Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Webserver

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2005 04:25 Edited at: 7th Feb 2005 04:30
My latest project has been to create a functioning webserver and it's going pretty well! With this application you will be able to host your own website on your own computer, with customisable defualt pages as well as 404 pages. I am going to introduce a log of server activies and statistical data on the most popular pages and files. Here's a screen shot of the GUI:

Any ideas, comments, suggestions?

~It's a common mistake to make, the rules of the English langauge do not apply to insanity~
IanG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2005 04:39
make a list view of the connections with the ip adress next to them so that it is easier to see

heres another suggestion - make it open source

what is it programmed in?

Used to be Phoenix_insane registered in september 2003 despite what the date says to the left <--
PC - amd athlon 2.0ghz, 512mb, GeForce FX 5200 128mb, 200gb, xp pro sp2
Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2005 04:43
Is it secure/accessable from the outside world? eg LAN

ionstream
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2005 04:47
Looks pretty cool, dude, but why do you need to type the port if you already have the type as "Web"?

Is this programmed in VB?

Killswitch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2005 05:34
Nope it's not programmed in VB, you can type in a different port if you wish (just thought i'd add it - no idea if it is useful). Currently you can't restrict it to a LAN but it is accessible to the outiside world. I was planning on adding the connects vs. IP address, however I can't find a way to get a clients IP atm.

Would anyone be intrested in purchasing this (once its finished, of course)?

~It's a common mistake to make, the rules of the English langauge do not apply to insanity~
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2005 06:05
Quote: "Would anyone be intrested in purchasing this (once its finished, of course)?"

Given the abundance of quality free web servers for the PC, don't stick too many hopes on this.

Super Joe crack combat soldier fights a long battle against overwhelming odds.
Killswitch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2005 06:32
Well even if I can't sell it then it'd still be cool if a few websites out there were hosted with my server.

Well I don't know about how easy Apache is, but with my server all you do is click 'Open' then select a defualt page, then select an error page and everything is up and running.

Current good features:

Tiny .exe
Very little system drain
Server can be run from a floopy disk!
Perminant ban of IP address
Custom Server name
Automatic statistics (to be added)
Supports wide range of files (.ppt through to .txt (.htm of course))
Password protection (no accidental closure)
Can be minimised to task bar

What features has Apache got?

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2005 07:06
How many simultaneous connections can be made? Can it dish out PHP?

--[GameBasic - Coming Soon]-- ^^^ banner generously designed by TheBigBabou
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2005 01:14
Quote: "What features has Apache got?"

More than you could ever hope to duplicate.

Seriously. I've no time to list even a fraction of them, see the Apache web site for info if you are really interested.

Your program is very much like Xitami which has a similar GUI that is as easy to use (although Xitami has a lot more features, but then it's been developed for years so that's fair enough, yours could catch up eventually), it is however free.

Keep on working on it, I'm not dissing the project at all, but this may not quite be the web server revelation you think it is

Cheers,

Rich

Super Joe crack combat soldier fights a long battle against overwhelming odds.
adr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2005 01:35
Quote: "If you can make it easier and more features than Apache... i think it could be popular."

Quote: "What features has Apache got?"

I'll admit, apache isn't the easiest thing to configure, but as for features? Well, to paraphrase Joey from friends, the question should be what does apache not have, and the answer would be nothing. Now, I've never had the pleasure of dabbling with IIS, so I don't know what the competition is, but Apache, in a word, kicks ass. From the simple stuff like <virtualhost> down to something sexxaaaay like mod_rewrite.

I'm not pissing on your chips here - I'm sure your web server kicks ass. However, if you want a project which could make money, rather than reinvent a very well established wheel, just make that wheel a bit more user friendly. I honestly thing you'd get better mileage for a shareware app (or a $5 app) if you made a graphical configuration utility for Apache.

For example, make a GUI which can configure apache to make certain directories accessable from certain IPs, and you've just saved me 10 minutes of mashing up my httpd.conf. Make something that can construct these in an intuitive way, and you may well have a killer app.

Does this smell like chloroform to you?
Killswitch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2005 03:10
Ok thanks to you advice I've decided to make it freeware! It would be nice to make some money for something that I have written but as you've pointed out there's very little chance its going to make anything. I still like this project so I will probally keep updating it and the like I did a search for Xitami and it looks pretty cool - I must include the hostname feature if I can work out how.

Thanks for your advice, I'll post here first as soon as the project is completed!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 12:19:31
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 12:19:31