Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Wow so my comp sucks.....

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2005 23:25
Every so often my comp will crash and i have no idea how to fix it, it is happening evertime i use it! Argh!

Basically it keeps switching to a blue screen and doing a memory dump before restarting. I have tried altering with the options so that it dosn't perform a mem dump or restart but it still goes to the blue screen. It says turn off cacheing which i have done. It also says check for a more updated BIOS and there isn't one!!!

I know i have little hard drive space left but i dont think thats it, i just have NO idea what on earth its doing and how to stop it!!! Any ideas?

Oh i also can't use MS Internet Explorer!!!! It jus says page cannot be displayed all the time! Its not on the work offline setting or anything simple like that either, i have already checked for viruses/trojans and what not and have found nothing!!!! Again any ideas guys???

I'm really at my wits end with this machine!

Nunuman
Years of Service
User Offline
nope

D O N T D O D R U G S
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2005 23:37 Edited at: 3rd Feb 2005 23:41
Sounds like a hardware issue to me.

If your confident, take your PC memory sticks out and the cards (graphics, network, sound cards etc) and put them back in again as securely as you can (1 at a time, graphics card and 1 memory stick first, then see where that get's you). Always listening for the 2 clicks when inserting memory, and switch the power off at the socket, but leave it plugged in - it's best to earth your PC when handling small components.

I had a similar problem with Windows2000, turned out to be some cheap memory that had become deadly sensitive to heat, once I swapped it out everything was peaches again.

Nunuman,
Just approved your post so I could tell you that we won't approve posts with a single unhelpful and pointless word in them. It's more trouble for us to approve posts than simply leave them hanging, so make it worth our while please.

Van-B

It's c**p being the only coder in the village.
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2005 23:40
also remember you need at least about 200 mb on your harddisk for the swap file, if you run out of diskspace completely then you will blue screen.

Yarr join teh New and Improved LoGD!
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2005 23:50
You may need more than 200MB! My swapfile runs at just under 2GB.

If you have all you need backed-up, just format the drive and start from scratch with a fresh install. Try running that with just minimal apps for a few days. If it still keeps falling over, start checking out the hardware and/or power supply.

I've seen PCs crash like this, for no reason at all, other than they were plugged into cheap power-socket adaptors that didn't regulate a steady flow of power. Voila.. constant resets.

Super Joe crack combat soldier fights a long battle against overwhelming odds.
nemo85
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2005 00:07 Edited at: 4th Feb 2005 00:08
Cheers for the tips people!

Gona have a fiddle and install a new hard drive now (only 10gb but it was free!)

Oh any ideas on the Internet Explorer problem?
nemo85
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2005 00:56
Ok new problem....

The hard drive i just installed is segregated into to diff volumes G: and F: howver i want to just have one volume like my other HD (C. How do i change this!?!

Dot Merix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2005 01:03
You'll need to use a boot disk, and repartition your drives into a single one.. Can do this by deleting G and F, and creating a new partition C. This will give you the full amount of memory on the one drive.

WindowsXP Home(Service pack 2), Athlon XP 2400+(2.1Ghz), 1GIG Ram, Ati Radeon 9800Pro 128MB.
nemo85
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2005 01:12
Done! By simply going into computer management>disk management and deleting partitions!

Still got the iexplorer problem tho!

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2005 01:29
Yuck.

Hard drives are designed to be partitioned. If you make it all as 1 big drive, files take longer to access and take more space because everything is handled with clusters. It's always best to use a neat partition for your OS, like 5-10gb, and then try to have 30-40gb partitions, like one for music and documents, one for games.

Also, if all your stuff is stored on other partitions, if you want to reinstall you just reinstall the OS safely without having to worry about your files on other partitions.

Van-B

It's c**p being the only coder in the village.
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2005 09:12
I've found that if IE is causing you troubles, you can go to WindowsUpdate.com and update it. If it's already updated, and you really really need to use IE (even though FireFox is more stable), you will have to reformat and reinstall your OS.

--[GameBasic - Coming Soon]-- ^^^ banner generously designed by TheBigBabou
Dot Merix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2005 14:42
From Jeku: you will have to reformat and reinstall your OS.

Why not just reinstall IE first, before reformating your OS?

WindowsXP Home(Service pack 2), Athlon XP 2400+(2.1Ghz), 1GIG Ram, Ati Radeon 9800Pro 128MB.
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2005 17:19
Because IE isn't the easiest thing in the world to uninstall/reinstall. In fact I don't think it's possible :p

--[GameBasic - Coming Soon]-- ^^^ banner generously designed by TheBigBabou
Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2005 19:42 Edited at: 4th Feb 2005 19:49
That would be because it's not possible

nemo85
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2005 00:09
Well i'm using slim browser at the mo, which seems to do the job, sucks that i cant use iexplorer tho, and i cant be arse to reinstall xp!

Dot Merix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2005 01:22
I'm pretty sure if you find the microsoft internet directory and delete the folder, when you do a windows update it notices it's missing... although i could be completely mistaken..

My bad. Just an idea though.

Sol462
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2005 11:08
Quote: "Oh i also can't use MS Internet Explorer!!!!"

do you want to? i suggest firefox or mozilla.

coffee + monkeys + creativity = games
Operation Pineapple - Multiplayer FPS WIP
nemo85
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2005 09:30
lol, yeh got firefox now!

Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2005 10:05
woot