Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / my unlucky discovery (DANGIT MICROSOFT!!!)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Yesterday i reformatted, after taking backups.

My documents is probably a more important folder to me than most people. in their was gigs worth of music, important pictures, my creations and portfolio, all my darkbasic, modelling and website projects are there, i had mportant stuff for my internet radio dj-ing, list goes on.

i copy and paste "my documents" into the backup drive.

i coping and paste "mums documents" in the back up drive

i get a message syaing "my documents is already a folder do you want to overwrite blah blah blah?"

i click no, make a new folder called "mums docs" and transfer everything over, and then reformat.

install windows etc, and then go to backup files, and find that even though i clicked "no", mums docs have over written what i had in my docs, i've lost everything. serves me right for having so much warezed music (lesson kids, you can have all the warez in the world but it will kick you in the butt even if its not the cops).

All my music, portfolio, 4-5 yrs worth of projects and archives, funny pics, radio show archives, all gone

PiratSS
Years of Service
User Offline
omg, give warez websites? Just kidding
Very sorry to hear all of your projects went to waste
Newbie Brogo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2005 06:30
Can I have your mums doc?

--From your favorite Cat Overlord
Teh Go0rfmeister
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2005 07:00 Edited at: 1st Feb 2005 07:01
why?

...?

"The relative importance of files depends on their cost in terms of the human effort needed to regenerate them" - T.A. Dolotta

Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2005 07:07
Unlucky. Something similar happened to me recently: I lost everything on C and couldn't back up U so I was stuck with a limited back up from a week before....my PC is much better now anyway

Osiris
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2005 07:10
Quote: "microsoft"

well theres you problem there you seem to have a virus installed

lol

j/k

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2005 07:51
I have documents from 6-8 years ago. Keeping them safe from reformats is a pain, I really should use the tape drive I got.
I'd hate to see my friend backup his computer, 120GB of music. (most of it is legit though)

"eureka" - Archimedes
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2005 08:00
Unless your Mum had the same number of files as you, all named the exact same thing, nothing would have been overwritten. Windows only replaces files with the same name, otherwise they'd all be merged into the same folder.

Anyway, I'm surprised you didn't check your backups before formatting. I actually just did a reinstall of Windows yesterday, and I made sure I backed up everything 3 times, the best way to check is by checking the file size of your original files with the file size of your backup. If they match, you've backed it all up.

"Computers are useless, they can only give you answers."
Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2005 08:09
EasyRecovery. Free Trial. Will get your stuff back EVEN if you formatted the drive AND installed the OS.

-This...is my boomstick!
DrakeX
Years of Service
User Offline
yet another reason not to keep all your files in the "my documents" folder. thank god for the ability to create folders

"when it's done" means "we have no idea, we forgot to do that; we were hoping you would all forget we promised <insert exotic promise here>"
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2005 11:06
i lost 15000 lines of code when DBP didnt have a .bak up plan in like 2004.

thats the last big thing ive sort of lost.

The computer shop loves me as I clean them out of DVD-RW discs which i use to back up to.

its dissheartening to lose that much and i feel for you.

If no-one gives your an answer to a question you have asked, consider:- Is your question clear.- Did you ask nicely.- Are you showing any effort to solve the problem yourself
Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2005 14:42
I *never* Use an erasable media to backup with. It just has too much potential to be whiped by either my stupidity, or Window's Virus-like Way of infecting everything it touches

Now that I have a Dual Layer DVD burner, I'm starting to back all my stuff up in seperate, dated folders onto a single DVD so that I can access it all on the single disk... Ah, life is wonderful

I can understand that loss though, It's much like having your photo album burnt in a house fire, or all your tapes of Xmas for the last 10 years melting in the draw cos of the damned heat... ( Hey, stranger things have happened )

Cellblock, how on earth is EasyRecovery able to restore files once the drive has been formatted? Especially if the files were badly fragmented.
I can see how it's possible if you only do a dummy format, making it seem like the drive is empty, when it really isn't, but if you properly format, then it shouldn't be possible... should it?

Jess.

Team EOD :: Programmer/All-Round Nice Guy
Aust. Convention!
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2005 15:44
Quote: "Cellblock, how on earth is EasyRecovery able to restore files once the drive has been formatted? Especially if the files were badly fragmented.
I can see how it's possible if you only do a dummy format, making it seem like the drive is empty, when it really isn't, but if you properly format, then it shouldn't be possible... should it?"

Windows probably doesn't format everything?

There are also companies you can send you drive to and they'll recover your data. A format is child's play for them, they've even managed to get stuff back from fires, floods etc

Get 15 new commands, all the date / time commands left out of DBPro for free!
DOWNLOAD PLUGINS HERE: http://www.davidtattersall.me.uk/ and select "DarkBasic"
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2005 17:43
It won't recover everything, reinstalling the OS will use whatever part of the disk it chooses. You'll also have lots of unnamed files, which you then have to decipher. You might also find you only have partial files, with beginnings or endings missing.

BatVink
Foxy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2005 19:32
I found the best way of doing things is just have another 10 gig hard drive put in your computer. Thats what I've got. I am not interested in losing gigs of projects that I've done in VB html DB and everything else.

@ El-Goorf: That must really suck. We all feel you're pain.

If I were you and you were me, then you'd be yourself 'cos you are me and I am you.
Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2005 22:26
This happened to me once also.. but that was my fault.
I was working on a game and I decided the player had to write his name at the beggining of the game. the name of the player would be the name of a folder where all saves and stuff would be stored. if the name allready existed the folder should be deleted but it ended up me typing a "/" and which resulted in I deleted almost everything on my hd

David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2005 00:35
Now THAT is unlucky!

Actually Froogle, your problem sounds a little weird. As have already been pointed out, windows WON'T overwrite files in the my docs folder which don't have a namesake present in the new folder trying to overwrite it.

Get 15 new commands, all the date / time commands left out of DBPro for free!
DOWNLOAD PLUGINS HERE: http://www.davidtattersall.me.uk/ and select "DarkBasic"
blanky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2005 00:58
Normally, rather than Windows actually setting all the sectors of the disk to '00', Windows often just tells the FAT (File Allocation Table) that there's no data there, which often works quite well and is quite a quick way to forget data.

Some software, (like Cellblock (I think) mentioned), claims to be able to read the hard disk and bring the data back.

Good luck to it.

Avatar - white cat in a snowstorm. Look closely.
Teh Go0rfmeister
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2005 03:12 Edited at: 2nd Feb 2005 05:03
Quote: "Unless your Mum had the same number of files as you, all named the exact same thing, nothing would have been overwritten. Windows only replaces files with the same name, otherwise they'd all be merged into the same folder."

well... it did...

Quote: "Anyway, I'm surprised you didn't check your backups before formatting. I actually just did a reinstall of Windows yesterday, and I made sure I backed up everything 3 times, the best way to check is by checking the file size of your original files with the file size of your backup. If they match, you've backed it all up."

i'm so used to reformatting it's just a doddle for me now, i dont really put thought into it any more

cheers for mentioning the recovery thigng, i'll try it now.

edit: Tried it, but not very happy with results, only a few of the files i recovered are in working order. none of my .doc files still work, some of my music files have jumbled up, and if i try played andrew wk i get a piano piece, and if i play baby cakes i get sounds of a womans orgasm, but i guess it's better than nothing.

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2005 05:39
Quote: "and if i play baby cakes"

Ohhhhh dear

CURRENT PROJECT: Chaos Hizzle Demo
Teh Go0rfmeister
Years of Service
User Offline
i never got round to deleting it when everyone was talkin about it at school and i'd been away on holiday so was like "wtf?" and downloaded it... i loved the video though

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 10:18:51
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 10:18:51