Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / X model looks terribly dull...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I just loaded a model I made with 3DS Max and exported as a .X file into DBP and it looked horribly dark, almost so the details of the texture couldn't be made out... I tried messing with the ambience but all that does is change the overall color of the model... and I tried making sure that the model was being affected by the ambient lighting. Still nothing. Only when I turn the ambient lighting up to horrendous amounts so that everything else in the scene is pure white does the model look like it is supposed to....

How can I make it not look so dark and dull?

Thanks!

Neeeeeeeewom!
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2005 05:32
Have you tried set object diffuse? Sometimes the diffuse info gets lost when loading models. You may want to look into changing the fvf format from the default. Also .dds textures look way better to me (they don't seem to blur as much).

Indie Rock 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Hmm I messed with the diffuse for awhile but could only make the model appear much darker. Are there any material settings I could change before exporting the model to change it? Or maybe a better model format to use such as MD3?

Neeeeeeeewom!
DLS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2005 06:47 Edited at: 9th Feb 2005 06:48
i had this problem

set the ambient lighting

it works trust me

[edit]
oh try a value like 50

system specs: AMD XP 3000+, 512Mb DDR333, nvidia ge-force FX 5600 128MB, 1x8Gb & 1x40Gb HHD, 52x CD drive, DVD+RW 4x, Sound Blaster 128.... all in a Nokia 8310 case :0D
Clueless
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2005 08:04
Your object's normals are flipped Hattori. DLS is correct to mention the ambient settings and you'd also do well to explicitly set the object's response to lights in the scene, but it won't help until you get the normals corrected.

I'll have to point you to the help file for the modeling software that you use. I use GameSpace and am only familiar with making the alterations there, but I've seen the problem you're having many times before.
Indie Rock 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2005 16:05 Edited at: 9th Feb 2005 16:24
Nah, I tried setting the ambient lighting and how the model is affected by it, and I also made sure the normals were not flipped and it wouldn't work, but I finally figured it out. I edited the material in 3DS max until it had an extremely high specular level and raised the self illumination. It seems that the Panda X exporter causes this problem but its easy to remedy, I'll just have to keep it in mind while I'm modelling.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

EDIT- It also works to just use the Set Object Ambient command with a flag of zero so the object isn't affected by the ambient lighting at all. For whatever reason I kept putting the flag to one when I was trying before.

Neeeeeeeewom!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 11:29:35
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 11:29:35