Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / How Not to Be Flamed

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2005 14:26
We've all seen the threads about a new hit game made by a new programmer that will be better than commercial titles. These 'newbies', as most call them, need a little help to correct their path.
Here is what I do:
Imagine a glass jar (you). Now imagine that a grenade (near-impossible ideas) is stuck in the jar. The only way to keep the grenade from going off is the surpress the will to start big, think realistically, practice your skills, and try to gain experience. Just follow everyone's advice, only ask specific, descriptive, and relevant questions when you have trouble, be polite, and never let discouragement and obstacles get the best of you. Start off small and gradually build on what you learn. You will eventually be able to make an online RPG or what have you, it just requires practice, determination, and experience, things that are possible to aquire.
Hope that helps you out.

coffee + monkeys + creativity = games
Operation Pineapple - Multiplayer FPS WIP
Foxy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2005 15:12
Spot on.

...Oh wait, I'm a newbie.

If I were you and you were me, then you'd be yourself 'cos you are me and I am you.
Darth Randal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2005 06:44
also, using the acronyms fps and mmorpg can be equivalent to pulling the metaphorical pin. start with something EASY, and once you've made pong or pacman, improve on it, dream up how to make your simple game into something unique and whatnot. thats what i do.

Witty signature to be released late February.
TravisP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2005 07:56

Note: The above I didn't say, your just crazy.

Not a ripoff of The Twilight Zone

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 11:24:01
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 11:24:01