Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Star fields - where do i start ?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I wish to create a starfield which move in acordence to a players movement ( ie stars move towards the player when moving forward, move to the right of the screen when the player turns left ) but i have no idea where to start - plz help
Dodo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2005 21:06 Edited at: 26th Jan 2005 21:06
if its 3D then it would be a good idea to use something called a skysphere. What this is is a large sphere that is textured to represent the sky that the player is in. In your case you would need a star texture. In order to set this up in DB, you could import a premade model, or you could make it inside DB, like this:

If you are using 2D then you should check out these tutorials(No. 8 & 9): http://developer.thegamecreators.com/?f=dbpro_tutorials

Part of solving the problem is actually noticing that the problem is there in the first place

Ric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2005 11:18
Check the code snippets area. There are some starfield codes there somewhere.

Clueless
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2005 09:06 Edited at: 28th Jan 2005 09:07
I like starboxes as opposed to starspheres. Seems like I get less distortion of the textures with a box.

And yes, that goes against conventional wisdom of the skysphere vs. skybox, which I can't argue with, but I think stars are different...

In my experience, the "point source" stars in the texture file are extremely vulnerable to any kind of distortion introduced by texturing them onto any object other than a flat plane. If I make 6 star texture bitmaps and avoid any stars right at the edges, and map one image onto each face of a cube, then move the cube (but not rotate!) it along with the camera as you'd do with a classic skybox, I don't get any distortion of the stars at all.

There are probably many answers to that, maybe most notably Van B's program that takes a DBP-created scene and renders a ready-made image for texturing a sphere. The main reason I've stuck with "starboxes" so far is that I've been able to make them distortion-free in Bryce and Adobe/Flaming Pear, and I'm as lazy and set in my ways as they come!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 10:16:28
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 10:16:28