Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / [LOCKED] Splash Mark

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2005 01:43
This is awesome! I want a splash mark at the end of my game saying MADE MY FPS CREATOR. That would be good and that wouldn't take away from the game I think. This won't make a difference to me when I decide to buy the game. It will be good for TGC because it will advertise their product and get more customers. Anybody else with me on this?
Rich Brockway
Years of Service
User Offline
fdecker,

I'm totally against this. Unless, of course, there is a cheaper version which forces you to display it.

CBuilder
SkyCubes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2005 01:58 Edited at: 2nd Feb 2005 01:59
A dissenting opinion. Excellent. Now we have a thread with two opposing opinions on a single issue. This is commonly referred to as "discussion".

...experiment continues...
OTS Software
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2005 02:02
That is how T3DGM works, and I am not fond of it. It doesn't look professional. I would prefer a splash prior to the game that is full screen and professional looking. It would still give TGC the advertising while making the games look better.

IMHO

www.OTSsoftware.com
Chimera
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2005 03:00
Yeah... Maybe if cutscenes are implented they could make a cool looking screen and not just a splash screen.

Don't eat yellow snow!
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2005 03:01
discussion, opinion,

Democracy. What people need and want are choices in all matters - that serves equally well for FPSC.

If something offers you a choice - you have just that. You can choose to use something, include it or not - the choice is yours.

If you dont have a choice - you cant choose - its as simple as that. Whatever feature you refer to regarding FPSC - the same applies - you either got a choice or you dont.

With regard to any Splash Screen requirement in particular.

Apparently as I understand it - you will have a choice (at a price) - to license the product or not and show or not show the FPSC Spalsh Screen.

I dont think its unreasonable for TGC to expect games made with non licensed versions to carry their Splash Screen, as I believe that the unlicensed product is reasonably priced, considering the amount of investment required to develop it.

As many here and TGC I presume too? would wish to see further development - then a commercial decison based on investment/return says that in order to achieve that there must be a way or raising the funding necessary to do that, whilst at the same still time making the same product available to a wider audience and user base, than would otherwise be the case.

Thus you will have a number of purchase and pricing options to suit all whilst giving everyone the same quality product.

Seems like being fair and necessary business sense to me without which I dont think you would be seeing the product come into existance at all. Well done TGC.

As to the choice of using the Splash Screen I personally would not mind in any case showing that a game was made with a particular product or products. e.g. I would also like to add credits to my game (maybe someone here will help me out with something - would you not like or insist on a credit?).

I must say though I would like to be able to make the choice of how and where the Credits appear. Its just a design preference.

I dont think that many users in any case are going to make a game of such stature that it would be degrading to show some credits - It may even be benificial to have a long list as it seems more profeesional in some ways to show there may be many involved in its making.

Besides its something to watch while the game end soundtrack plays
Noldor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2005 03:18 Edited at: 2nd Feb 2005 03:19
Im fine with a splash screen. (or a splash mark or anything)
Its an application that lets me
make FPS games without great work
for about 60$ (not exact figure)
I think we are getting away realy
cheap.
SkyCubes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2005 03:29
And that concludes this little experiment.

Coldnews, I’d like to offer a friendly amendment to your FPSC Forum Rules. You can put this at #5. On second thought, make this #1, because it really is the most important posting/forum rule of all:

1. Any post you make MUST cast some positive light on the product. At the very least, it should blow smoke of the arses of the developers and/or the forum mods/beta testers. If not, your thread WILL be locked. The criteria used by the locking mod will be totally subjective and their decision is final. If you don’t like this rule, then either don’t post here or at least realize that “life sucks” and “no buts”.

The evidence to support my idea for this rule addition/amendment is clear in this thread. I modeled the topic of this thread after an earlier thread which was promptly locked after only 27 minutes of life. That original message read as follows:

Quote: "this kind of sucks i dont want a splashmake at the end of my game saying MADE MY FPS CREATOR that would be bad that would take away from the game i think? this might make me not buy the game. Anybody else with me on this?"

Compare that to my post:

Quote: "This is awesome! I want a splash mark at the end of my game saying MADE MY FPS CREATOR. That would be good and that wouldn't take away from the game I think. This won't make a difference to me when I decide to buy the game. It will be good for TGC because it will advertise their product and get more customers. Anybody else with me on this?"

The difference is self-evident. My thread has not been locked simply because I followed the guidelines as set forth by the new #1 rule.

This kind of thing happens on a daily basis here.

Experiment conclusion? Simple. If you want to post on this forum, you had better say the right damn thing and not ask the wrong damn question. And for god’s sake, don’t you dare cross a forum mod.

Point made. Deal with it.
Sinistar
Years of Service
User Offline
fdecker: You are a genius. You should apply for a grant for more study on this issue.

As far as a splash screen with something like Made with fpscreator...

A) all I ask is that it look "cool." eg it is prepared with coolness and presentation in mind.

Oh oh I know, maybe a choice of like 3 or 4 screens to match the mood of your game.

I humbly suggest: Scifi, Jungle, WW2, Horror, Cartoon.

b) Maybe a more $$ version without the screen at all or a $$ unlock code to get rid of it. Some people would pay more for this, others wouldn't care.
Chenak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2005 04:13
@fdecker: why do you even care? That thread was going to degrade in flames, just like this one will. Its not up to you how these forums are managed, you deal with that. I think the mods do a great job cleaning out the crap that infests these forums, you're definately not helping

To answer the question, i think splash screens while starting up look better, maybe an option so you can set it at the start or end? hmm
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2005 04:33
I'll lock this quite happily. See? Done.

This issue isn't up for discussion, there IS a splash screen at the end of your game and you can't remove it.

Super Joe crack combat soldier fights a long battle against overwhelming odds.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 14:29:15
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 14:29:15