Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Help a Newbie

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2005 09:23
Hi, im pretty much new to DarkBASIC. I did Binary Moons tutorial, which gets you from the "print" functions to making a 3D game.
Well, i got as far as the 3D game, then nothing registered. I dont know why. I mean, none of the code was registering with me, it wasnt teaching me anything.
So, i need someone to help me start up a 2D game. I want to go for something simple. One of the first games. Like Pong, or pacman maybe. But i want to keep it simple 2D. Also, I dont want anyone telling me the exact code. Like, put a couple of bugs in it if you actually need to tell me the code. So, tell me what to do. But dont do it for me. Thats how I learn. Also, if their are any new functions that i need to learn, tell me them all at regular intervals when i need them. Make an example. Thanx!

Also, here are my skills with DarkBASIC, just so you know:

1) I can make any text commands
2) I can make simple 2D shapes and position them (Ellipse, Circle, Box)
3) I can load simple images, but i have a bit of trouble with positioning, loading, etc...
4) I can use most variables, $, #, etc....
5) I am proficiant with loops
6) I can hide the mouse
7) I have a very BASIC gist of keyboard control, no pun intended.
8) I can do Sync but i have no idea what it is.

Thanx,

Lemony Snippet

Lemony Snippets for Lemony games
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2005 10:29 Edited at: 6th Feb 2005 10:29
Quote: "8) I can do Sync but i have no idea what it is."

sync updates everything type it into DBP or DB and move ur mouse over it and hit F1 it explains it.

If ur using darkbasic i would make a 2d game but if ur using darkbasic pro i would suggest 3d

3D seems very confusing at first but is actually much easier once u get into it .

Look at the sticky (the permanent green arrow posts at the top of the board) thread of the pong tutorial, i hear its very good.

What are u having trouble with in 3D? Just post back with what ur having trouble with and we'll help u.

Video games…they can take you places unreachable, impossible, unfeasible. They put you in the book...they put you in the movie...they put you in a world, a world that before could only be imagined.
TravisP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2005 11:29
Post specific questions...

Note: The above I didn't say, your just crazy.

Not a ripoff of The Twilight Zone
Balthazar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2005 15:59
Well, since my dad owns an isp, and he uses proggramming heaps, so he is helping me with it. It is finnallly registering. BUT, i also would like some extra help, since im using DBC, could someone help me out with something 2d. All im asking is a 2d tutorial of pacman or something, to start with (Apart from the binary moon tutorial)

Balthazar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2005 16:00
Oh, and im also a bit confused with matrixes and how to make characters and stuff stick to hills, instead of just falling through the matrix.

Black Shadow
Years of Service
User Offline
Try http://www.hufsoft.com/darkbasic/ It is kind of cufusing if you are really new.
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2005 08:01
Do you know what a matrix is?
if not its pretty much a wireframe, that usually is made to represent terrain.
To stop from just going through the matrix use this:

hope that helps, and im not much of a 2D person, so sry cant really help u there

Video games…they can take you places unreachable, impossible, unfeasible. They put you in the book...they put you in the movie...they put you in a world, a world that before could only be imagined.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 12:19:18
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 12:19:18