Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / My windows broke

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2005 13:01
My windows crashed at startup (i think i made it do too much too quickly) and so i had no choice but to reset. Little did i know that windows was writing to several files in the windows/system32/config directory when i reset, and subsequently all corrupted. Now windows is broken. This seemed like a good point in time to get a new hard drive, which i have needed for a while, to replace my very old 20GB one. I've set it up and installed windows, and started trying to recover what i can from the old hard drive.

I can't get windows to start again on the old hard drive, and i am going to format it and use it in the mp3 computer in my room, but i can't do that until i get all my files from it. The problem is that i can't access My Documents on the old hard drive because i was the admin and the files were set up as private, so when i try to open it it says "Access Denied"

Does anyone here know a solution to this problem? I'm going to install linux on another partition on my new hard drive, and i'll see if the ntfs drivers for linux can get past that. Does anyone know of a way to get past it, or at least "log in" so i can access the files? I have some important stuff in there, and i don't want to lose it

A baby seal walks into a club...
Osiris
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2005 13:19
hres a thought, windows will protect and fix itself if you put in its disk

flibX0r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2005 15:35
no i doesn't. i tries, but it can't. I think the hard drive has almost completely died, so its not writing properly. I've tried repairing the windows installation in every way possible.

I'm installing Fedora Core 3 now and i have the ntfs drivers for it, maybe this will work

flibX0r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2005 20:25
*bumpy*

PiratSS
Years of Service
User Offline
Stick a boot disk in and recover all of your data. If it doesn't detect the HD, then there is little you can do about it.
flibX0r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2005 21:29
tried it, can't seem to do it, i think the hard drive is boned. I'm starting to give up. Bugger

Los
Years of Service
User Offline
Can't help myself.. did some googling but I havn't merged as one with googles search properties.

I image you've connected your new H-D, installed your current windows, not had any messages about your other hard drive, signed in as admin and it won't let you do nutin' .. bub.

You best see the best of the best and go to another forum. I've randomly found this one.. give it afew days but you might aswell if you want files from your broken H-D. http://www.techimo.com/forum/index.html put it in the security and privacy forum because that's where some other dude said about another hard drive and having access enied problems.. you can read that but it's nothing like your problem;
http://www.techimo.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-122817.html

all in all is all we all are.

no no no no no no no no
JoelJ
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2005 13:47
Quote: "Osiris - hres a thought, windows will protect and fix itself if you put in its disk
"

here's another...dont be a jerk

[center]
I like cheese
Osiris
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2005 20:22
thats wasnt supposed to jerkish like sorry about that, anyways there is another web site i know of

[href]www.geekvalley.com[/href]

go there do a quick signup and post in the computer hardware section you will get help very fast

jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2005 20:36
Is this Windows 2000/XP? (Home, Pro, Server)?

If it's XP Pro/2000 Pro then I think you may be able to do something about it by using the Administator user and using the "Take ownership" options on the security tab when you select properties for the directory.

Jas

----
"What is this talk of 'release'? Klingons do not'release' software. It escapes leaving a bloody trail of developers and quality assurance people in its wake!"
jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2005 20:39
Also found this....

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421&sd=tech

----
"What is this talk of 'release'? Klingons do not'release' software. It escapes leaving a bloody trail of developers and quality assurance people in its wake!"
flibX0r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2005 00:05
cheers, i'll give it a try in the morning (its 12:03 here)

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2005 00:11
Try using Knoppix to read NTFS drives - you may not need the hassle of having to install Linux then...

Visit http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~nickk/
Questions are a burden to others, answers a prison for oneself.
flibX0r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2005 00:25
i want to install linux anyway, but it didn't work. I couldn't get it to mount the drive, because its a bit munted. I think setting the permissions might work though. But i can't be bothering shutting down and pluging the drive in

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 10:21:28
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 10:21:28