this morning and work on it some more after school. It should be a LOT more organized. Hopefully, it will still work.

The Game Programmer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2005 05:53
Just to report what might be a bug in DBPro, I found that even if I set the program in mostly gosubs and using the correct format that the firing position says that the sprite 1 doesn't exist even though the sprite subroutine comes before the firing position one. I fixed it by moving those things out of routine, but just to mention that.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 10:13:54
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 10:13:54