Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Half-Life 2 is the most engrossing game ever made. Period.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2005 06:57 Edited at: 3rd Feb 2005 09:39
Oops, sorry for the spoilers! I figured it was old enough not to worry :p

I've played Halo 2 and Doom 3, and although Halo 2 was pretty good, they pale in comparison to this. It's almost like watching a movie and you forget you're playing a game.

I'm probably still not even half-ways through the game, but my fedora goes off to the developers.

Good work, Valve!

--[GameBasic - Coming Soon]-- ^^^ banner generously designed by TheBigBabou
TKF15H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2005 07:02
If only the whole online-activation/updating thing wasn't so annoying...
I don't even have the game, I'm allready tired of hearing people whine about it taking forever to start.

AphoticVM status: 80% AphoticBasic status: 10%
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2005 07:59
Weird--- it takes Steam about 5 seconds to get into the loading screen for me... then again, I was running on half-decent system

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2005 08:49 Edited at: 3rd Feb 2005 08:50
Jeku, I just got to Ravenholm and then I go and read this post (to agree with you) and you go throwing in all sorts of spoilers!! Warn us next time! I just built a new machine capable of playing the newer games so I am a little behind everyone (a few levels into D3 and HL2)

stop with the spoilers or warn!

Thanks

PS - yes HL2 is a super amazing game! Steam rules!

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2005 09:08
Yes, I just started playing Half-Life 2 a few days ago, and like CR, I came in here to agree only to force myself to stop reading as soon as I saw the words: "used the gravity gun to...", fortunately I think I stopped myself before reading how to solve the puzzle, but in the future, a little spoiler warning would be nice.

In any case, Half-Life 2 is indeed superb, I only wish I could play it with full graphics instead of setting everything to 'low'.

"Computers are useless, they can only give you answers."
Major Payn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2005 09:23
In my opinion HL2 is far from the most engrossing, I was much more engrossed in Farcry and Rome total war.

Guns arn't the problem, people are the problem, shoot all the people and guns arn't a problem anymore.
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2005 09:40
Oops, sorry for the spoilers! I figured the game was old enough to not have to worry about offending.

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2005 10:26
my new machine runs everything on full tilt @ 1024x768 with not a hiccup! I am liking hl2 much more than doom3. Doom3, while fantastic playability-wise, is a little too dark for me and the modelling and textures are way too futuristicly overdone, and did I mention its too damn dark? (even with brightness in game and monitor gassed up) HL2 on the other hand is simply incredible in all aspects: Playability, effects, havoc physics, lighting, modelling, textures etc etc etc.

Both games are great but if I had to choose one I'd go with HL2. Not to mention the steam unification of the game servers and registering allowed me to reregister all my games, and now I can play my beloved TFC again - yay!

sorry, off on a tangent again.

<me starts steam, starts hl2, "ah, ravenholm...">

PiratSS
Years of Service
User Offline
the game gets a WHOLE LOT more boring after that. I just quit after chapter 12 cuz it was too repetative.
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2005 21:28 Edited at: 3rd Feb 2005 21:30
Some of the levels are very boring - especially inside the City and Ravenholm.

Oh, and does anyone have a video of the complete game, on the hardest level ? Its for a legal challenge of mine (I want to see if the blurb on the back is accurate).

Visit http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~nickk/
Questions are a burden to others, answers a prison for oneself.
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2005 22:35
Is Half-Life 2 a new map editor or something? =/

-Progress chart
3d engine: 46% physics: 67% AI: 89% Sanity: -51%
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2005 23:45
Ravenholm? Boring? I found it utterly absorbing.

I do not think Half-Life 2 is the most engrossing game ever made... I think it's the second. If Ravenholm is indeed the scariest part, it is almost, but not quite, as frightening as System Shock 2. Nevertheless it's a fantastic game.

Spoilers in code box.

Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2005 00:32
System Shock 2 was a moldy fish.

-Progress chart
3d engine: 46% physics: 67% AI: 89% Sanity: -51%
Anomaly
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2005 00:41 Edited at: 4th Feb 2005 19:42
I think Farcry and Halo 2 handling of vehicles gave more options than Half-life 2
Anomaly
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2005 00:46 Edited at: 4th Feb 2005 19:43
*delete please*

Mod Edit: There's an EDIT button for each of your posts...use it
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2005 09:06
I agree with Mouse's codebox I had and continue to have the same reaction when I see those "things".

Half-Life 2 and Halo 2 spoiler in code box.

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2005 19:05 Edited at: 4th Feb 2005 19:07
Just finished the game, probably took about 3 days, playing 6 hours a day (hey, it's the holidays, I need to keep myself busy somehow ). It was superb, they definately mixed it up enough to keep you interested throughout the whole game, as soon as you start thinking "Hmm, this is getting a bit repetitive", they stick you in a vehicle or give you a new weapon to play with.

Warning: Spoilers about what isn't in the game, I doubt it's going to ruin anything for you though.
Unfortunately, the only niggles I had was that although there were a few areas where you got sniped, you never got to do any sniping yourself. I also noticed that several things that appeared in the pre-release videos never happened to me in the game, actually, I'll take that one step further, look in any 2003 video and you'll be hard-pressed to find something that actually made it into the game. Most notably is the 'Docks' scene, lots of videos showed this scene where Freeman picked up a crowbar and walked along the pier hacking away at zombies. I also noticed Alyx changed in appearance a lot, her face remained the same, but fortunately they changed her clothes from some weird body-suit thing and a green jacket to what appears in the game, a good change IMHO though. I don't know if they changed it because of the code-stealing thing or if they just thought it didn't fit into the storyline, but it is odd to see that famous Dock scene gone.

There's also the very impressive video of Dr Kleiners lab (which seems to have been slightly redesigned as well) where Alyx is talking to you and acting very worried before handing you the SMG and a Strider comes crashing through the wall. I was actually waiting for that scene as well, just so I could hear Alyx say "Gordon, snap out of it, you're staring at me again." once more. Even more interestingly, there is a sewer-type scene in one video where you and Alyx are pinned against a fence and you see an enemy soldier getting up to shoot you before it's picked up by a glowing blue tentacle and pulled into the water, I believe it was in the 2003 demo video with the Dock scene, both were vacant from the final release.

I'm hardly going to call Half-Life 2 a bad game because some of the areas that were in the demo videos weren't in the final game. Without them, the game was still awesome, I just find it interesting that they were removed... and somewhat disappointing.

P.S. The ending rocks, definitely as trippy as the original's ending!

"Computers are useless, they can only give you answers."
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2005 06:56
Hmmmm, well I found the original game much harder than the sequel, so I didn't actually finish the original

Anyways, it is quite common to see a company remove parts of the game that are un-needed--- think deleted scenes on a DVD movie. If you've played Halo 2 you'll notice that the entire 8 minute E3 2003 video didn't make it to the game--- mostly because it was a rushed dealio with a different engine.

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2005 23:08 Edited at: 5th Feb 2005 23:09
I'm one of those 'quality in quantity' people... I always find it really frustrating when good content is cut. A good game's limit is almost always its length in time or the breadth of its content, so that just don't make sense to me.

Teh Go0rfmeister
Years of Service
User Offline
HL2 needs more vehicles and more purpose in it's physics engine... i just done the airboat and now im bored

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2005 06:45
Well honestly the airboat levels were a little lame for me too... I found it was all a matter of zoom, jump, zoom, solve puzzle to jump, zoom, jump, zoom, etc.

But believe me, the game gets a LOT better after that. There were several times when I had to go down into a dark hole in the ground or something like that, and I could hear some menacing creature down there... I was almost too scared to venture forth a few times. This has only happened to me with 1 other game: the original Half-Life :p

soapyfish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2005 07:37 Edited at: 7th Feb 2005 07:39
I'm probably the last person that should be playing HL2. For a start, I installed it on Christmas day (probably the second busiest day for the Steam servers next to the day it was released) using 56k. I now attempt to play it on 512mb using a NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 and haven't got past the hover craft and river gate level because I can't be bothered playing it (don't ask why, it's a great game I know, it's just if I go for a day without playing a game I seem to go off it.)

I've probably been on CS Source more times then HL2 and yes, I play it on 56k.

Formely code2kill
Is it really that hard to check your spelling before clicking the Post Message button?
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2005 08:38
Just finished HL2! must say its a great game
Now wheres that Duct Tape mod for Doom 3, maybe I will be able to see...

flibX0r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2005 18:40 Edited at: 7th Feb 2005 18:41
I DEMAND HALF LIFE 3!!!!!

Finished HL2 twice now, currently playing on hardest difficulty with cheats for fun. The ending drove me nuts, I think i've figured it all out, but I WANT TO PLAY THE NEXT ONE DAMMIT!

sorry, gone slightly insane. well, insane-er. When you add a small number to a really big number, its kind of hard to notice the difference, so i probably seem to be the same level of insanity

A baby seal walks into a club...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 10:11:41
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 10:11:41