Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Wing Commander Clone

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Heya folks,

Well, i think i've finally decided DB is going to be the thing i'll learn to make myself a game. Now, i'm wondering is anyone out there attempting to create a (what I call) 'Nostalgic' old school sprite Space Sim? And, is DB capable of doing this? also, any good books other than the begginers guide? (which i'm picking up a copy of) i'm new to this deal. But at 20 years old, its high time i start making my childhood fantasies realities Basicly, i'm wanting to create a WC 1, 2, Privateer, and Armada styled game. All sprites, psuedo 3d flight engine, etc..etc. if anyone can help me out and set me on the right path, it'd be much appreciated! thanks

Brad McKinstry
Mr Pointless
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2005 05:35
Have you actually used DB before? No offence, but it's best to know so that I can help.

Originality is not dead, it just has an annoying tendency to fall asleep without setting the alarm clock
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2005 07:07
Yes, it's all possible. A few pointers:

1. Start small, try out a few of the functions you'll need in isolation.
2. Code Snippets forum is your friend. Run other people's code, see what it does, then see how they coded it.
3. Codebase is also your friend, for exactly the same reasons.
4. If you want to see some big projects in the flesh, check out the compo entries from late last year. 90% have the source code included.

Good luck.

BatVink
BradMick
Years of Service
User Offline
excellent, thanks guys.

and in response, i haven't ever done anything in DB. i know its a big project, i don't plan on doing it all at once. looking at starting small, making the planet side bases work first. then move on to tackling the flight engine in phases.

i'm really new to this all. really kind of looking for a good starting point which'll put me on the path to bringing this project to life. i have plenty of time for learning, just need to know where to start

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 11:21:25
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 11:21:25