Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / TGC Email Based get hacked or scanned for emails?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2005 06:28 Edited at: 28th Jan 2005 06:47
Hello:

I just got the funniest email:

Subject: Customer Notification : Fraud Alert
Date: Thu, January 27, 2005 2:19 pm
To: darkbasicforum@cellbloc.com
Priority: Normal
Options: View Full Header | View Printable Version

As you can see, it's addressed to "darkbasicforum@cellbloc.com" which is the email account I set up JUST for TGC Forums.

Well, as you can see, this "bank" just sent me an email telling me that my ATM card was used fraudently.

Obviously this is fake, can someone in TGC check to see if someone is ripping email addresses out of the forum please?

Thanks!

[EDIT]
Plesae note this is a scam. See the lines:
<p><a
onMouseOver="window.status='http://internetbanking.suntrust.com/ASP_Files/Online_Banking_Update.asp';return

true;"
href="http://210.0.199.74/usage/ib2/CheckSession.php?54b41a82dfd8fe23460c460c7354abc7">https://accounts2.keybank.com/ib2/Controller?requester=signon</a></p>

They are updating the "Status" bar of your web browser for you to "think" it is going to SunTrust, but it is actually going to this IP 210.0.199.74.

I have already forward it to the US FBI department (it's not TGC fault) Hopefully no one will fall for it.

This is the exact reason I have over 1100+ email accounts. Everytime I join a forum, bank, etc I create a email name for that company, so when spam happens, I know where it started. I do not for one second think that TGC sold email addresses, not at all.

-This...is my boomstick!
Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2005 06:30
Scanned for emails. All the time. All fora get it. Not possible to stop it without making the emails spam proof or not having a forum.

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2005 06:44
It is probably just a script scanning results from Google or something like that. If you look at the HTML code for this page, you'll see your email address (for the Email contact link below each of your posts)

BlueGUI Windows Plugin
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2005 06:46
I used to get spam addressed to my Apollo email account before I modified it.

I did ask Rich if he could put in a bit that changed the email button to read "email [at] domain.com" instead of @, but it was rejected.

Get 15 new commands, all the date / time commands left out of DBPro for free!
DOWNLOAD PLUGINS HERE: http://www.davidtattersall.me.uk/ and select "DarkBasic"
Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2005 06:46 Edited at: 28th Jan 2005 06:53
Well, I hope no one falls for it.

I wrote a program once that denyed the IP from programs that were "scanning" for emails once long time ago. Wonder if TGC wants it. Basically it tracked the IP and where it was going, and seeing if it was following links, if it followed x links, it was flagged for Deny.

-This...is my boomstick!
1tg46
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2005 06:51
A bit weird

Click sig for DarkBASIC Network IDE.
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2005 07:08
Ever heard of spiders ? Your email is in simple text in your profile, it's that easy to pick up. Easier if someone posts it in a thread.

Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2005 07:13
Quote: "I wrote a program once that denyed the IP from programs that were "scanning" for emails once long time ago."

It's not that simple - most email harvesting software will simply request a web page and once it has the HTML it'll parse it for email addresses. It's impossible to actually tell it's a mail bot unless it tells you as much as a browser type (which none usually will).

Basically - you have your email address on every page of this forum you've ever posted in. It was inevitable it got harvested sooner or later. Simply changing it to say [at] instead of @ won't fool it.

Cheers,

Rich

Super Joe crack combat soldier fights a long battle against overwhelming odds.
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2005 09:27
Quote: "most email harvesting software will simply request a web page and once it has the HTML it'll parse it for email addresses"

This is quite an easy program you could whip up in VB real quick. I remember I was contracted to make one for a company back in the days when spam wasn't even common. The company had a list of every single .ca domain name, and the software was made to visit each one, one-at-a-time, and record every single email address. After it was finished it would remove duplicates and outputted the results into an Excel spreadsheet.

Before the final sign-off, I was made aware that this would be used to send spam email, which was potentially illegal in some countries, so I didn't send it off to the client. Talk about naive :p

--[GameBasic - Coming Soon]-- ^^^ banner generously designed by TheBigBabou
Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2005 09:32
Quote: "Talk about naive :p"

Can't even right *shakes head*

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2005 17:30
A thought...you could link the email button to a second page that actually showed the address. Make the second page accessible only when signed in.

Or have I overlooked something obvious?

BatVink
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2005 18:01
Quote: "This is the exact reason I have over 1100+ email accounts."

Seems quite excessive, I hope you don't check them all...

"Computers are useless, they can only give you answers."
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2005 18:15
You can also generate email address using a simple javascript function so it's visible in the browser as normal but viewing source code does not reveal it. I do it on all my clients websites and it works well.

Boo!
Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2005 23:55
Quote: "Seems quite excessive, I hope you don't check them all... "

What happens is they are all forward to 1 email addresss. Now lets say I start to get a lot of spam from "darkbasicforum", then I delete that account and change the email address on the forum.

That simple.

-This...is my boomstick!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 10:20:34
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 10:20:34