Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Enemy Waves

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2005 04:41 Edited at: 2nd Feb 2005 05:36
I'm making a 2D sidescroller but I don't know how to make waves of enemies, whether they are random or not. I don't even know where to start or how to go about starting a start . I'll include all the sourcecode so you can take a look.

edit: also some bug help. I've been working on a bug for about 2 weeks and got about half of it fixed today, but the other half has been eluding me from the beginning. When my ship fires, it fires from the same spot that it fired from last time and then the position changes so the next time i fire it's where i was the second time!! This has been affecting dthe enemy and me for an extremely long time.

editedit: about the bug, is there some type of UPDATE command that I could use to update the positions only in certain situations?

Well, I'm trying aren't I.....

When Life gives you lemons make orange juice. Then sit back and wonder how it was done.
The Game Programmer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2005 06:46
Ok, after several hours of waiting, there is still no reply? Are the things I'm requesting impossible? Or am I just not explaining them fully? Is there any way I could improve these requests in the future?

When Life gives you lemons make orange juice. Then sit back and wonder how it was done.
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2005 08:12
Just be patient - this is a forum, not a chatroom! We all have lives you know. We don't all just sit around looking for problems to sort out for people.

You may have to wait a day or two before the right person comes along and look at your code which you have made very difficult for us to test as we have to come up with all the media which you should really provide. Don't expect us to waste hours trying to work out what your program does as we can't simply run it.

Boo!
The Game Programmer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2005 08:34
Ouch! A little harsh but I accept your critism, I'll go ahead and attach the media to this. Thanks for the critism, I won't make that mistake again.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
The Game Programmer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2005 09:52
Bump. I hate to bump, but I've had no answer.

Major Payn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2005 11:34 Edited at: 3rd Feb 2005 11:38
I will not go into detail, but I will help to some extent. First you might want to create a bunch of objects for your enemies, using the for next loops, then position them away from the player in random locations using the rnd command, now point them toward the player,and have them move a space, check to see if they have been killed, and if so have them get positioned away from the player, so that dead enemies will come back in waves, essentially you are using the same objects over and over again, so here is a summary of all that....

position objects
point objects at player, move objects
check if objects are dead, if so position them away from the player

Oh wait, I see that your using sprites and stuff, I don't know anything about 2D, so I am not sure how much all that above will help.

Guns arn't the problem, people are the problem, shoot all the people and guns arn't a problem anymore.
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2005 12:26
The same applies just make,position, and hide the sprites for use. You will need to figure out the max number of enemies you want to have and only make that many sprites. Load all of the images before your game starts. As you need the enemies just remake the sprites using the sprite command and unhide them.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 10:21:03
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 10:21:03