Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / My Sudden Hate for FireFox

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2005 08:20 Edited at: 3rd Feb 2005 08:41
I just loaded up firefox today... and every single thing about it was erased, as if it was brand new installation. My countless bookmarks to tons of topics I had interests in, probably being the one I hate to loose the most. And the fact it did this all without any help from me. If its a bug then I am going back to IE because it I never had bug problems with, and never lost so much data from. If it was update, I would of liked a WARNING before everything went up in smoke, and before yea ask, I never clicked anything to update it for a very long time now.

Needless to say, I will no longer recommend it to anyone anymore, period.

Mx5 kris
Years of Service
User Offline

Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2005 09:07
An update wouldn't do that, besides there hasn't been any. Check if the data hasn't actually been lost, on my PC it all lives here:

C:\Documents and Settings\Rich\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\default.rxk

It may still exist on yours (directory name will be different though).

It's not stored in the Firefox folder in Program Files, that's just the default stuff.

Back-up your Profiles folder from time to time, it holds everything. Passwords, history, cache, bookmarks, etc etc. Unlike IE you actually CAN back it all up.

Super Joe crack combat soldier fights a long battle against overwhelming odds.
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2005 09:07
If you would rather lose all your information to some worm or something, ok. Have fun

Multiplayer DLL on its way! Easy to use DLL for client/server multiplayer games.
TKF15H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2005 09:10
heh, I've been using Firefox for quite a long time, and something like this has never happend. The fact that you have no clue as to what caused it could mean that it was caused by another program. Maybe you (or someone/something else) deleted a file that firefox uses...

AphoticVM status: 80% AphoticBasic status: 10%
DarkSin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2005 09:18 Edited at: 3rd Feb 2005 09:21
Its all gone whaterver that file is, and no I couldnt been a new program or something that did it because nothing new has been installed on this for about a week, and that was ffxi. Ive been using FireFox for a while now myself (around 9 maybe more months), and have had no problems with it. But after this, eh I dont care about recording anything else except bookmarks, and IE can do that. As far as worms and stuff? Heheheh never got one for the years I used IE before FireFox.

Did a massive search on all drives for it, no trace of even a Profiles folder. Anyways, I guess since I lost that big info I might as well save all my other important stuff and reformat while I'm at it.

Another wierd point is not just that normal password, bookmark, ect stuff was gone, but even the skins I had downloaded. It was literaly as if I had just installed it, which is wierd because I just got done using it last night and just left the compuer on and went to bed (same thing ive done everynight).

Cant be a wierd sick firefox deleteing virus or something I dont think, since just last night I also had a scan from TrendMicro.

Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2005 09:22
Slightly off-topic, but I was looking at the log files for the forum and was amazed to see that the number of people here using IE has dropped to an all-time new low of 57%. It used to be 93%. Firefox has risen the most taking up 33.8% of that share with Opera second (4%!) and then various versions of Mozilla there on down.

Someone even viewed the forum via WebTV (I bet that was a fun experience.. heh). Only 0.1% of visitors using Safari, which is probably me when I'm on my Mac (and Indi, etc!)

For those that are interested the forum serves on average a quarter of a million page views per day (using 1.95GB bandwidth in the process). The absolute busiest time being between 1am and 2am in the morning (GMT). This surprised me, but then I looked at the clock on my PC

Cheers,

Rich

Super Joe crack combat soldier fights a long battle against overwhelming odds.
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2005 10:27
Firefox is taking over.

Multiplayer DLL on its way! Easy to use DLL for client/server multiplayer games.
Mx5 kris
Years of Service
User Offline
thats cool info rich

DarkSin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2005 10:39
Well after investigation in the house I found out it was my mom's fault. Though not intentionaly she overwrote my profile with hers. She couldnt get on her computer early in the day so got on myn, evidently tried to do who knows what and somehow made it to the user manegement page. From there I was overwriten .

This thankfully restores my support in firefox, and although I'm not mad at my mom since she didn't know what she was doing, I did ask her to please NEVER DO THAT AGAIN. Since that still leaves me up a creek without a paddle... poor bookmarks...

On a side note: the computer problems with her computer where quickly fixed...

Mx5 kris
Years of Service
User Offline
lol

Osiris
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2005 11:12
what did she do to hers?

Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2005 18:26
I love it when people do that .... "I messed my computer up, so I used yours." Sure mess mine up too

Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2005 00:35
I only use Firefox because it has a cool name.

-Progress chart
3d engine: 46% physics: 67% AI: 89% Sanity: -51%
Mx5 kris
Years of Service
User Offline
I only use "XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXTREME FOOD" because it has lots of lines crossing lines

blanky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2005 01:08
I really ought to get round to switching from Mozilla to Mozilla Firefox, but I like the cool grey of the 'Modern' theme.

And it's still Gekko at the heart of it anyway, so it doesn't affect the way the pages are rendered.

Avatar - white cat in a snowstorm. Look closely.
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2005 01:29
I wonder what the percentages would be like if you moved from a programming forum such as this where it's vogue to switch to firefox to something like a car forum, or a DIY forum

Get 15 new commands, all the date / time commands left out of DBPro for free!
DOWNLOAD PLUGINS HERE: http://www.davidtattersall.me.uk/ and select "DarkBasic"
MicroMan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2005 01:52
Since most Opera users never bother to change the default setting of 'Show this browswer as IE 6', I wonder how many users REALLY use Opera. I know quite a few myself...

I use Firefox though.

-----
They SAID that given enough time a million monkeys with typewriters could recreate the collected works of William Shakespeare... Internet sure proved them wrong.
-----
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2005 02:38
Quote: "Slightly off-topic, but I was looking at the log files for the forum and was amazed to see that the number of people here using IE has dropped to an all-time new low of 57%. It used to be 93%. Firefox has risen the most taking up 33.8% of that share with Opera second (4%!) and then various versions of Mozilla there on down."

Very cool! Nice to know you're spreading the word and all. I can't imagine going back to working without Firefox.

(But I could quit... any time! )

I've never had data loss or anything like that. It's most likely you accidentely changed or altered your Windows user settings or deleted the storage folder in your documents and settings... well, I wouldn't know that for sure, but generally speaking I have never heard of Firefox losing data like that, so it's probably something else .

IanG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2005 04:10
@rich - is it possible for you to create a live stats page for the next forum, so that we can see who is viewing what thread and with what browser etc

Used to be Phoenix_insane registered in september 2003 despite what the date says to the left <--
PC - amd athlon 2.0ghz, 512mb, GeForce FX 5200 128mb, 200gb, xp pro sp2
Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2005 04:13
damn people will be able to see me snipe threads

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 10:13:39
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 10:13:39