Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Violent stick-figure drawings put kids in cuffs

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2005 15:53
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6870265/?GT1=6065

A 9 and 10 year old? I'm pretty sure they just really hated the kid and wasn't really going to kill him or anything. Though I could be wrong.

Mx5 kris
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "The 9- and 10-year-old boys were arrested Monday and charged with making a written threat to kill or harm another person. They were also suspended from school."
lol.the end of the world! they are going to jail, but more importantly being SUSPENDED

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2005 17:38
God, can't a kid have a laugh these days - If I got arrested for every sick drawing I did as a kid, I'd be still in jail, how can anyone take a stick figure drawing seriously, the whole point of stick figures is to show OTT violence!.

Poor kids.

Van-B

It's c**p being the only coder in the village.
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2005 17:47
far out americans are retarded.

Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2005 17:53
Agreed. Only in America

Does Australia or UK need any good industrial maintenance technicians?

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2005 18:26
probably,

Gir
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2005 19:07
Oh dear, the world gone mad again.

I'm makin' a cake...
Foxy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2005 19:51
That, my friends, is sad. To kids stick figures are just a way of expressing emotions or wasting class time, nothing too serious. The modern world is spiralling down into an eternal void of destruction and will eventually collapse on itself. Whatever happened to "the innocence of kids"?

If I were you and you were me, then you'd be yourself 'cos you are me and I am you.
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2005 20:24
oprah, thats what happened, too many mothers watch oprah and are like this is how to raise kids and be a good parent etc, and they screw it up. set fire to oprah and make soap from her fat. btu i guess saying that is a written threat and cops will come handcuff me, bad thing is im over 18 so i will go to jail

Damokles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2005 20:39 Edited at: 27th Jan 2005 20:39
Well, then you here is the story of the german Mother that slapped her child on the face and got sued for it :
http://www.stiftung-warentest.de/online/kinder_familie/meldung/1234791.html

- Mind the gap -
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2005 20:59
Good!

Slapping on the face is too dangerous - especially women slapping kids because they have nails, but heads jerk back and hit edges, eyes are very sensitive, it's very easy to do real injury from a simple slap. I don't think it's too much to ask parents to smack butts, never faces.

I hate when parents smack there kids on supermarkets etc, it's so humiliating - I haven't smacked my son since he was about 4 (he's 8 yo now) and trying to drink washing up liquid, it's the worst feeling in the world to smack your kid, even on the butt.

Van-B

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2005 21:13
clip o'er teh ear hole is always adequate, but hey they're german, they're used to rough love

adr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2005 21:14 Edited at: 27th Jan 2005 21:16
VanB > I'm not quite at the kids stage yet (a mere 23 years old, but my girlfriend is surprisingly organised and forward planning... ) but my old boss once said something similar....

You can't reason with a child, and it feels terrible when you're reduced to "teaching by violence". I also assume you can't just crumble and apologise to the child you're trying to admonish. So even though you feel like crap inside, you've gotta keep a hard exterior. Brutal.

I despise watching programs like "little angels" (BBC program where a child-psychologist teaches parents how to deal with their bratty children in a non-violent way, with excellent results). I have no idea how to cope with children and I thank god that I can play a role in postponing their introduction into my life

Does this smell like chloroform to you?
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2005 22:42
Yeah, I've seen that program - it's simply depressing, because you always feel a bit sorry for the kids that are in this state, the parents on that program seem to all have some sort of disorder. I mean, how many times did our folks send us to our rooms as kids, it was like the standard punishment besides a smacked butt - it does the trick though. The problem is that kids rooms nowadays have too much to keep them occupied and most kids just don't mind being sent to their room. I think it's a bit like when wives punish their husbands by making them sleep on the sofa - I love sleeping on the sofa, it's like camping except with all your luxuries (well most of them). I was 21 when my son was born, I have no idea how these youngsters (like 14/15) cope with children at that age - but if you think about it, by the time their kids are the same age, they'll still be in their late 20's! - not to be sniffed at.

Van-B

Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2005 23:13
:o Dear lord... What is america coming to. violent stick drawings are a part of life, just like apple pie and strawberries.. And trout.. *sigh*

I think I'll move to the UK

"
"Timesoft: Your wife is death. HOW?!! No idea. But it is murder! REVENGE!"
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2005 23:25 Edited at: 27th Jan 2005 23:26
Quote: " Good!"

Okay, I can understand disagreeing with violent treatment of kids, but you honestly think it's okay to sue parents for it ? I don't think violence teaches either, but unless there is a case of abuse going on it's the parents' business.

On the stick figures, a felony is excessive, but they should've been talked to for that... I don't have anything against violent stick figure artwork, but don't you guys think there's something rather wrong with two kids doing something like that about another classmate? Sure as hell wasn't a part of my or anyone else I knew's childhood

And... can we stop with the 'only in America' comments please, because ridiculous court rulings and strange laws are a global problem.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2005 23:46
Come on mouse, you never drew a stick man cartoon? - I mean we're talking about a stick man cartoon where 2 stick men are stabbing another stick man - people have posted far more violent moving animations of stick men than that.

I believe that unless it's intended for someone else, any drawing or writing that anyone does is their own business, regardless of age. Simply because Hollywood has decided that all serial killers keep scrap books and draw nasty pictures, anyone who get's the red out is a potential murderer.

I know that slapped face case was a bit severe, but it's probably stopped countless parents doing the same, which if anything is a good thing.

Van-B

Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2005 23:55
Case in point: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=40572&b=2

I would post some of Ilay's (sp?) animations here, but that's what caused that thread to be locked

"
"Timesoft: Your wife is death. HOW?!! No idea. But it is murder! REVENGE!"
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2005 00:27
Quote: "Come on mouse, you never drew a stick man cartoon? - I mean we're talking about a stick man cartoon where 2 stick men are stabbing another stick man - people have posted far more violent moving animations of stick men than that."

The point isn't the violence, the point is that it's about another kid. I watched and drew fairly violent things about that age and they never disturbed me (and I never disturbed anyone) with it, but it would have been an entirely different matter if it had been about other people, real people, especially kids my age.

Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2005 01:58
Quote: "The problem is that kids rooms nowadays have too much to keep them occupied and most kids just don't mind being sent to their room"

I get sent out of my room

Quote: "but you honestly think it's okay to sue parents for it?"

sue? no. educate them to the dangers and better ways of punishment? yes

Quote: "I would post some of Ilay's (sp?) animations here, but that's what caused that thread to be locked"

The requirement was a link and a violence warning.

I believe there s nothing wrong with drawing violent stickmen, but if the kids gave the drawings to the boy, acting as a thread, it would be a different matter. From what I have read they were just passing time or being casual about it. I'm sure almost everyone else here has said "I'm going to kill him/her" at one point in you life. Did you get arrested for it? Nope, that's because you didn't mean it (hurt != kill ).

There's my 2p (which I want back by the way)
Neofish

Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2005 02:08
I'm with Mouse on this one and not just because he gives me ice cream cones to lick his toes. I can see a suspension, but arresting them, that's paranoia.

Quote: "I'm sure almost everyone else here has said "I'm going to kill him/her""

I don't think I ever have. Now, I have said "I'm going to kill you" in a dark raspy voice TO the person, but I've never told someone else I was going to kill another. That's just plain selfish and unfair to the person you want to kill.

I am Snappy, the little crocodile
Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2005 02:10
Well Jimmy you're not normal but I mean you say something but don't mean it...

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2005 03:20
I remember in 5th grade my friend and I drawing stick figures killing each other. The teacher saw it and kicked us out in the hall until class was over.

"eureka" - Archimedes
TKF15H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2005 03:37
I remember when I was 7 years old the kid to my left stabbed the forehead of the kid to his left with a sharp pencil. There was blood everywhere, and the stabber seemed to be quite satisfied with his good deed.

AphoticVM status: 80% AphoticBasic status: 10%
SageTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2005 03:46

1--#### * * * *
1 #
/ \

o no! he's shooting someone! i have to go to jail for this violence!

Sage Tech Manager
IanG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2005 05:41
american law is weird i mean its a picture for crud sake, its not worth wasting police time over, maybe they should have been sent to the head but definetly not the cops

Used to be Phoenix_insane registered in september 2003 despite what the date says to the left <--
PC - amd athlon 2.0ghz, 512mb, GeForce FX 5200 128mb, 200gb, xp pro sp2
DarkSin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2005 05:54
Err O.K. I usually keep my mouth shut because I don't like talking on topics on different countries policies or such, but will people please stop acting as if AMERICA is the only one like this!? For crying out loud, look at allot of the cases in the UK or such, the problem is everywhere. I know just because someone says something bad about America isn't bad (infact I myself sometimes say bad stuff about my country), but it seems like some people get too carried away sometimes and join in on the band wagon of "hate America, its popular!".

Oh and yea, I agree with mouse.

Major Payn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2005 06:06
What is wrong with the world today, people are so stupid, I mean come on, we try and overlook the fact that the human race is the most un-humane creature on the face of the earth, we are barbaric, crude, and violent by nature, we only hide our primal urges under a vail of "laws" and "rules", although necessary, they do go to far, as in this case.

Guns arn't the problem, people are the problem, shoot all the people and guns arn't a problem anymore.
DarkSin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2005 06:17
@digitalmodr
*Sigh* I should probably keep my mouth shut but I just cant anymore, if George W is the reason they hate us (and its not entirly, just one more reason, most countries hated us FAR before George W.) then I say go ahead and hate us. And yes I am proud to be in America.

TKF15H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2005 06:26
Quote: "people please stop acting as if AMERICA is the only one like this!? "

Well, I've never heard of anything close to this elsewhere. Care to give an example?

AphoticVM status: 80% AphoticBasic status: 10%
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2005 06:29
Quote: "we only hide our primal urges under a vail of "laws" and "rules""

I'm not even going to start on that one.

It looks like you forgot to hide your primal ignorance under a 'vail' of proper English however

Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2005 06:31
I think he's trying to reference to Lord of the Flies and doing it wrong

Indian Homie G
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2005 06:43
Only in stupid ass america...

wow

AMD Athlon XP 3000+, S3 Deltachrome s8, 512 PC3200 RAM, 160 GB HD
Sol462
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2005 07:09
digitalmodr has a great point, at least in my opinion. a lot of us americans go on and on about our 'freedoms' when they really dont have any idea of what they're talking about; they just want to look like good people. but what some dont realize is that other countries have the same freedoms as we do, if not, more (gay marraige comes to mind here). maybe its the conservatists, they sure have been making things hard for some people. religion is a big point here-bush keeps talking about god and saying he is going to war 'in the name of God' when america is a religious-independent country (kind of one-sided). christian radicals (no offense at all going to christians, just the majority are christians) like that drag me away from my christian beliefs.
to sum up, as said by a friend of mine in my english class: "America, where you have the freedom to do whatever you want, except what you really want to do." sorry for the looong post.

coffee + monkeys + creativity = games
Operation Pineapple - Multiplayer FPS WIP
Lord Ozzum
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2005 07:27
Quote: "I believe there s nothing wrong with drawing violent stickmen, but if the kids gave the drawings to the boy, acting as a thread, it would be a different matter. From what I have read they were just passing time or being casual about it. I'm sure almost everyone else here has said "I'm going to kill him/her" at one point in you life. Did you get arrested for it? Nope, that's because you didn't mean it (hurt != kill)."

I got suspended because these two people were talking about what's gonna happen when they get older, and I just said you'll die. I didn't think of it as a threat, but I got suspended for it.

"I don’t want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it by not dying."
---Woody Allen
"I Wanna Rock and roll all night, and party everyday!" --Kiss
Major Payn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2005 07:35
Quote: "I'm not even going to start on that one.

It looks like you forgot to hide your primal ignorance under a 'vail' of proper English however
"

meh, open your eyes, and realize that the human race is still very much a barbaric species, we kill each other, we wage war on each other, and look at the mass genocide throughout the ages, humans are violent, there is no getting around that.

And don't make fun of my grammer and spelling, I am a 16 year old that frankly doesn't give a damn whether or not my Forum post turns out to have words spelled wrong, or punctuation errors, I aint tryin to write the constitution here.

Guns arn't the problem, people are the problem, shoot all the people and guns arn't a problem anymore.
code spinneker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2005 08:36
You now I have to agree that those kids getting in trouble for stick men is stupid, go watch "madness interactive" or any of the "Stick death" movies. For the thing about george bush, hes an idiot and i cant believe you guys voted him in AGAIN! Bush will never stop hes an idiot who wants money,its all about oil and money. He probably will invade iran next than a couple other countries. Next move for bush, introducing a movement that lets him be president for another 4+ years or making himself a Dicatator!
@ lord huzzum: thats a stupid reason to get suspended, you just told them the truth! they are going to Die eventually! laughing maniaclly (i did not spell that right) in my bed watching the news i realize how screwed up the world is!
Gir
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2005 08:42
I think America has a lot to answer for, I mean FREEDOM FRIES!?!?! Come on! That has to be the lamest and most annoying name ever, sums up corperate America perfectly

I'm makin' a cake...
Sol462
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2005 08:55
i hate to think of the next election. if bush somehow gets relected again, or his brother wins, im probably getting a draft for my 18th birthday.

Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2005 09:05
Quote: "if bush somehow gets relected again"

Yes that's possible...2 terms max ya know...although his bro could

Sol462
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2005 09:49
oops, sorry i forgot to put the somehow in bold. if he can get billions for a war and get elected twice, i wouldnt be surprised if somehow a unicorn with the republican logo comes in and changes the rules dohickie thing.

MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2005 10:15
Yes, I'm glad Hawkeye at least remembers the violent stick figures we had at this forum. I found them particularly disturbing, but not only because I saw parts of stick figures flying everywhere. The fact that a kid took the time to think about how he wanted to kill the other stick figure is disturbing.

Kids 8 and 9 should be outside chasing each other around playing tag, not expressing violent images.

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
(Formerly known as Yellow)
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2005 10:18 Edited at: 28th Jan 2005 10:22
Fact police here with a big wet slap of reality

Quote: "We had a huge attack on America which research shows could have been prevented if information collected had been used properly."

Incorrect.

The most definitive memo ever recieved on the topic of a terrorist attack on American soil from bin Ladin was this one.

Quote: "

We have not been able to corroborate some of the more sensational threat reporting, such as that from a [deleted text] service in 1998 saying that Bin Laden wanted to hijack a U.S. aircraft to gain the release of "Blind Shaykh" ‘Umar’ Abd aI-Rahman and other U.S.-held extremists.

Nevertheless, FBI information since that time indicates patterns of suspicious activity in this country consistent with preparations for hijackings or other types of attacks, including recent surveillance of federal buildings in New York."

Others were even more vague. There was never enough information to predict 9/11 specifically or prevent it.

Quote: "Our country was put into a search in Afghanistan where nothing was accomplished."

The UN primarily organized those searches.

Quote: "Finally some meaning to our cause:
We were closing in to the terrorist known as "Osama Bin Laden". We had knew his location, he was trapped. But wait! Bush had a brilliant idea, lets hire some other terroists to kill Bin Laden."

You were obviously thinking everything Kerry said must have been correct in the debate . Facts are, we never knew he was there, we only suspected it; the fact that he was not found implies the heavy defenses in the mountains were merely a diversion. He was never trapped. And we did not hire other terrorists to kill him; we hired local law enforcement to aphrehend him.

Quote: "They were hired. The Majority of our troops were taken out and sent to Iraq, a country that was of no harm to us."

There was some evidence of WMD production in Iraq. Even the skeptics on the UN council believed there was more going on with Saddam's nuclear program than we actually unearthed, and seeing as Saddam wanted everyone to believe he had a million nukes in his back yard, it wasn't very easy to tell.

Quote: "But we had to invade them anyone because the leader was..."Bad"."

Read this and tell me if you still think his being "bad" is such a joke.

Quote: "We have been projected to be in war with Iraq for a minimum of 2-4 more years. Now when we finally know whats going on...Bush's people come out and say "Iran" is now a threat."

bin Laden is in Iran. You're hopping from one point to another here-- first you say we should have gone after him into Iran, now you critise US intelligence for informing the country that he is there and a threat.

Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2005 10:27
DEBATE TIME! DEBATE TIME!
Tralalala

<Mouse> lag, d'you like "real" RPGs? : <drac_work> ... : <drac_work> isnt that an oxymoron : * Mouse slaps drac_work :
<Mouse> don't contradict me bitch
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2005 10:58
When I was in second grade they were making us do creative writing. I wrote a science fiction story with plenty of descriptions of gore, dismemberment, etc.
All that happened was that after the teacher read it she phoned my folks and we had a long talk after dinner .

Who the hell arrests 10 year olds?

Crazy Donut Productions, Current Project: Project Starbuks
Sony stole our name!
Newbie Brogo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2005 11:03 Edited at: 28th Jan 2005 11:03
Heck, the school administration doesn't hear anything that goes on around and they think they're so cool.

They're all like "We cool ya, I know the ropes, hey kid, stay safe :wink: I'm so cool, cause I'm like, the administration..."

and we're all like "*&#^#^)*&@(*#^&(*^T Oh Snap *&#*&^$*&^%@"

and they're all like "Heh heh, we know everything, cause we're cool"

so many death threats in our school.... then again, half the people asked for it...

--From your favorite Cat Overlord
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2005 11:09 Edited at: 28th Jan 2005 11:09
Quote: "You're only thinking about the documents released to the public. But if you have any knowledge in the workings of the US government you will know that many times it can be far from the truth. Those are mostly statements given when asked by investigators. "

These are statements only released under the order of the 9/11 commision.

Quote: "The American public is actually fooled by this and somehow just refuses to take into consideration that what the public is allowed to see does not detail exactly what goes on."

It's hardly foolish to take realism over conjecture, fact over fantasy. If we want to base our decisions on what we think the government might be lying to us about, might as well whip out the tinfoil hats.

Quote: "p.s. I know more about some of this information that you may think..."

Sorry, but allusions that you have inside information on the workings of US intelligence programs really doesn't impress me. I know how their security works and I know it works well . No offense.

DarkSin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2005 11:10 Edited at: 28th Jan 2005 11:24
So let me get this straight, we are idiots because we elected George W again, and you guyz are pissed because we expressed for a short time our extreme dislike to the French.

Well on the case of us being idiots for re-electing George W., I shutter to imagine how far better off we would of been with say Kerry. Of course thats my opionon, and evidently most of Americas also.

Ok lay of the freaking Freedom fries already, everyone should know by now allot of Americans see the French as no good. Why? Shouldnt have to explain, probably been said a bazillion times. Although I gotta give in that its wrong to consider a person stupid just because many of their fellow country men have been. But common people, its not like we ar still doin it, we just all rallied together under the fact we didnt like the way the french were acting, and how did we retaliate? By re-naming our fries for a short amount of time (BE HAPPY THATS ALL WE DID).

*Sorry about that mouse, sorrta went to much off topic, this is last rant. ALso fixed the whole other issue just to make sure it stops there*

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2005 11:18
Let's try to keep the gay marriage debate out of this thread please. The basis of the disagreement is a philisohpical issue that's rather difficult to argue on, and it tends to get nasty even faster than politics.

Sol462
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2005 11:21 Edited at: 28th Jan 2005 11:32
*puts on tinfoil hat*
sorry, i think i was the first to mention the gay marraige issue. i admit my error. anyway...

despite the funny image of a fonzie-looking guy with shades that newbie brogo put into my head and keeps making me laugh, he has a point..im guessing. the administration at my school loves its rules. for example, just the other day i walked into my tech ed. class and there was the freshman principle sitting in my teacher's desk. she then beckoned me over and complained that my hair was just below my earlobes and touching my collar and that my undershirt was not white (it was orange). now, a straight-A student has to stay after school with a bunch of 'tards, not to mention getting a haircut. seriously, im trying to figure out the purpose of these rules. my school has a rumored gun hidden on campous and a drug problem, why not spend valuable time going after them? its not like im going colombine here.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 10:21:06
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 10:21:06