Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Text input and/or text based game help

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Okay everyone, I'm trying to get this DarkBasic thing figured out, but I'm no programmer. I'm trying to start off with a very simple text game, but am running into some complications. How do I make a form where the text will be displayed? How do I make a little input bar which prints as the user types? How do I recall stored variables when certain commands are entered? I've got images to use, I just don't know how to line them up. If you need them I can post the images when I get home, but ... I'm really not sure where to start in the coding. Thank you in advance.

I'm new to programming, sorry if I sound like a stupid N00B.
D I G I T A L
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2005 06:39
you need to start with text input(text entery). please look at the tutorials. everything is explained there. once u get to know how to make text inputs. u can start the next step which is how to make an input bar. if u ask me how do i do it, i just creat a white rectangle that has a shape of a text bar. and position the cursor on the begining of it. and ofcorse dont forget to color the text black so you can see what ur typing. and there u have it.
on recalling variables, thats also explained alot on the tutorials. its the "open to read" and "open to write" commands. they'r very useful on saving text and the next time u open ur game u can recall the same text again. work smarter, not harder.
hope i helped

Jedi Lord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2005 08:09 Edited at: 4th Feb 2005 08:24
Or you can try my Phototype program it is my first time make a program it is kind of have some bug but i have no time to do it.
this program is dead but it can be useful for ya.
here ya go.
(it about a thousand lines LOL)

Have a good day to you guy!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 10:25:02
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 10:25:02