Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Menu help plz

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2005 10:22
how do i make a loaded image get on the screen, like a menu?

Video games…they can take you places unreachable, impossible, unfeasible. They put you in the book...they put you in the movie...they put you in a world, a world that before could only be imagined.
Ric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2005 10:57
load image
paste image

or,

load image
make object plain
texture object

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2005 11:09
i tried paste image but it didnt work ,

Video games…they can take you places unreachable, impossible, unfeasible. They put you in the book...they put you in the movie...they put you in a world, a world that before could only be imagined.
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2005 11:34
actually i still have a problem, my game is 3d, i want to load the menu first then after you click play it goes into the game. how can i do this, when i try doing a seperate gosub routine for the menu, then having you have to hit spacebar to continue, it goes to the loading screen, then when u hit enter it just goes into the game, it never shows the menu

hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2005 12:04
I found what works best for the menu of a 3d game is textured plains. If you're using DBP, you can use the Pick Object commands to determine which menu item the mouse is over. If it's DBC you're using, it's a little more tricky.

You need a separate loop for your menu. When your game loads up, it should start with your menu loop. Then when you click on "play" it loads the items you need for the game and enters the main game loop. So here's the basic layout.

Hope this helps.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2005 12:10
thanks, but whats a textured plain?

hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2005 12:55
Quote: " thanks, but whats a textured plain?"

It's basically a 2d 3d object. Think of it like a paper, and the texture is an image you can put on the paper. You can rotate a plain, scale it and all that stuff just like with any other 3d object. If you're using DBP, using textured plains for your menu isn't very hard. However, if it's DBC you're using, you'd best stick with something simple like using arrow keys to select your menu items.

Mason
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2005 13:36
Here, I made a tutorial for you. I hope this helps. Its uploaded to Game Creators so click the download button below.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2005 10:42
the download doesnt work , and did u bug it cause it keeps coming up randomly and saying the file is corrupted

Mason
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2005 10:46
Well the download and extraction worked fine for me. But here, try this one.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2005 11:36
got it thanks , ill tell u how it goes trying to impliment into my program

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2005 12:08
ok, well it kinda worked. I put it in my game with replacing the statement about exit prompt "you have pressed the about button" and the end statement with gosub _play_game, which goes through the entire program. Well it goes through this:

and displays the word "loading" (which appears above the menu even after i add the command delete image before the gosub, it stays there) then it doesnt ever go into the game just keeps saying loading until u press esc. any ideas why?

Mason
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2005 15:15 Edited at: 27th Jan 2005 15:19
Hmmm, Do you think you could send me your program to my email, its hard to help without the whole project. I've done a lot with menu's so I should be able to pull it off.

Edit:
Or actually, just send me the source code without the media, I should be able to see the problem.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2005 06:44
ok, ill send it to u through email, but its my best project that i dont want to share with anyone, so as long as u promise not to share it with anyone or anything about it, i can give it to u

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2005 08:01
k, sent my source code to u Odysseus

Mason
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2005 08:03
Ok, don't worry, I'll see if I can figure this out. I will Post back later tonight.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2005 08:06
k, thanks

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2005 22:34
u got it figured out yet? , if u do u can just post here saying u emailed me, but plz dont post the corrected code on here . if not then thats ok.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2005 07:22
u there odysseus?

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2005 13:04
did u forget about me?

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2005 03:45
k, well i guess that wont work out, will anyone else help?

Frozen Flame
Years of Service
User Offline
Ill help, i just finished my menu for my game. Heres a picture of mine

i didnt use a plain. i had to resize my background to get it to fit right but i believe it all worked out great
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2005 01:43
cool, thanks, ill ask u for some help maybe tomorrow or on the weekend, im just now recovering from the flu

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2005 10:34
ok, u know the problem if u just read above , so ill just email u and can u plz try to get a menu working, i cant get it to work. Like i said to Odysseus just dont share it with anyone

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2005 11:09
actually thanks F5OZ3N but i just heard back from odysseus and hes gonna help me, ill ask u if i have any more troubles that he cant figure out about this menu

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 5th Feb 2005 08:17
@Gil Galvanti

I've managed to get some menus working - but before that I kept getting problems similar to those you've described. Some things to check are:

1. Have you used sync in the right places?

2. Have you cleared the old screen bitmap before printing new text? (If you've used paste image then you probably need to clear the screen - clearing the image won't do this.)

3. Have you checked that the current bitmap is bitmap 0 (i.e. the screen) assuming that's where the problem lies? You may have changed the current bitmap without realising if you've used commands like load bitmap or create bitmap.
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2005 08:39
ok, thanks ill try sync, and cls

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2005 08:49
yes!!! i got it i just needed to use cls instead of deleting the image

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2005 09:15
ok, i fixed that but is there a way to delete just text without deleting the menu, so when i print the mouse positions they dont print on top of eachother

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 11:31:11
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 11:31:11