Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
For anyone who might actually know - I'm keen to make a game with a great story (substance over style), just like Half Life 1 did for the games world!
Will all story possibilities be possible with FPSCreator?
Coldnews
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2005 19:17
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=47337&b=21
this link will help you first of all. And then have a search around the forum for some proper answers.
Cutscenes are not possible yet, Waypoints and sound triggerzones are possible, as are events.

www.ColdNews.co.uk - the worlds first solo band.
New coldnews single avalable from here
Digital Death
Years of Service
User Offline
Cool! Thankx for the reply! I'm not fussed about cutscenes so I might look into purchasing FPSCreator when it's available!
SoulMan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2005 22:00
Just realizing this. Half Life really didn't have a story line. The premise of the game was that you were a scientist where an experiment went wrong and you had to escape black mesa. Along the way you met people who talked to you but that didn't happen very often. The game was interesting, but I wouldn't say it had the best storyline. It had the best dialog and AI. That's what really counted. HalfLife 2 had a much better storyline even though it was shorter. HL2 had HL1 to backup as a background giving it a better feel than the first one.
SoulMan

This is as backwards as is This
Noldor
Years of Service
User Offline
I liked the First HL more then the second one and
i think it has got one of the greatest storylines.
The way it plays out in fornt of you like you are
in it. Instead of boring cutscenes and text-screens.
Well thats some different opinions for you.
Lavitz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2005 22:31
@Noldor, I agree about HL1. Same thing for Halo 1.

Don't F**king cuss!
Freddy 007
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2005 23:02
The story in Half-Life 1 isn´t that great when you think about it.
As SoulMan says:

Quote: "Half Life really didn't have a story line. The premise of the game was that you were a scientist where an experiment went wrong and you had to escape black mesa. Along the way you met people who talked to you but that didn't happen very often."

I love Half-Life, and Half-Life 2. But it´s not a great storyline.
The incredible thing about HL 1 & 2, is the way the story is told.
Not by irritating cutscenes where you can´t interact with anything.
It is told by professors, and guards, that are in the disaster with you. They talk to you, and help you. It gives a way more realistic feel. And that, is the kind of storyline you can make in FPSC.

Check out PanzerGames at http://www.freewebs.com/panzergames
SkyCubes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2005 23:10
This is a simpleton speaking here, but it just occured to me. Couldn't a person create a texture for say a section of wall that has some text on it to support the story line?

Simple I know, but is it possible?

"Beware of people who try and belittle your ambitions. Small people do that. The really great people are the ones who make you feel that you too can become great" --Mark Twain
Coldnews
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2005 02:37
Quote: "Couldn't a person create a texture for say a section of wall that has some text on it to support the story line?"

yes completely possible, but it would look awful! Not to mention out of place...

www.ColdNews.co.uk - the worlds first solo band.
New coldnews single avalable from here
Digital Death
Years of Service
User Offline
You guys are right - the way the story was told can't be matched and I hope we'll be able to replicate this with FPSC!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 10:32:06
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 10:32:06