Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Bryce Converter?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2005 11:24
I was in the IRC and g00f mentioned to me that someone had made a Bryce Converter that allows you to save bryce models as .x files for use in dark basic pro. He said he couldn't find it so does anyone know where it is? If so please post a link or the adress here.

Causin' RUCCUS whereva' I go.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2005 17:38
I export from Bryce as obj (I think , not at my PC at the moment). From there you can use any program that can import as obj and export as X. I'm putting them into Gile[s], and exporting as dbo.

BatVink
Clueless
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2005 08:40
Hi RUCCUS,

I'm using Bryce 5 and it exports directly to .X format, no need for any converters and such. I routinely build and export outdoor scenes with a .X terrain, complete with texture file. I also get a heightmap that works really well as the elevation data for a DBPro advanced terrain object as long as the vertical is scaled down by about 70% (I don't know if it's Bryce or DBP that exaggerates it so much, but it's easy to overcome).

There appears to be a bug or "gotcha" in the .X export process, where if you don't do a screen or disk render, not all of the texture files or maps (ambient color, diffuse color, etc.) are available as options when you save as .X. But the .X export is definitely there and it works with DBPro.

Not all objects are exportable though. Terrains and lattices *are*. I've seen references that claim one other object type (boulders?) can be exported but can't confirm it.

There are various tips and tricks on the web for faking Bryce out in order to export other objects but all that I've found are really messy, and IMHO, way too much trouble when there are so many good 3D modeling tools around (Milkshape is still just about $20 USD I think, and my own favorite, GameSpace, is not that expensive).

Bryce is an incredible terrain generator so I'm not too upset about lack of .X support for other objects. I also rely on it heavily for making skybox textures, starbox textures, and scenery for billboarding. I'll eventually be buying Pandromeda's MojoWorld. It has .3DS export features for planets and terrain also, but it's about 3 times as expensive as Bryce.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 11:25:33
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 11:25:33