Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / System Performance

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2005 08:02
This has just come to my attention as its bugging me: Windows media player seems to be killing my system's performance. Now I know it would normally, especially as I was ripping from a CD, but it was terrible. This is a fresh format (only a few other things running like MSN, Spybot (the teatimer thing) and the rest had minimal memory and CPU usage) and the CPU went from idling at 8-12 straight to 100 . With Firefox now running it idles at 11-14 and every-so-often rises to 24ish. As XP seems to run a system idle process when the system is well idle ( ) that explains the jumps to 90, but when running WMP it's just plain ridiculous, and it was never this bad (except when it tried to download too much music info ). Can anyone offer any enlightenment to why this might be as I like WMP running in the background when I programme, but with 10 windows open (MSN, programming, WMP and probably Notepad and calculator) the lag would be unbearable...maybe I should close down some running processes...

Thanks
Neofish

Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2005 08:11
Get itunes

Something to doing?
Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2005 08:13

...no

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2005 08:28
Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2005 08:46
I had a play some time before I formatted, didn't feel as nice as WMP although I didn't get far into it because media players hated me at that point.

Does it burn CDs too Real Player mucked up the CDs when I did it but WMP doesn't

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2005 09:42
winamp rips cd's, so does music match juke box

Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2005 09:46
Burns, ripping is easy, I mean put music on the disk stupid words

blanky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2005 00:24
With WinAmp, you've got to play with different skins - I've configured the default one to be an auto-hiding bar at the top of my screen

As for ripping, AudioGrabber rules 100%. (www.audiograbber.com-us.net)

As for WMP, are you running visualisations? Some of them take up more of the CPU at once, and whenever it's showing a menu, or the playlist 'slides' on or whatever, my CPU (P4 3.2GHz) jumps to 100% too.

Avatar - white cat in a snowstorm. Look closely.
IanG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2005 01:18
i like media player as you can go into the media lib and just double click an album and it will play it, no messing around with playlists, and the way it can drop in to the taskbar

Used to be Phoenix_insane registered in september 2003 despite what the date says to the left <--
PC - amd athlon 2.0ghz, 512mb, GeForce FX 5200 128mb, 200gb, xp pro sp2
Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2005 01:38
Quote: "As for ripping, AudioGrabber rules 100%. (www.audiograbber.com-us.net)"

...although thanks for the advice does no one read my bad english?!

The last time I tried Real Player it wouldn't burn my music to a CD, while WMP does.

Quote: "i like media player as you can go into the media lib and just double click an album and it will play it"

yup me too

blanky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2005 03:24
Maybe that's not what you want, but Audiograbber still rules.

As for the CPU probs, try getting the latest vid. drivers, sound drivers, DirectX, and latest update of WMP. If you're on 56k, compromise.

Avatar - white cat in a snowstorm. Look closely.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2005 03:24
media player is a piece of crap. winamp just never worked in the past 5 years or so I've tried it. (dont know about winamp5)

I'd say iTunes, better organization and functionality than all of them. However, if you like the visuals more, I suggest Sonique.

Oh, and Real Player? Where do I even begin with Real Audio....

I've actually made my own iTunes clone in Java. The visuals are, well, just don't look at them. :-d But it's clean and organized.

"eureka" - Archimedes
Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2005 03:29
Quote: "I've actually made my own iTunes clone in Java. The visuals are, well, just don't look at them. :-d But it's clean and organized."

I'm more likely to trust that (and its probably more free)

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2005 03:39
winamp 5+ is awesome, all prior versions sucked an arse. Might be worth a second look.

Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2005 03:47
Ok I'll have a look tonight then

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 10:15:19
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 10:15:19