Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Learning to create decent objects

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2005 05:43
Since i started using darkbasic, my coding has... sucked less. i'm starting to learn stuff, but one thing keeps me behind... im trying to make a simple game, so as to learn some and yet still be able to FINISH the thing, but i'm not sure how to go about making 3d objects. I got wings3d(a 3d object modeling prog), and it seems to help me make decent shapes, but i dont know how to... export to .X format i guess? I don't know if Wings3d has this feature, but i need it to load the object shape into darkbasic as a mesh right? If there's some easier way or better freeware modeler out there please let me know...

Hilarious signature to be released 02-07-04
Foxy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2005 10:03
Get hold of gamespace light, it's free and good for making objects for beginners. The only problem with it is that you can't exceed 650 polygons in a model and if you texture it in GSLight it will be watermarked.

As for wings 3d, I don't have that but, search through the file formats in the save dialog box, otherwise there should be an export feature in the File drop down menu.

The best way to learn 3d modelling, I found, was to start with the primatives and fiddle around with any of the tools in the program. If you ever do something in the program you can't seem to undo, you can always uninstall the software and re-install it again.

If you email me, I could probably make some simple models for you.

Anyway, good luck.

If I were you and you were me, then you'd be yourself 'cos you are me and I am you.
Darth Randal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2005 04:53
Thanks for the tip man, gamespace works A-ok. i can use wings a little easier, but i can bounce models back and forth between the two. And if you really wanted to help me with some models, i'm workin on a game that requires alot of planes, if you could whip up a basic plane model i can add on to, i'd be much obliged. Need any code?

Hilarious signature to be released 02-07-04
Foxy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2005 10:04
I'm right for code. I'll see what I can do with a plane model, it might take me a day or two though (school starts again tomorrow *sigh*).

I'll post when it's done.

If I were you and you were me, then you'd be yourself 'cos you are me and I am you.
Foxy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2005 17:49
Just thought I'd post a bit of an update: I'm about half way through the plane. Like I said,school started again and we've been looking after my neice so things aren't at their most productive.

Cheers for now.

Guyon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2005 20:01
Modeling is an art and takes time to lean. There is no shortcuts. Although, it will take you MUCH longer if you do a little, wait a week or two and try again. Get a few tutorials and work on them for 2-4 months 4-5 days a week for an hour each setting, and you will gain the skill you need.

For a beginner I highly recommend you buy Milkshape. It is like only $25. There are many tutorial and it's exports are untouchable.

Best of luck!
Darth Randal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2005 00:03
yeah modeling is tough... if you take some time with this plane model, it's no problem. i mean I can't model a very good plane right now. i dont think i'm gettin anything good unless i actually cough up some money for it. thanks everybody.

Witty signature to be released late February.
Foxy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2005 19:14
After a long time, here it is, it's attatched to this post.

I know it's not the best but, I gave it a shot. Let me know what you think. I left the wheels off because I didn't know whether you want to use it for in-flight or as part of scenery, if you want them on there let me know.

Anyhoo, cheers for now.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Sol462
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2005 01:47
Quote: "if you texture it in GSLight it will be watermarked."

i thought those were only in renders.

coffee + monkeys + creativity = games
Operation Pineapple - Multiplayer FPS WIP
Foxy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2005 09:51
Yeah, it is actually, my bad.

One other thing it does though is leave a line in the file itself that says:

"#This file was made with a Caligari(c) product"

Or something similar. This can be removed without harm but goes against Caligari policy I believe.

Darth Randal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2005 14:55
this is an excelent plane, thank you very much for making it.

Foxy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2005 17:22
That's cool. Thanks for the feedback.

Cyril Grey
Years of Service
User Offline
Guyon is right about Milkshape. It's a pretty decent program, and you can make high poly count with the smooth tool, or you can keep them low. Also, if you want a more advanced modeling program, try GMax (a downscaled version of 3D Studio Max). You can model in Gmax then export as MD3 (QuakeIII file format), open the MD3 in Milkshape, then export to X file from Milkshape. GMax is free and the MD3 plugin is free too. Milkshape has a 31 day free trial, and $25.00 if you want to continue using after 31 days. Attached are a tree and an arrow I created (very low polly count) the images are snapshots from Milkshape. Both load and work great in the game engine I am creating.... Which, by the way, is why I came to the forum... Please look at my other post to see if you have an answer to my small dilemma

With math all things are possible

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Darth Randal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2005 03:02
how do i find this post?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 11:32:08
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 11:32:08