Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Replacing graphics card fan

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2005 02:20 Edited at: 1st Feb 2005 02:22
Anyone know a good place to buy a graphics card fan. Mine has definitely given up the ghost now. It's still turning, but it's whining like a spanked ho. I've done the oiling trick twice now, both times lubricating it up enough to last for another couple of months, but now it's screaming like pretty much all the bearing have blown.

It's a fx5600 128mb, so not worth throwing out just yet. Any ideas on where I could pick up a new fan?

EDIT: Maplins seems to stock them, so my next question now is, how do I find out which one I need?

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2005 02:29
I'd see what the manf specs are first

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2005 04:25
I'm not a graphics card fan. To me, they are a necessity, a means to an end.

BatVink
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2005 07:48
If you could find the size of the chipset, that would help.

I was gonna say if you wanna pay shipping, I'd send you a brand new one that didn't fit my card. I got it for free from my local dealership, so no charge. But you're in the UK, so I doubt shipping price is worth it. If you know a good computer parts store in town, take you're card and old fan to them. To get the old fan and heatsink off, stick the card in the freezer for awhile. Then use a thin razor blade or something to help pry the heatsink off. Freezing the card helps to break the adhesive and make the job easier. This is how I did it to me GF3.

"eureka" - Archimedes
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2005 17:00
I replaced fan on my Geforce4 Ti4600 with a whopping great heatsink and heatpipe thingy because the noise of all the fans in my system was driving me nuts.

Boo!
Nicholas Thompson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2005 17:52
If you want a new heatsink, you can go far wrong with this little beasty

[href]http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=168309[/href

I am considering getting this to replace my water cooling on my graphics card (water cooling is too heavy and risky in terms of leaking.. Got fed up with it).

My only concern is I dont know if it will sit high enough to not intefere with my TweakMonstor RamSinks..

Has ANYONE else used this heatsink with those ramsinks?

My Website:
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2005 07:00
That friggin huge! And by ramsinks, you're talking about the ram on the graphics board, right? Cause I can't see how a card on a mobo could be that close to the system ram.

"eureka" - Archimedes

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 10:15:28
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 10:15:28