Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Possible solution for Half-Life 2 engine loading problems

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2005 06:42
I've been playing Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines recently (for those who don't know, this game runs of the Source engine, which powers Half-Life 2), but with major loading problems. My system is more then capable of running the game:

CPU - AMD 2000+ (1.7ghz)
Ram - 512mb
GFX - Gforce FX 5600 256mb

this is way above the minimum specs and apart from cpu power I've got the recommended specs or better. So I would assume the game would run well. But no, it crawled, sometimes sitting there for more then 30 seconds during fights loading from the harddrive. The number of times I'd died because I was waiting for the game to resume during a fight, and when it did I had no time to defend myself. I'd almost given up playing the game until I started playing with some settings.

Under windows xp, in the properties for the game shortcut there's a tab called "compatibility", normally this would be used for old games to get them running. But there's on option of note "turn off advanced text services for this program". After selecting this option I found the game ran significantly faster, with far less harddrive access while running around the maps.

If anyone else is having trouble with Vampire: Bloodlines or Half-Life 2 loading too often during the game, try making that change on the shortcut. Remember that you must load the game via the shortcut and not the disc-insert-auto-load menu.

Be aware, that this probably won't help people running windows 98, since it doesn't have the same compatibility options, but there may be something, have a look.

Hope this helps a few people!

I don't suffer from insanity:

I enjoy every minute of it!
Emperor Baal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2005 06:58
Well, I play bloodlines too, but I dont have problems with loading times and all...

Btw, cant seem to find the option to turn advanced text services off aswell.

Avan Madisen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2005 06:31
Well, the improvement doesn't seem to last, and it's probably an isolated problem with my system.

I don't suffer from insanity:

I enjoy every minute of it!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 12:22:42
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 12:22:42